JayBear's story - (25 years old, diffuse)

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, i've posted here a little for a while now so i thought i'd start my own story/hairloss diary. I'm 25 years old and have been loosing my hair for god knows how long, although i imagine its been going on at least since i was 20. My hair loss is of the diffuse type. My hairline has remained perfectly intact (although recently my temples have started receding a little bit) but behind it, the entire top of my head is thinning rapidly. I have had no real phyiscal health issues so i'm sure my loss is purely male pattern baldness related. My senior year of college, i lost a bet and had to shave my head. it didn't look bad, but it seems as though it was the start of my hair loss problems. Maybe it was just the first opportunity i had to notice it, but it definatly seems as though i started loosing more rapidly following that episode. I do smoke, drink, and occasionally masturbate though so that may actually be the cause. :p

Family History: At the age of 60, my dad's hair is clearly thinning, although he kept his hair for most of my childhood. Both my grandfathers are/were bald and my uncle is slowly thinning on top. Aside from that, i am the oldest male in my extended family so we'll see what happens to the rest.

Extent of my hair loss: Sorry kids, no pictures yet, although i'll work on it. My hair is long, black, and curly so unless its wet, or i do something crazy with it, my hair loss is not too noticeable yet. My best friends know that my hair is thinning (and how much i stress about it) but most people do not, which is nice i guess. I'm sure i've lost well over 50% of my density on top of my head and maybe about 25% on the back and sides. It is worse closer to my hairline, but not by much.

Treatments: I have been on fincar, split into quarters, for about two months now and rogaine (5%) for about a month longer than that. I can't be sure if anything is working, but everytime i run my hands through my hair now, nothing comes out!!! This is a big step from before when simply agreeing with something someone said caused me to loose at least 6 or 7 hairs.

So, where am i at now? I still think about my hair loss every day. I don't like showering, bright sunlight, or getting my hair cut, because it throws into sharp relief how bad my hair CAN look. Some days i think it looks fine and i have this whole male pattern baldness thing licked. Some days i do nothing but stress out about it, think i already look bald, and consider shaving it all off. Meanwhile, i have a good job, good friends, a sexy boyfriend who for some reason keeps wanting to have sex with me (yes, i'm gay), and a condition whose negligeable effects on my physical health are drastically overshadowed by the crippling effect it has on my mental and emotional well-being. All in all, i'm doing ok.

Finally, i want to thank the members of this board. I think a lot of you are more than a little crazy, but just the fact that you are here and being honest and forthcoming about the problems you have that we all probably share, means a lot. Sorry to get all gushy at the end.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
best of luck with your treatments. it'll be interesting to see how your feeling in another year when the treatments should start showing some progression. happy new year.

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks, i'm pretty pleased about the fact that my hairloss seems to have slowed down. My hair is still too thin though, so i'm hoping for some regrowth soon.

G

You are really in a good position. Your hairline is intact which is usually the hardest one to regrow. Thickening of your existing hair should be no problem considering the treatments you are taking. Good Luck mate and a Happy New Year!

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, but i don't know. I've gotten such mixed reports from diffused thinners on this site that while my intuition tells me that it will be easier to recover from, i can't really be sure anymore.

Reaction score
I see a lot of similarity to your situation even though I am much older. My hairline is intact but top of my head suddenly started getting hit by male pattern baldness. Good luck and keep plugging.

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
Been almost 4 mos. on minoxidil and over 3 on finasteride. Happy to report that, although i am still loosing a few hairs a day, even my vigorous shampooing this morning (nizoral ;) ) only lost me about five hairs. i still need some regrowth but since finasteride seems to be working out pretty well so far, i'm feeling pretty optimistic. Any thoughts?

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
im here fighting the same fight, and i belive the hair loss has stopped, maibe i dont se it as easy because my hair is shorter now, but it seams to be geting its color back. and thickening a litle on top. im in my 2 month.
and i think we will recover :)
lets just take it 1 day at a time :D

wtfhair

Reaction score
you said u lost 25% density on back and sides... do u mean back and sides of your head? cuz my back seems thinner to me too i lose hair there alot ....i am also a diffuse thinner with an intact hairline for the most part......at the begginning i lost like crazy on top but ever since finasteride and spectral DNC that has REALLY slowed down to what ud call normal every day shedding but my back i still lose on sum days and it feels alot thinner maybe just my imagination wtf is going on!?

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
wtfhair said:
you said u lost 25% density on back and sides... do u mean back and sides of your head? cuz my back seems thinner to me too i lose hair there alot ....i am also a diffuse thinner with an intact hairline for the most part......at the begginning i lost like crazy on top but ever since finasteride and spectral DNC that has REALLY slowed down to what ud call normal every day shedding but my back i still lose on sum days and it feels alot thinner maybe just my imagination wtf is going on!?

Thats exactly whats happening to me. In fact, when i run my hands through my hair, the only area that looses hair is on the back of my head. It doesn't scare me as much as hair loss from the top obviously, but its wierd and unsettling and i don't care for it. I wish i could help but i have no idea wtf is going on eihter.

sore loser

Reaction score
wtfhair and jaybear,

I am in the exact same boat. Diffuse thinning on top, where most of my loss has been so far, but my back and sides are considerably thinner as well. Almost all the hairs I lose have a small white bulb at the end, which I believe (from what I have read here on this site) is a good thing - that this signifies the hair was growing. Why am I losing these apperently healthy hairs from the back and sides? It is a question that I'd love to find the answer to, and from reading around this site, we are not alone in this particular situation.

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been super dilgent with my meds (rogaine and fincar and occasionally nizoral) fand 6 months in, here's whats happening:

1. My hair is falling out again, at least as fast as it was before.

2.The hairs i'm shedding are little whispy nothings that i can barely see.

3. My hair is looking thinner than it ever has.

Bleh, hopefully this is a medicine induced shed and i'll bounce back, but its really hard riight now to see light at the end. I know people say its just a shed but i haven't heard from a lot of poeple who went through this shed and came out in better shape. Anyway...wish me luck.

p.s. there's no way i'm going to stop shampooing. Thats just gross and dumb.

barcafan

Reaction score
KEEP GOING.

Dont stop under any circumstances.

These meds CANNOT and WILLNOT make your hair worse.

WORST WORST WORST case scenario is that these meds had absolutely 0% effect on you and didnt do anything to help your hairloss.

The chance of that is practically 0 considering you're on the big 3.

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: JayBear's story

Since i last posted, i've given up rogaine. Honestly, the twice daily applications were too annoying and i hated getting stressed out if i missed a dose. I had also been taking it for over a year and hadn't noticed any significant regrowth. Just in case i did regrow, and not notice it, however, does anyone know how long it takes to loose whatever hair you regrew on minoxidil?

I also just hated the idea of having to continue with the treatment twice a day every day i wanted to keep my hair. I'm not resigned to going bald (still on finasteride), just going to have to be happy with maintenance. I'm still shedding hair a lot, but i've been on this website for a year now and still haven't progressed to the point where my baldness is very noticeable, so thats a good sign. Wish me luck with my upcoming rogaine shed!!!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I wont be too concerned about losing hair on the sides/back lol