jasybee's story

jasybee

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a 37 year old male who started to see early signs of balding aged 23.
It was slow and discreet at first and quite easy to hide but not the case now unfortunately.

I am now sadly at the Norwood 5 stage and looking to try to reverse it back a few years if I can.

Here is my hair loss timeline:

1997 - Diffuse thinning throughout scalp. Hair felt slightly thinner, with some small recession at front.
1998 - Recession at temples increased, patchiness seen at vertex and mid of hairline.
1999 - 2002 - hair stayed the same, reduction in hair loss. Hair was cut to grade 4 and always grew back providing good coverage.
2003 - 2004 - Frontal thinning worsening, thinning a sides of head also.
2005 - slight bald patch appearing at back of head, hidden by growing hair longer and washing hair every day to fluff it up.
2006 - Frontal recession almost claimed the front hairline. A lot of hair getting smaller and not growing as long as before.
2007 - 2008 patch gets bigger at back of head and more thinning
2008 - 2011 more diffuse thinning presenting a Norwood 5 pattern.

I would say that my hair stayed at Norwood 3 from 1998 - 2003 and from 2003 - 2006 became norwood 4. The last 5 years has progressed it a bit more along the scale.

Initially I was in the denial phase and then in 2005 I started taking Saw Palmetto and used Nizoral, T-Gel, and Selsun shampoo along with Polytar which I think all helped maintain my hair and slow down the process.

I found that SP made me feel depressed for no reason back in 2005 and owing to this depression and immune system dip I got prostatitis bad! I had to stop taking SP and had antibiotics for quite a while. I think the trauma of that event and the bad adverse reaction I had to Cipro after that cost me a lot of my hair.

I did recover somewhat and met my girlfriend just after that, aged 31 at the time. We have been together for 6 years. During that time I didn't use anything on my hair and didnt think it would get much worse but it has. During the past year I have been the victim of name calling and jokes and it's really upset me. Almost to the point of depression again. I have to be very careful as I went on holiday in 2007 and got food poisoning for 6 weeks after! When I got over that I got prostatitis again which lasted for 6 months. I have not had a good ride at all.

Since 2006 I have been in and out of jobs, in I.T. I am a skilled programmer, web developer, and was looking to start my own business but my confidence lately has been shot totally. I was also doing Kickboxing again after stopping it 10 years ago. Been doing that for 2.5 years now and was soon to get my Brown belt and I have not been for 2 months now due to being depressed. I thought I was over it and could 'accept' it but the truth is i can't. It really pisses me off and I think it has had a massive impact on my life. I know perhaps I should consider myself lucky as I am 37 and my baldness has only just become very noticable so I was spared all the grief when I was at college etc, but the truth is the pain never goes away.

In 2008 I was diagnosed with a urethral stricture and had surgery to remove it. I think the bugger has reformed tho so the surgery and 7 weeks of utter pain down below were not worth it!

I was the victim of name calling at school because my hair was red, so I got the usual ginger jokes but I didn't care much about that. Over time my hair colour has changed to auburn and in places it is quite dark as in dark brownish?

I was thinking about trying again to see if I could get back some of my lost hair that I have lost in the last 5 years as I read someone elses success story who was going bald for about 10-15 years and was a norwood 6 easily. He started on the meds and got back about 6 years worth of lost hair.

I started minoxidil 5% about 2.5 weeks ago and already my girlfriend has noticed small sprouts (not peach fuzz) of colourless hair appearing where my hairline used to be about 10 years ago! The hairs are quite small but you can see them quite clearly in the light. There is also some at the vertex as well? Is this a good sign?

I was interested in taking propecia but I am scared to death of the side effects and fear of complete impotence. My hair looks quite thin on top now but the back and sides are thick enough to form locks of hair.

I'm on the minoxidil, saw palmetto , and nizoral again and I have noticed less itching, burning on the scalp than I did before. I don't know whether I have left it a bit late or whether it's worth a try for a year to see if things improve? What do you think?

My so called friends have been saying get a grade 1 etc, but i've been there done that and it just upsets me even more.

My dad is very bald. He is a Norwood 7 with patchy hair on the back and sides. His hair was fine till he hit his mid 40s and then his hair went within about 7 years. By 50 he was bald! His dad had hair but he was a norwood 3-4. His mother was quite butch I would say and her dad was extremely bald. So it was passed down to him it seems. My mother has thinning hair now shes in her 60's and her dad had hair loss problems too so it looks like i've inherited it from her.

I was thinking of perhaps trying propecia but not sure if its a good idea seeing as ive had prostate problems in the past and a stricture. The Saw Palmetto has made my testes feel funny and my prostate doesn't seem all that happy now that i have decided to take it again.

I would like to hear your thoughts guys. Do you think I have any chance of partly reversing this or am I too far gone? I would appreciate your wisdom.

What I find interesting is that one of my friends who still has his hair seems to think that he is safe because his dad has quite thick hair. He is the spitting image of his mother though who is quite butch in her build and appearance. Her dad had baldness. I have noticed he has receeded a bit in the past 3-4 years forming the M shape but his hair is still thick. I think perhaps he might have problems when hes in his 40's?

For the moment my hair loss is patchy and diffuse on top so is there any hope?

Thanks.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Re: Decided to battle my hair loss again after 6 years.

I am curious about your dad's situation. You said he was fine until his mid 40's. What does that mean? A NW2,3, or 4? He is a NW7 now so you mean all his loss happened in 7 years starting in his mid 40's. Surely he has some loss before his 40's. Its rare for someone in their mid 40's to go from a NW2 to a Norwood 7 in just 7 years. I don't like when I hear stories like that because it just means you are never safe from going bald at any age. I always thought most NW7s show loss earlier than mid 40's.

jasybee

Reaction score

DoctorHouse said:
I am curious about your dad's situation. You said he was fine until his mid 40's. What does that mean? A NW2,3, or 4? He is a NW7 now so you mean all his loss happened in 7 years starting in his mid 40's. Surely he has some loss before his 40's. Its rare for someone in their mid 40's to go from a NW2 to a Norwood 7 in just 7 years. I don't like when I hear stories like that because it just means you are never safe from going bald at any age. I always thought most NW7s show loss earlier than mid 40's.

I would say he probably had some slight recession at the temples by around 40 but the rest of the hair was thick and spiky at that time. Early in his 40s he had some gradual thinning but was more noticable at the back of his head. He had a bald spot but the front of the hairline was intact. It didn't look that bad because he styled it differently. It basically took about 7-10 years to work it's way forward to the front from start to finish. I also remember him having a dandruff problem so this probably didn't help it either. Obviously he used no treatment on it and let it progress naturally.

Sorry if the details are not 100% accurate as I was a child and it was a long time ago, just trying to make a comparision. My hair loss pattern was different to his in that the hair at the front got it first, leaving me with a think head of hair at the back which was recently thinned out over the past 5-6 years. His started at the back and worked forwards. In fact he still has some strands at the front!

I have suffered more from diffuse thinning over the years.

I gave that background info because I was wondering if treatment would possibly help me in my case being a norwood 5 now? I have friends my age that are now NW7.

If noone can give any insight on this, perhaps I should just wait 3-6 months and suck it and see so to speak?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

I think in your case you need to use a proven anti androgen drug and Propecia is all you have. Minoxidil twice a day is definitely necessary too. If you are worried about the side effects more than keeping your hair then forget Propecia. If you are willing to take a risk then go for it. I am very anti drugs but my hair was more important so I took the risk and so far I have very little sides. I am in my mid 40's too. Been on Propecia for over 5 years now. I would say my hair loss has been somewhat stable. I come from a NW7 dad and my older brother is about a NW2 with a diffuse balding in the vertex and he never used anything. I am about a NW1.5 but I have some thinning at the hairline and down the middle more like Female pattern balding yet my hairline does not recede too much. When you said your dad went fast when he was about my age, it scared me so I wanted to know his details. It sounds like he was worse than I am and I use a strong amount hair treatments to keep what I have so I doubt I will be in his situation. If I went from my current situation to a Norwood 7 with treatments in seven years I would be devastated.

If you are afraid to use Propecia and still want to fight. Try Revivogen, it has helped me. The other expensive option is Proxiphen but I would try Revivogen first since its cheaper. However, when using these, you must still use minoxidil twice per day too. Good luck to you.

jasybee

Reaction score

Hi DoctorHouse!

Yeah sorry if I scared you there! lol it is true tho that you can start losing your hair at any age but this refers to untreated hair loss I believe so you should be fine. I know DHT levels can increase when you age and your hair can become more susceptible to it over time which is why people with little or no history of hair loss still lose hair when they are over 60.

I have been using the saw palmetto again but it's given me some testicle pain and a warm feeling in the postate so I would presume that finasteride would probably do the same! I think perhaps I should try the saw palmetto for a while and try to get used to it for a month or so and then consider the finasteride. I'm just hoping I dont get another prostate infection! Dont want that!

I have been using the minoxidil 5% for over 2.5 weeks now and see some colourless hair but nothing too noticable as yet. Will keep using it for 3 months and see if it improves the patchiness on top of my head. Hopefully I have a good chance of reversing it somewhat. I guess I will have to be patient on that front. I just need to find out where I can get some finasteride in the UK for a reasonable price now. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. :)