Jeremy K's Story - (27/Gradual Thinning for over 6 years)

Jeremy K

Reaction score
Ok, to start off, I am currently a 27 year old male. I've been severely underweight my entire life with the inability to gain weight, and have never been tested for anything as my Doctor always assumed I'd put on weight by my early/mid 20's. That hasn't happened. I am 6 ft. tall and 126 pounds, having never weighed more than 130 in my life. I suffer from frequent indigestion, and have also been experiencing occasional heart palpitations for nearly 3 years now. They come and go in cycles it seems. I might experience them once or twice a day for a 3 week stretch, and then not again for several months. By heart palpitations, I'm referring to an erratic or skipped beat very briefly rather than rapid beating. I do experience a bit of anxiety and am often nervous/on edge.

I should also note that I have some bad habits -
- I've been eating healthy for several years now, but my meal times are unconventional, because of my sleeping routine
- I go to bed at around 5 am and wake up around 1:30 pm, sometimes later when I don't work. This is how I've been mostly for over 8 years!
- My exposure to sunlight is minimal, and during the winter months I hardly get any sunlight at all
- Other than manual labor at my job, I'm mostly inactive and don't exercise

My hair has been long ever since I was 15 years old, kept at varying lengths from shoulder length, to mid back length, and currently a few inches below the shoulders.

My hair had always been incredibly thick and voluminous, bordering on "massive" in volume.

When I was 18, I noticed that I had a bit of a widow's peak, but nothing too significant. The rest of my hair was un effected.

Around the time that I turned 21, my hair was nearly mid back length when I noticed that my ends were losing their luster. I got a few trims, but the ends would quickly deteriorate and over the course of the next year, I lost a bit of volume. At the time I had attributed it to damage, because I had started to use a hair dryer and even experimented with a straightening iron a few times, ironically enough to reduce my volume a bit, because my hair was already straight to begin with but was massive.

By the time 2006 rolled around, I was beginning to wonder why my volume hadn't been restored, and around the time that I turned 24, I noticed that my coverage was lessening. I wasn't necessarily going bald, but the density seemed more sparse, I was thinning diffusely. Even the hair on the sides and back of my head seemed to be thinning, though not quite as much as the hair on the top of my head.

I was afraid to go to the doctor, so in mid 2007 I started taking Procerin, which mainly is comprised of Saw Palmetto. I figured that it'd stabilize my hair loss, but I woke up one day in June '08, and couldn't believe what I saw in the mirror! My hair was flat against my scalp, although still with full coverage. I ran my fingers through my hair, and the entire texture seemed to have changed. it was very fine and brittle.

This is when I decided to start trying every home remedy under the sun, along with scalp massages to increase blood flow. My hair hasn't changed much since that time, but I can tell that it still seems to be thinning a bit.

A few things -
I've never lost any significant amount of hair at any given time. I seem to shed quite often, and am always pulling hairs off of myself(not from my head!). Most hairs that I find have a white bulb at the end.

The hair at the back and side of my head have thinned, and the texture has changed somewhat, though this hair is thicker than the hair on the top of my head, but not by a lot. It's at it's thickest at the back of my head, and thinnest at the temples, though the coverage is still pretty good with the exception of a slight widow's peak, and a very slight recession on the right side of my frontal hair line which hasn't progressed AT ALL in the past 18 months.

I'd estimate that I've lost 50-60 percent of my hair volume over the past 6 years, and my color has changed slightly. It used to be dark brown, but it's lightened a bit. I should also note that my eye brows used to be incredibly dark and bushy, and they've lost a bit of their luster and volume over the years. They've certainly thinned, but not to the extent that it's immediately noticeable because they don't necessarily look bad.

I've decided that I'll finally go to the Doctor. I'm not sure what to expect. Obviously some tests will be given seeing as I'm severely underweight with some other conditions, but I don't know if it's Diffuse Androgenic Alopecia, some form of Telogen Effluvium, or pehaps Telogen Effluvium that's progressed into Male Pattern Baldness.

I'm definitely going to insist on having my thyroid checked.

This is my hair back in 2003, at full volume though you can see the thinning i n the very ends of my hair. My hair line appeared full, but my hair line really wasn't much different than it is today. The long and thick hair covered the widow's peak. [attachment=0:2w29wgda]266025.jpg[/attachment:2w29wgda]

This is my hair as it is today, taken when my hair was still damp after taking a shower. My hairline has pretty much looked like this for over 3 years now.
[attachment=1:2w29wgda]b176e473-4b7e-4f53-bc2f-631f5771279a_small.jpeg[/attachment:2w29wgda]

Attachments

• b176e473-4b7e-4f53-bc2f-631f5771279a_small.jpeg
    b176e473-4b7e-4f53-bc2f-631f5771279a_small.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,133
  • 266025.jpg
    266025.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 193

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
welcome to HairLossTalk.com

do you have male pattern baldness in your immediate family?
ie bros, fathers, uncles, grand parents ect.

in your bottom pic it's hard to diagnose your issues

it does indeed look "thin"
but then again it is damp hair

i suggest you take some temple shots
and one of your crown (top back of head)

i suspect you may be diffusing but i cant really say