Jim's story - ( the Big Three 23/m PIcs)

BitterBuffalo

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been a reader for some time but have not posted until now. I admire the honesty and courage of most people’s posts and have taken a lot away from this site.

Well I would like to take some time to tell you my story and post some pics.

I first started noticing slight hair loss and receding temples the summer between my freshman and sophomore year of college (19 years old). I will spare you the details but trust me when I say I can relate too many of you when you tell of extreme anxiety, depression, and questioning “why me?â€￾ esp when it does not run in my family.

I have always considered myself a good-looking guy and have been very conscience of my image, perhaps too much so on occasion. I would not consider myself vain but I have always been active/fit, I have many friends and enjoy going out to college bars to meet ppl… etc. I suffer from diffuse thinning and receding temples, not to mention a BIG head that does not look good shaved :shock: The 1st semester of my Jr. year I had lost my GF and was loosing my hair, It was still mostly undetectable to anyone but me, but I felt like things were out of control. I have always been a problem solver and this is something I could not fix. It ate away at me to no end, I found myself stopping in the bathroom several times a day to look in the mirror at my thinning hair.. It became a huge distraction and I had the lowest GPA of my life that semester… in danger of being separated if I repeated the same performance the following semester.

In the following year a met a wonderful girl, pulled myself together and finished grinding through school, however the black cloud of hair loss was never far from my mind. I graduated college last winter with a Mechanical Engineering degree and started a great job. I am happy to be done with hours of studying and finally making good money while enjoying the young upwardly mobile lifestyle. I have a wonderful family and an amazingly beautiful and smart girlfriend. I just bought my dream car, am looking at a condo, and investing and saving money. I feel I am accomplishing my goals and am exactly where I though I would be the month I turn 23.

To the outsider it may seem like I have everything going for me. I am very thankful for everything I have, and I have worked hard to get here. However, loosing my hair is not something I expected could happen to me at such a young age. I went through a very desperate stage where I tried various snake oils including Procerinn (sorry to say.) I used Rogaine on and off for two years but just couldn’t get used to the oily slick it left on my head.

I even spoke to a Dr about getting a hair transplant. I was advised to try propecia (Nov 1 2006) and I opted to also use the new Rogaine foam. So that is where I am today, 5+ months into the BIG 3. Months 1.5-3 (around Christmas) I felt my hair looked thicker and was more manageable. I remember going to a big Christmas party back home and not worrying about my hair. I have since begun about 3 weeks of intense shedding and I feel my scalp is becoming more and more visible. Not looking forward to the lake and swimming season. I hope things will change for the better but I know that I am doing everything in my power. I feel that propecia has been better than any anti anxiety/depressant for me. It is going to the root of my problem. I take some comfort in knowing I am doing the only thing I can, and try not to worry about things I can not change. I don’t see any positive results as of yet and am beginning to worry. Any comments would be appreciated. I will post pics again at 9 and 12 months, hoping to see some results and decreased shedding.

I am posting Pics from July 2006 (3-4 months prior to propecia) I feel my baseline was worse than this though. I am also posting April 2 (5 months on propecia)

If someone can tell me a quick and easy way to post my pics i would appreciate it and get them up ASAP

BitterBuffalo

Reaction score
PICS Included

My Hair May not be the same length in all the pics.

Summer 2004. ( looking back i cant believe i was so self conscience at this point)

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7650/2004qg5.jpg

Aug 2006 Some Wet, Some Dry. This is about 3 months B4 i started the Big 3 and feel it is a little better than my actual Baseline, but it is all i have.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/7413/aug2006dh1.jpg

April 6, 5 months 6 days on the Big Three.... Going through a big shed and this is really the reason I came back on here. My intent was to go a year before I started looking for more answers and to let the propecia work. Any Advice would be appreciated.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9315/april207qe1.jpg

pologuy514

Established Member
Reaction score
Jim,
To me you dont look like a Norwood 3 more like a Norwood 2 in my opinion. I think your hair looks pretty good just thin in areas but overall the temples look decent. Keep up with your treatments.

-Pologuy

docj077

Reaction score
Your hairline and overall hair appearance look very similar to mine right now. Fortunately, you can do something about it by sticking with your current treatment.

I am way to poor to even afford herbal treatments anymore, so I'll be stopping those soon. Not a big deal though. I think I've moved on to the acceptance stage already, so life goes on.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
docj077 said:
Your hairline and overall hair appearance look very similar to mine right now. Fortunately, you can do something about it by sticking with your current treatment.

I am way to poor to even afford herbal treatments anymore, so I'll be stopping those soon. Not a big deal though. I think I've moved on to the acceptance stage already, so life goes on.

does that mean your leaving us?