ItsARecession's Story - (22)

ItsARecession

Reaction score
About six months ago, around my 21st birthday, I noticed my hair receding hard, out of nowhere. I hoped it was just stress related, cause I knew nothing about baldness at the time.....but it kept happening. Eventually I saw a doctor who told me it was a serious case of male pattern baldness.

I'm only now considering that I really will want to get back into dating at some point in the future...but I feel like I have a time limit to find someone. I'm going bald, fast. This recession happened in just over a year and a half.

I know this sounds incredibly shallow in light of the more serious things that happened, it's just that as I'm slowly coming around to the idea that I'm going to have to date again at some point, I'm also just losing all my confidence, which is awful timing what with the depression and all.

So I'm here in desperation, hitting up the big three. I just want something to go right for a change, so hopefully...you never know. It could happen.

Trying not to sit here in self pity, doing something about it. Just bad timing. Any advice anyone has, I would love.

Nizoral, Proscar, Rogaine. Here's hoping!

Attachments

• rightside.jpg
    rightside.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 288
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 268

ItsARecession

Reaction score
Re: It's A Recession - My story.

I've seen the term "hairline rape" being tossed around, and I think that definitely applies here.

Anyone think any of the products I'm on will actually do anything, based on my pictures? I know hairline is the toughest to get back, so right now, I'm just looking to maintain what I have. Getting some back would be nice, but that's like a far off dream at the moment.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

hello mate, sorry about your situation but I'm going to put a positive spin on the hair side of things anyway and say that it's at a very early stage, look at some of the other people on here and you're in a good position because you've started this early and that gives you a massive boost in your chances of fighting this.

ItsARecession

Reaction score

Thanks man! I'm actually really glad to hear that.

I'll post updates as this goes on.

Winter

Reaction score

dude I hear you, but I can assure you that you have a great chance of reinforcing your hairline and keep it that way for atleast a good couple of years. I had the same thing going on two years ago, I saw my whole hairline thin out and my temples starting to recede. I jumped on finasteride and rogaine and today my hairline is back to normal, looking great.

It will probably start to go downhill again in like 5 years but its better to go bald at nearly 30 than 20, right? And when youre 30 you can always go down the transplant road!

Best of luck to you man and Im sure you will soon (3 months) see tiny new hairs along your hairline! Rogaine is the sh*t

ItsARecession

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear it! and yeah man, all I'm asking is for a couple more years, 30 is better than 20 any day. It's great knowing it worked so well for you too, hearing a success story is always better than negativity. :punk:

ItsARecession

Reaction score
Alright so I know 3 months in of taking minoxidil is a bit early to post anything, but I'm just lookin for some opinion on what feels like a pretty hefty recent shed. so I thought I'd post a little update pic.

In my opinion, it's thinning pretty hard, especially towards the middle of my head. After 3 months, does Rogaine usually start working? I expected a shed, I'm just hoping this is usual. Not gonna panic, or stop, cause I know most results are achieved on a 1/2 yearly scale, not month by month.

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

Attachments

• 3monthsupdate.jpg
    3monthsupdate.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 2,188

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Impossible to tell from that photo but it looks like hair that you do have is as thick as hell!

RF102

Reaction score
Hey man, me and you have a pretty similar hairline recession. Keep us updated on how well the proscar works out for you and if you get any of the side effects associated with finasteride. Best of luck.

ItsARecession

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I used to have very thick hair. It's thinning out quite a bit though. When it's wet you can see my scalp on the left and right sides of my head very clearly, all the way back past my ears.

I also have a super weak chin so I can't rock the bald look.

RF: In terms of side effects, I've had 0 sides from either minoxidil or Finasteride so far. I'm on my fourth bottle of minoxidil and have been on finasteride since I believe March so...things look good on that front!

Here's a quick look at the side hairline now. Left is 8 months ago, Right is today.

I'm lucky in that I dont have any loss in my crown area, but all the recession you see there has taken place in the last two years. That's why I'm worried, hopefully the minoxidil will begin to come through a bit soon.

ps. sorry for the black circles, I like to keep some mistaken hope of internet privacy where I can haha

Attachments

• leftandrightsides.jpg
    leftandrightsides.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 234

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That recent pic of you is only after 3months of minoxidil and finasteride right??.... If that's the case you'll need to wait at least 6-9months before you see serious results from those...

Both minoxidil and finasteride will give you a HEAVY initial shed.

HiLite

Reaction score
keep fighting bro. same boat as you 21 on the big 3. im around 7-8 months now. hair still thin, but definatley seeing small hairs along hairline. looking forward to future success. keep your head up and jump back on the dating train, sounds like u got a lot of seman backed up in ya.

ItsARecession

Reaction score
just a little update, I'm going to my Doctor, Cam Simmons from the Hair Transplant Centre in toronto, for a one-year evaluation this month. (March haha). Hopefully he'll have good things to say, but I'm not sure. Then again, I'm never the best judge of how I look.

I'll try to get the year old/new pics he took for you guys to see how the regimen has been working.

Unfortunately, since I'm stuck in Canada, I can only get minoxidil 2% so I think I'm going to ask him for a prescrip for the 5.

ItsARecession

Reaction score
Alright, I went do doctor simmons, a couple of months ago, and he took new pictures of my hairline, and said it seems as though the recession has been seriously slowed down, for now. The difference in my hair between 09/10 is HUGE, and continued until i began the big 3 regimen. Since then, in his opinion, it has slowed down. Being me, i obviously believe it's still receding, but you're never the best judge of yourself. Anyways it's encouraging to hear that from him! He says I'm still too young for a transplant, so I have to hold out a couple of years and hope the big 3 stabilize my hair enough for the transplant to work.

This is after about a year and a half on finasteride and about one year on minoxidil...but i haven't been that great with my usage of minoxidil. I travel a lot and it's hard to keep up with. Sorry, crappy pics again, I'm just tossin em up for comparison to the previous ones. The top view again, and the worst temple.

July2012-2.jpgjuly2012.jpg

MGZ

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm telling you right now, minoxidil is not going to work wonders and doesn't target the problem like most have said.

Don't be scared of finasteride, if you have sides quit.

Propeciahelp ruined my chances of keeping my hair. I've been on 2.5mg of finasteride for 3 months and my hair is stronger, but I feel its too late to grow it all back.

I spoke with my dermatologist, best in my city, and he said the sides are blown way out of proportion.

Type in Tylenol lawsuit in google and you'll find a site dedicated to it, same with ANY OTHER DRUG.

If you don't like the odds of being in the 1% of me who get sides, or the 0.0005% of men who have long lasting side effects, then I don't know what to say.

God speed