It all started when i was 17 years old.

Henkie22

Reaction score
Hello fellow hairlosstalk members.

I joined this forum a few weeks ago, just to get information about all the products available today for Androgenetic Alopecia.
Yes, i am also doomed with Androgenetic Alopecia. It runs in my family. 4/6 sons of my grandma are bald, but my dad has still his hair.
My older brother is already bald (age 25). My younger brother (20) has hair thick as a horse tail.
The oldest brother can cope with his hair loss, but i can't. In 2014 i went to a clinic for hair loss and they prescribed me Dutasteride 0,15 mg. At the time in 2014, i was 17 years old. These dutasteride pills were €50,- each month and it was to expensive for me or my parents at the time. My cousin, currently 30 years old, is taking these dutasteride pills for 2 years now. He had the same hair as me now when he started the pills. A thin crown and temples. He did not notice any side effects except for mood swings. However, he did notice a thicker crown, temples still the same. But you can't see his scalp anymore.

I never had the courage to take these pills, I was to scared of the side-effects.
It all changed when i saw pictures of myself where i saw a very thin crown. It hurt like hell. This was the reason I searched the web for a 'cure' for my hairloss. At the time I was 17 my dermatologist also prescribed me Minoxidil, but that did not work. I was shedding like hell, so i got scared and quit the Minoxidil. Now I am done with my hair loss and i just want to stabilize what I have now, hoping to hold on until there is a cure for this disease.

I ordered my Dutasteride 0,15 mg pills, they should arrive on Monday. That is when I am going to start using these pills.
I also made an appointment with 2 clinics for a "Derma Stimulation Treatment http://www.beautycarenederland.nl/haargroei-stimulatie/ " it is Dutch so use a translator if you want to read more about it.
I also made an appointment for "PRP for hair loss http://www.dermaclinic.nl/behandelin...ij-haaruitval/ " also in Dutch.

I have a few questions:
Is it wise to get on of the 2 treatments "Derma Stimulation Treatment"?
Is it worth to start on the Dutasteride pills with my current situation?
Can I use anything else with the Dutasteride? Minoxidil is not working for me.
Do you think I can have a buzzcut?
Now some pictures with my hair how it is right now and in 2014 in the clinic.

Clinic januari 2014.jpg
Close up front 8-5-16.JPG
crown 8-5-16.JPG
left temple 8-5-16.JPG
right temple 8-5-16.JPG
status praesens 8 may 2016.jpg

Thanks in advance. Excuse me for any grammar mistakes, English is not my native language.

Update:

Started with taking the dutasteride 0.15mg pill yesterday.

Update 2:
1 week using 0.15mg dutasteride gave me in the first 3 days a little sensitive chest. So far no other sides. Libido did not decrease, but slightly in creased. It only took more time to ejaculate. I don't think my girlfriend was bothered by it. Will post a photo update at the 4 weeks mark. I also did not have a shed. Is this a bad sign?

Attachments

• Clinic januari 2014.jpg
    Clinic januari 2014.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 464
  • Close up front 8-5-16.JPG
    Close up front 8-5-16.JPG
    465.1 KB · Views: 429
  • crown 8-5-16.JPG
    crown 8-5-16.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 391
  • left temple 8-5-16.JPG
    left temple 8-5-16.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 347
  • right temple 8-5-16.JPG
    right temple 8-5-16.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 355
  • status praesens 8 may 2016.jpg
    status praesens 8 may 2016.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 402

Fullhead1day

Established Member
Reaction score
A shed is a good sign of the drug working. Get back on Minoxidil, endure the shed, and see hair regrowth.
Yes, it is worth it to start Dutasteride. In fact, you have to start it.
I'm always against those types of websites or clinics, I always seem them as scam. But it just seems like dermaneedling, you can do that yourself. Unless I read it wrong, I skimmed over it, sorry. But for sure, get on dutasteride + minoxidil.

Henkie22

Reaction score
Thanks for your response!

I have a free consult on Thursday with the first on. I don't have the guts to derma needle myself. Worried it will make it worse. Can you give me some more advice?

How can a shed be a good sign of the drug working? If you can explain this to me I maybe get back to minoxidil and Dutasteride. What % minoxidil should I use?

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you sure the dutasteride is .15mg dose? The standard dose is .5mg.

Henkie22

Reaction score
Are you sure the dutasteride is .15mg dose? The standard dose is .5mg.

Yes, definitely. See the pictures below.

The picture with the text about the meds and the side effects say they chose for a lower dose, because the chance on side effects will drastically decrease with 0,15mg instead of 0,5 mg. In the clinic they told me they did not notice any difference in the 0,5 mg or 0,15 mg dosage except for the fact that with the 0,5mg the side effects were more there than with the 0,15 mg.

IMG_7529.JPG
IMG_7531-2.JPG

Fullhead1day

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response!

I have a free consult on Thursday with the first on. I don't have the guts to derma needle myself. Worried it will make it worse. Can you give me some more advice?

How can a shed be a good sign of the drug working? If you can explain this to me I maybe get back to minoxidil and Dutasteride. What % minoxidil should I use?
A shed is a good sign because your hair may need to fall off in order to come back thicker. This occurs with most people. It has to do with hair cycles, which I don't have time to explain. But shedding is a good indicator that the drug is working, and dont worry. All the hair you shed will come back thicker.
Start with 5% minoxidil, and then move your way up to 10% or 15% if you think you need it. Also, 0.5 mg of dutasteride is superior to 0.15mg, I know that for a fact. It's up to you though, if you are scared of potential side effects, then start low, see how you tolerate it, and then move your way up to 0.5mg if you want to.

Henkie22

Reaction score
I will use this thread as my blog. I will post every week something new in here. Yesterday i took the first Dutasteride 0,15mg pill. I am very curious about how this is going to be for me.

Henkie22

Reaction score
Is it possible to feel side effects just after three days? It feels like my chest is already getting sensitive. Could this be a placebo effect in three days or is it really physical? Please help :(

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
You have to realize you are taking drug that can harm your body.You will have some sides. It depends on what you value more. Im taking dutasteride and have bad sides,but I will keep taking it.

Henkie22

Reaction score
I am trying to hold on this month. If it is not getting worse I will continue taking these pills.

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, definitely. See the pictures below.

The picture with the text about the meds and the side effects say they chose for a lower dose, because the chance on side effects will drastically decrease with 0,15mg instead of 0,5 mg. In the clinic they told me they did not notice any difference in the 0,5 mg or 0,15 mg dosage except for the fact that with the 0,5mg the side effects were more there than with the 0,15 mg.

View attachment 40395
View attachment 40396

Interesting, thanks. I'm going to be following your results. Hope the best for u bud

Henkie22

Reaction score
Update 2:
1 week using 0.15mg dutasteride gave me in the first 3 days a little sensitive chest. So far no other sides. Libido did not decrease, but slightly increased. It only took more time to ejaculate. I don't think my girlfriend was bothered by it. Will post a photo update at the 4 weeks mark. I also did nog have a shed. Is this a bed sign?

sp1989

Reaction score
Update 2:
1 week using 0.15mg dutasteride gave me in the first 3 days a little sensitive chest. So far no other sides. Libido did not decrease, but slightly increased. It only took more time to ejaculate. I don't think my girlfriend was bothered by it. Will post a photo update at the 4 weeks mark. I also did nog have a shed. Is this a bed sign?

Did you have anymore updates since the forum reset? Curious to see any progress?

Henkie22

Reaction score
I will update as soon as I run out of my first batch of pills. I do not expect miracles after30 days.

Ventures

Established Member
Reaction score
You have very aggressive Androgenetic Alopecia ? You don't seem to have body hair on your arms, ahat about your chest, legs, and beard ?

So you are 19 years old ? That's pretty aggressive baldness. it seems you have very sensitive scalp hair to androgens. In that case even dutasteride might not halt or reverse hair loss since it elevates T. finasteride and dutasteride works better in individuals with normal sensitivity and high levels of DHT.
But if you have low DHT level in the beginning, lowering want do anything good, and of course you might experience sides

How was your maternal grandfather ? When he did start to bald, recede ? Your hair does it resemble more to your mom or dad ?

Henkie22

Reaction score
You have very aggressive Androgenetic Alopecia ? You don't seem to have body hair on your arms, ahat about your chest, legs, and beard ?

So you are 19 years old ? That's pretty aggressive baldness. it seems you have very sensitive scalp hair to androgens. In that case even dutasteride might not halt or reverse hair loss since it elevates T. finasteride and dutasteride works better in individuals with normal sensitivity and high levels of DHT.
But if you have low DHT level in the beginning, lowering want do anything good, and of course you might experience sides

How was your maternal grandfather ? When he did start to bald, recede ? Your hair does it resemble more to your mom or dad ?

I made a mistake with the years I am currently 22 years old. I have a lot of hair on my chest and legs. Thank god I do not have much hair on my arms. My beard grows fast and a lot, but I shave my beard. I did not experience any side effect, aside from the first 2 days when my chest was a bit sensitive. My grandfather was bald, i do not know when he started. My hair resembles more to my dad. I started to lose my hair very fast this year. I will upload a picture of June 2015 in a few hours. My crown is almost gone by now in comparison with a year ago.