Jaborandi, and other things in Brazil

sapinho

Reaction score
Passing through the hair section of a supermarket in Brazil you'll find a whole range of products claiming 'anti-queda', most of them containing an herbal extract found only in Brazil: Jaborandi (pilocarpina). The products range from a test-tube looking thingy of Jaborandi for less than $1 to expensive salon shampoos.

Googleling Jaborandi you'll quickly find that it's a known vasodilator studied in Europe in the late 1800's and is today used legitimately to treat Glaucoma. Its name means "slobber-mouth plant" because the Tupi Indians used it to induce saliva and sweating to treat certain conditions. On a forum I discovered that it was even (supposedly) the subject of the famous French cinematographer Georges Méliès (films in the style of Smashing Pumpkins' "Tonight, Tonight") in 1900 in which Georges (bald) magically grows hair via some cheesy special effects. :gay:

Though 'vasodilator' lends to comparisons with minoxidil, there are many vasodilators and clearly all of them don't necessarily grow hair. The most I could find on the US forums was someone claiming it contained flavonoids which could increase Nitric Oxide synthesis, thus "perhaps" making it similar to minoxidil. However, according to most "experts" on Brazilian hair loss forums, it is simply a gimmick or at most only has some limited affect if highly concentrated (haha). The most intriguing idea put forward was combining it with minoxidil similar to Retin A. I tend to agree (I'm no expert) that most of these (current) products probably do next to nothing and are aimed at the uninformed and/or women who really want "anti-breakage".

In regard to other things on the Brazilian forums, there are a lot of people still using Avicis (17a–Estradiol). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this has been pretty much abandoned here?

Also, the most well known doctor (who hosts the forum) is Dr. Milton Peruzzo, who likes prescribing Zymo HSOR. Made in Italy, it kills DHT in the scalp.
http://www.peruzzo.med.br/novidades-do-mes/zymo-h-s-o-r.asp
Anyone have more info on this? :dunno:

He also prescribes "Gel-FF" (topical finasteride+Flut+Enhancers).
http://www.peruzzo.med.br/novidades-do-mes/gel-transdermico.asp
Men who could afford his recipes (certain pharmacies in Brazil will "make" your prescription however you or your doctor want) were already using other products, so there was a lack of the "I just bought Gel-FF today and holy sh*t does it work :punk: "-type testimonies. Overall, most forum participants were using the big 3 much like ourselves.