It is over......I am shedding Terminals

G

Yes, I guess that´s it…… I have finally lost the struggle against hairloss, but let me tell you from the beginning. 10 months on Finasteride slowed it down a bit, but I wanted to stop the disaster, so I decided to upgrade for Dutasteride. After the initial shedding weeks my hairloss seemed to have stabilized. I was quite happy so far. Then I started Rogaine Foam in order to get some regrowth. No results so far apart from a bloated face, until last weekend. I suddenly started losing dozens of hairs while showering and particularly at combing my hair afterwards. At first I tried to ignore it, thought it was a bad hair day or something. But last night I counted……After shampooing I found 13 hairs in my hands, the average number before was between 3 and 6. But the true shocking came when I combed my wet “hairâ€￾ after showering. I found 17 hairs on my comb! AFTER showering!! And these were not vellus hairs shed by minoxidil, but thick and healthy terminal hairs!!! I am desperate now. I am on dutasteride and Min, the strongest treatments, but I continue losing ground due to my aggressive hairloss. Now I am constantly thinking about what else can I do? Are my treatments TOO strong for my hairloss, shall I stop dutasteride or Min and go back to finasteride? OR maybe I should stop treatments altogether, just go bald and kill myself  Time to say goodbye, I guess1
What else can I do?

hairforce9

Established Member
Reaction score
bro, you only counted 30 hairs when in average people lose 50-100 hairs a day, which is considered normal. aggressive hairloss would be losing 150+ hairs a day, your not even close to that plus your not suppose to be counting hairs anyways it just makes you more insane. also think if you wernt on the treatments how many hairs would you really be loosing?

T

Timi

under minoxidil was my shedd 10Month long and have never stoped

my Corners so big as never bevor

Day for Day falls Hairs 10-30 and never come back
and the Hairs look bad

my Hairs today better NO minoxidil no shed

minoxidil can work bad
in our Board many have this Experience

Timi

wanttobehippie

Reaction score
sudden changes

I never had 13 hair loss in the best days of my life. What do you say about 600 a day? (300 in the morning, raining hairs all day and 200 in the evening. Or 500 in sink after washing, rest raining).
In your case the problem could be your sudden changes. That is what hair roots don't like. Minoxidil doesn't work with everyone, I myself gave up on it. But you can't judge when you don't give it enough time. Minoxidil shortens hair phases, so it is normal to shed long hair (oldest). If you want to keep long hair, it could be wrong. I had a significant reduction in shedding with Pantostin (Alfatradiol) without shortening, but since I am a transman and had my ovaries out, shedding started again. It grew worse with Finasterid, as described above.
All I know so far.

antonio666

Reaction score
This kind of shedding is totally the norm for dutas,just ride it out ,i can't
tell you that it will 100% get better because not everyone responds to it but you have a very good chance,and you seem to be responding already because your having heavy shedding.
I really wish things would go better for you,because i know what mental torture you are going through,just try to ride it out

G

hairforce9 said:
bro, you only counted 30 hairs when in average people lose 50-100 hairs a day, which is considered normal. aggressive hairloss would be losing 150+ hairs a day, your not even close to that plus your not suppose to be counting hairs anyways it just makes you more insane. also think if you wernt on the treatments how many hairs would you really be loosing?

read again, I COUNTED 30 hairs, in reality I am losing many more....

it's just a minoxidil shed, maybe you heard of these before?

Yes, I have heard about people shedding their weak Vellus hairs, but not the thick Terminal ones! I don´t think it is caused by treatments, just my hairloss getting out of control.

I never had 13 hair loss in the best days of my life. What do you say about 600 a day? (300 in the morning, raining hairs all day and 200 in the evening. Or 500 in sink after washing, rest raining).
In your case the problem could be your sudden changes. That is what hair roots don't like. Minoxidil doesn't work with everyone, I myself gave up on it. But you can't judge when you don't give it enough time. Minoxidil shortens hair phases, so it is normal to shed long hair (oldest). If you want to keep long hair, it could be wrong. I had a significant reduction in shedding with Pantostin (Alfatradiol) without shortening, but since I am a transman and had my ovaries out, shedding started again. It grew worse with Finasterid, as described above.

I would kill myself if I would lose 600 hairs a day. Yeah, I know there are people worse off than me, but it doesn´t make my situation any different. What is Pantosin, can I use this as well?

This kind of shedding is totally the norm for dutas,just ride it out ,i can't
tell you that it will 100% get better because not everyone responds to it but you have a very good chance,and you seem to be responding already because your having heavy shedding.
I really wish things would go better for you,because i know what mental torture you are going through,just try to ride it out

Not sure, whether it is actually the Dutas, might be the minoxidil as well. As long as it is only thinning I can still tolerate it, but when the hairline is going I don´t know what to do....... :( I am too weak to live this life without my hair.

G

When it is gonna stop? Just took a shower and I COUNTED about 60-70 hairs, not including the ones I didn´t see, I don´t wanna think about how many I actually lost.....

It´s over for me......

Aplunk1

Reaction score
How long have you been on Dutasteride? I ask because I got my first real shed @ 6 months, and it was a hell of a shed. Slartibartfast also got his shed @ 6 months.

Tauge, honestly, it doesn't sound like you are even having a shed. I find hairs all over my computer and face, but I am still maintaining. It's okay to lose that many hairs. Plus, you have long hair, right? You know what I do? I cut my hair short, into a buzzcut, SIMPLY because I don't want to see the hairs that fall out. It makes me feel better. Plus, I don't have to comb my hair and notice all those hairs coming out.

I'll send you a pic of my buzzcut.

Keep your head up, brother. There's really nothing more you can do. You're using treatments. I suggest you keep up with them, and stick to the Dutasteride until you make it to a year.

G

Aplunk1 said:
How long have you been on Dutasteride? I ask because I got my first real shed @ 6 months, and it was a hell of a shed. Slartibartfast also got his shed @ 6 months.

Tauge, honestly, it doesn't sound like you are even having a shed. I find hairs all over my computer and face, but I am still maintaining.

Keep your head up, brother. There's really nothing more you can do. You're using treatments. I suggest you keep up with them, and stick to the Dutasteride until you make it to a year.

thanks for your encouragement. I am using dutasteride for almost 3 months, Foam since about 3 weeks. And I was shedding before as well, but the last days it has increased DRAMATICALLY. Did you also shed Terminals?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Yeah, I shed some terminal hairs, but less than half of them were terminal. They HAVE to shed, man. It's part of your body's natural function to shed them. Even if you didn't have male pattern baldness, you'd still shed them.

astral week

Established Member
Reaction score
dude it's more normal to shed terminal hair than vellus hair. If shedding terminal hair meant you were screwed, I'd have lost all my hair long ago, as I PRIMARILY shed terminal hairs, and guess what? I just got a haircut yesterday and i think my hair actually thickened up a little. Throughout the last year I went through several small sheds, they don't really mean much, as much as you want to analyze them. don't think about it so much.

G

astral week said:
dude it's more normal to shed terminal hair than vellus hair. If shedding terminal hair meant you were screwed, I'd have lost all my hair long ago, as I PRIMARILY shed terminal hairs, and guess what? I just got a haircut yesterday and i think my hair actually thickened up a little. Throughout the last year I went through several small sheds, they don't really mean much, as much as you want to analyze them. don't think about it so much.

I am not worried about shedding a few Terminals, i am worried about the dramatic increase of the number of shed hairs.

beaner

Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
astral week said:

I am not worried about shedding a few Terminals, i am worried about the dramatic increase of the number of shed hairs.

Dude. You started Rogaine foam 3 weeks ago. You know damn well it can cause shedding so why are you acting like a newbie that doesn't have a clue rather than someone with almost 2 thousand posts?

wanttobehippie

Reaction score
Don't panic, the stress will only make things worse.
You can#t imagine what it means to me: that I could have become a man 20 years ago, if I had known that it was possible. The loss of life and the actual fear of the future (consequences of lost careers) is hard to swallow. And it is not possible to substitute the c***.
I can only say that: I'm so glad that people now react properly to me -as a man- that I think I will be able to cope with baldness, if nothing helps. But I needed 3/4 of a year to tell me that my life can't hang on my hair, although it is/was a matter of identity to me.
I think the worst is the time you fight and don't know if you can hope or not. I'm trying to solve other problems to not concentrate on the hair problem.
Pantostin can't do you any harm, cause you use it locally. It is normally for slight hairloss, but I used it twice a day and had an immediate effect of shedding stop. BEFORE the op. Maybe my hair wants more estrogen than a born mans hair. The estrogen is said to be a counterpart to DHT, as the other remedies.
It is 40 E for 3 months or 2, depending on the amount you need to cover the parts.
Don't change again, I'd rather add.
Be a man about it ... (I know its clishe´)

astral week

Established Member
Reaction score
I was shedding considerably more than usual a week or so ago and I freaked out a little, and it stopped after 4 or 5 days. I completely empathize with why you freak out but you have to think rationally; shedding a few more terminal hairs than normal means NOTHING. nothing nothing nothing. THe only thing that matters is longer-term trends. Do yourself a favor and peel yourself away from the computer and mirror and do something to take your mind off things. I recommend seeing "superbad" if it's opened in germany yet. HI-larious!

bold

Reaction score
I lost ~100 hairs per day about a month ago (finasteride shed).
It lasted about 3 weeks but luckily ~95% of those hairs were from area where I had no hairloss. I was going nuts too but it's not reasonable to stop, the only way to get your hair back (maybe) is to keep going no matter what. You're going bald without treatments 99% sure so theres nothing to lose..

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Taug, I just hope the foam after using it for 10 months does not trade nice thick terminal hairs for new whispy thin hairs like it did for me. I got lots of regrowth with new whispy thin hairs. My hair has thinned only were I put the foam. I am starting to believe it was the drying of effect of the foam that ruined my thick hairs since everyone says it is impossible for minoxidil to ruin good terminal hairs. Unless Propecia can cause terminal hairs to become thinner the only thing left to blame is the foam since my hair feels like straw in the areas I apply it. My hairs kind of look like split ends. I even went to using it once a day. The only time my hair looks good is without it. Hope you have better luck with it than I did.