Is this the best Laser for hair growth?

Letsgrowmyhair

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading some of the various threads before posting this. I wanted to make sure it was not asked before. I hope this is the correct thread to ask this in.

I am designing and prototyping a Low Level Laser Helmet and wanted to get feedback and suggestions from the forum on what I think is the perfect laser for the helmet. I am going to have this custom made by a company I have already sourced.

250-300 Lasers per helmet - They would be surface mounted on a circuit board. They would not be the gold looking ones you see in many devices as those get quite hot.

Perfect Laser
Undiffused beam and uncollimated
Continuous wave (not flashing or pulsing)
5mW Output
680nm +/- 5 bandwidth
Continuous wave (not flashing or pulsing)
Less than 1 degree Temperature Change during 20 minute continuous operation
No coverings over laser - EX: Lens Cap

I am aiming for a laser with 70% efficiency to ensure the battery pack can be small and still last a few sessions.

Feedback, Thoughts and Suggestions?

logikmtr

Reaction score
I built a similar device, using laser diodes of the same specifications. These are standard red laser diodes that you can buy from amazon (sourced from China) for pennies on the dollar. The temperature difference may be hard to achieve. One degree (I'm assuming Fahrenheit?) is not a lot considering the power output of the diode, and their continuous current draw over 20 minute sessions. I guess it depends on the diode on your BOM.

When I went to a hair doctor, they showed me a laser hat, quoted me $3000, and gave me a pamphlet that had all the specs in it, as a selling point. I read it for 3 seconds and figured I could build one for less than $75. It ended up being $20 ;) Best of luck to you.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
It's good that your ingenuity resulted in such a remarkable monetary savings for you. Of course it would be far better if you would/could show or share with us how well your "econo laser" has saved your falling hair.
I built a similar device, using laser diodes of the same specifications. These are standard red laser diodes that you can buy from amazon (sourced from China) for pennies on the dollar. The temperature difference may be hard to achieve. One degree (I'm assuming Fahrenheit?) is not a lot considering the power output of the diode, and their continuous current draw over 20 minute sessions. I guess it depends on the diode on your BOM.

When I went to a hair doctor, they showed me a laser hat, quoted me $3000, and gave me a pamphlet that had all the specs in it, as a selling point. I read it for 3 seconds and figured I could build one for less than $75. It ended up being $20 ;) Best of luck to you.

logikmtr

Reaction score
It's good that your ingenuity resulted in such a remarkable monetary savings for you. Of course it would be far better if you would/could show or share with us how well your "econo laser" has saved your falling hair.

It's hard to tell how well it worked, really. I started a regimen of the big 3, along with occasional light dermarolling (to help with minoxidil absorption) and the laser device in the same month. I am going through a shed currently, but I do plan on posting images of the improvements in the success/results board. In the first five months of use, I did regrow a decent amount of hair, although I can't say it was definitely one thing or another that did the trick. I can only say that the combination was successful.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I've no doubt that the big 3 is improving your hair status, however can't help but remain skeptical that the laser approach remains a bust in terms of any efficacy. Good luck with your continued progress.

logikmtr

Reaction score
Thanks, walker! I wholeheartedly agree, the whole LLLT is iffy at best, but I figured if I'm doing this, I might as well go hog-wild.

There are also youtube videos that show exactly how to make a laser hat. Point is, don't spend thousands of dollars on a device that has such low efficacy.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Absolutely you make an excellent point.