Islander's story (20 year old)

Islander

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, My story won't be astronomically different from others. I've been reading this forum for a while and decided to post my story in hope of mental support and maybe help. I am a 20 year old russian guy and I've always had an amazing full head of hair so I never thought I will end up here. But after my trip to Thailand last august people started commenting that I am losing my hair. I didn't belive it at first. Losing hair was the last thing I predicted for myself especialy at such a young age. I always weared it very long since I was and still into metal music/nature. I was even voted "best hair" during highschool, yeah even girls were jealous. My maternal grandfather died recently in his late 60's and he still had full head of hair, my faternal granpa is over 70 and he still haven't lost a single hair. My father on the other side is buzzing his hair to 0 since his mid 20's beacuse he has thin and greasy hair like his mother but he is 38 and he still has a somehow visible NW2.5 hairline.

I don't have any recession, but I've always had a very high hairline and a big forehead. I am now diffused in a NW3-4 horseshoe pattern. Nor using any tratments right now, but thinking about taking finasteride since it seems to be the only stuff that works a little. I have a very serious case of BDD and I can't imagine living without my hair, it means so much to me. I feel like a crippled person right now. Please help me with some practical advice. I will upload pictures someday.

Highgarden

Reaction score
Hey, Islander. My case is quite similar (I have some diffusion + mild recession that nobody except me can notice) and I can understand you because hair has always been an important aspect of my life and I'm unable to imagine myself without it (or even being unable to grow it longer than most people do).

You should get finasteride as soon as possible - you will regret every day of delay. I don't know whether you are worried about side effects, they are rather rare.

Islander

Established Member
Reaction score
Highgarden said:
Hey, Islander. My case is quite similar (I have some diffusion + mild recession that nobody except me can notice) and I can understand you because hair has always been an important aspect of my life and I'm unable to imagine myself without it (or even being unable to grow it longer than most people do).

You should get finasteride as soon as possible - you will regret every day of delay. I don't know whether you are worried about side effects, they are rather rare.

What about your family history? Is it similar to mine? I am not sure in finasteride. Not so scared about side effects as much as it not that practical. I've read that as soon as you drop it - the hair is gone again. I maybe have another year or two to think, and maybe I'll even recover without taking meds. Atleast I hope I will.

Highgarden

Reaction score
Father (50) is about NW2, his brother Norwood 1-1.5 (and really LOW hairline), their father (74) NW2 and has super thick hair (two years ago he had still his NW1...). My mother's brother (48) is NW2 too but my maternal grandfather (79) is slick bald (started receding at about 16-17, according to him). He still had his forelock and was able to create pretty mean comb-overs (using hair from the top of his head, not sides) when he was 50.

Islander

Established Member
Reaction score
Similar in the way that the only one man in a recent family history has hair loss. But, dude, having a bald maternal grandfather is like "guy you`re doomed" certeficate...