J_Friend's Story - (45)

J_friend

Reaction score
Hey folks - j_friend here. I've been coming here on and off (mostly off) for quite a few years now. As my age has increased (I'm 45 now), my complete obsession with MBP has lessened. What's more, I have a very serious girlfriend, who's quite spiritual, so even if the "worst happened" and I lost all my hair ... it probably wouldn't bother her much. However, the truth is, I have a LOT of hair. One would NEVER guess that for the past 27 years, MBP has consumed quite a bit of my thoughts.

It all started when I was 18 - fresh out of high school and now in college. I noticed that some hair was always coming out when I brushed it - much different from before. I also noticed that I eventually couldn't style it in the exact same way - I was definitely thinning. My brother, three years older, was thinning quite a bit ... and our grandpa was bald. Back then, the belief was that the baldness gene was passed from one's mother's side of the family - and it was Mom's dad who was bald. Fear began to set it. I was OVERLY obsessed with my appearance. I was a good lookin' bloke, and the thought of losing my nice head of hair was VERY frightening. Panic set in.

About six months later, I read an article in a local newspaper - some men who were taking the prescription heart medication, Minoxidil, had noticed some "odd" side effects - they were growing hair. Eyebrows were raised in the medical community, and there were some trials going on - pharmacist would crush the pills, add it to a liquid solution, and balding dudes were rubbing it on their heads. In addition, some of these guys had grown hair - and some had their remaining hair grow thicker. Good stuff - perhaps something other than "snake oil" had finally come into the world. What's more, some dermatologists were cool enough to write scripts for their patients - and pharmacists were making their own concoctions - usually at a stiff price. The seed was planted in my head.

In the meantime, punk rock came around, and my buddies and I began shaving our heads at times (not as skinheads, but just because we thought it was cool). This was great - I still had good hair, and it would grow back nice and thick. However, I noticed that it would grow back a little "less thick" each time. Around 1984, I went a cool dermatologist. Although he didn't think I had much of a problem with hair loss, he wrote me a script anyway. I believe it was for 1% minoxidil. The next script was for 2%. It would last a little over a month or so - I'd take it downstairs to the pharmacy and receive that odd little look from the man who was about to make my batch. And, even though I had a girlfriend at the time along with some very close friends ... I totally HID this from the world - I didn't want anyone to know.

I probably got 5-6 of those homemade bottles in total ... and as time went on, I believe Upjohn got a hold of a patent and called it Rogaine. I then began getting scripts for that ... and of course, hiding it in my underwear drawer. I'd get scripts on and off - since my hair was still pretty thick, sometimes I thought it was all in my head. I also massaged my scalp all the time, washed it every other day, and always rinsed with freezing cold water - I do that to this day (somewhere I read it was good for the follicles).

I eventually moved in with a gal who became my wife, and we had a child together - I was around 27-28 at this time. I began my teaching career around age 25 - so I taught school, had another job bartending at night (to make extra cash); and again, male pattern baldness was put on the mental backburner (somewhat - I still thought about it, but it seemed things leveled off - perhaps I would never lose my hair).

My wife and I split up, and I was back on the single's scene. Looks, once again, became important. I lost weight, surfed daily, lived in a cool beach pad, had my son half the time (which gals really liked), and began obsessing about the hair again. I began purchasing Rogaine again - often in Mexcio (only a few hours away) for a very cheap price. I'd make a little south o' the border run and pick up a 6-month suppy. I also had a good buddy who opened up with me about his fear of balding ... HAH, did I have news for him - he wasn't alone. We both discussed this new magic pill while surfing one day - it was in trials, and it was showing promising results. Perhaps a cure was actually possible! Enter Propecia. As soon as it came on the market, I got myself a script. A dermatologist by my house had "Pro-packs" for sale - you'd buy 3 months for $150, and get two weeks of samples for free. Hence, I did this for about three years ... maybe more. I definitely noticed that any hair loss occurring was halted ... and in the meantime, many of my friends, my brother, brother-in-law, etc. had been consistently losing their hair - they were, indeed, balding. Aside from my good buddy whom I discussed this with, it was still pretty much a secret. Funny how many of us keep this a secret - after all, if I have a full head of hair, I want to act like I earned it on my own - not with special help. Immature, vain, egotistical ... and yet true. :)

Time passed - I was on Propecia and Rogaine 5% for quite a while. And then another discovery: Dr. Lee's Xandrox. Good ol' minoxidil.com! Since I could actually drive there and pick up my products (only 20 min. away), I became a regular. First with 5% day and night formulas of Xandrox. Then, a few years later,I stepped up to the 15% Xandrox - the powerhouse. And finally, I'm now employing an array of things from Dr. Lee: Xandrox Plus (with finasteride), Minoxidil 6% plus (with finasteride), and regular Xandrox 5%. I also use his shampoos ... which are FULL of great stuff. One more thing, my good doctor (back in 2003, I believe) has continued to prescribe Avodart. I've been using dutasteride for about 5 years now - I've gone from three times a week, to once a week, and now to about twice a week.

So, I'm now 45, soon getting married again ... and yet, most of all this is still my little secret. My son, who is now 18, may begin losing his hair one day; and if so, good ol' Pops will step in and show him the ropes. I'll gladly by him Xandrox ... to be honest, the mere thought of sharing all this with him (if he ever has an issue with losing his hair) is exciting to me. I don't want him to feel alone, like I did.

Has this really all worked? Gosh, I'm not 100% sure. However, I'd have to say yes. As a small example, last summer my hair was definitely thinning on top - no bald spot - yet very thin. However, it's always been quite thick in front. Anyway, I got on the ball again - used the shampoo every other to every third day, used dutasteride twice a week, and used the Xandrox 15% EVERY single night. And, it has DEFINITELY worked and thickened my hair back up in the back. To be honest, I HAVE to use the Xandrox 5% before styling - it gives it MUCH more body. I use the 15% at night - it's pretty damned sticky, but effective. I must say, as much as I hate (and often doubt) plugs, I truly do recommend Dr. Lee's stuff. As someone who has gone to the office quite a few times, I can tell you that the employees definitely believe in him, and have nothing but good things to say. I've seen the warehouse section (which is simply connected to the front office), and there are shipments going ALL over the world. I'm sure there are other great doctors who do the same thing; however, since Dr. Lee is close by ... it's extremely convenient.

So, that's my story. I've posted before ... but never really given my entire story. At 45, I have a good head of hair, and I'm still a pretty good lookin' chap. I wish I could give you all words of wisdom - I really do. But that would be rather presumptuous. O can say this: I've now realized, as I've become more spiritual, that we should do the best we can do with our bodies - take care of them, exercise, eat right, etc. But trust me on this one, men: The women who are obsessed with having a HOT guy are definitely NOT worth having. After a year or so, you'll realize that they are shallow and lack substance - and you guys don't need that. Especially in Southern, CA - it's all about appearance out here, and MANY gals (just like dudes), simply want to find a trophy to display to the masses. I don't want to get preachy, because after 22 years of teaching I've realized that most people are going to do what they do until they learn the lessons in life. However, the more you work on the inner part of you, the less consumed you'll be with the baldness stuff. I know ... easy for me to say ... especially since I have a good head of hair and have had this "secret" for over 20 years. Anyway, that's it - thanks for reading. Take care, my friends ... my best to ALL of you!

j_friend

Goatboxer

Reaction score
Interesting read, thanks for sharing. It's good to hear an older guys view on hairloss (no offence meant).

J_friend

Reaction score
Goatboxer said:
Interesting read, thanks for sharing. It's good to hear an older guys view on hairloss (no offence meant).

LOL - that was a classic line, my friend. No offense taken, Goatboxer. However, trust me, good ol' j_friend is a lion that still has a bit of roar. Luckily, I look quite a bit younger. Gee ... I don't have an ego, do I? :)