I've found diet and exercise makes a difference to slowing my hair loss

jmerchant

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm John and started losing my hair when I was 20. I was put onto mino and took it for awhile but it wasn't for me. I researched about this drug and saw what the side effects are and the mixed reviews and figured it's a bit of a hit or miss. What I've actually done is just focused on my diet and exercise and I've noticed that the healthier I eat and the more exercise I do the less my hair falls out. Has anyone else found something similar?

boobyinspector

Established Member
Reaction score
Weird, exercises increases DHT:
[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]Exercisers trained a mean of 370 min.wk(-1) (102% of goal), with only two dropouts. Cardiopulmonary fitness (.VO(2max)) increased 10.8% in exercisers and decreased by 1.8% in controls (P < 0.001). DHT increased 14.5% in exercisers versus 1.7% in controls at 3 months (P = 0.04); at 12 months, it remained 8.6% above baseline in exercisers versus a 3.1% decrease in controls (P = 0.03).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18202581

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Stress can make hair fall out though, and exercising reduces stress.

jmerchant

Reaction score
But it is diet as well. I've totally changed my eating habits and even had to let say reduce certain drinking and smoking pleasures. Actually the smoking I had to give up because I noticed that that hair fell out more when i smoked. I also noticed that the better i ate the less my hair fell out so it was the combination of good eating and exercise when I noticed the least amount of hair fell out.

curiosity

Reaction score

That was a little bit of a selective quote:

Hawkins et al said:
DHT increased 14.5% in exercisers versus 1.7% in controls at 3 months (P = 0.04); at 12 months, it remained 8.6% above baseline in exercisers versus a 3.1% decrease in controls (P = 0.03). SHBG increased 14.3% in exercisers versus 5.7% in controls at 3 months (P = 0.04); at 12 months, it remained 8.9% above baseline in exercisers versus 4.0% in controls (P = 0.13).

SHBG also increases in parallel, which binds circulating DHT.

It is made locally at the scalp follicle, so that may be the more important place to measure it.

boobyinspector

Established Member
Reaction score
That was a little bit of a selective quote:

SHBG also increases in parallel, which binds circulating DHT.

It is made locally at the scalp follicle, so that may be the more important place to measure it.
DOH didn't even notice that. Good catch.