Jkkezh's Story (minoxidil 5% + nizoral, 2.5 month update on page 2)

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
I just started minoxidil (kirkland 5% twice a day) a few weeks ago and will keep updating this page with progress pictures. I am also using a ketoconazole shampoo twice a week.

I'm balding (heavily) in the temple area, vertex is still strong. With minoxidil I hope to stabilize my situation and hopefully get some regrowth (especially in the mid-frontal area where I have been thinning a lot lately).

The only serious treatment that I have previously used has been finasteride for one year. I think it stabilized my loss somewhat but I did not want to continue messing with my hormones so I stopped a little over a year ago and have been going without any serious treatment (besides keto shampoo) till now.

In the future I might start using laser treatment. I am also still searching for a good topical anti-androgen.

august_2009_1.jpg

august_2009_2.jpg

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
Re: Jkkezh's Story (starting minoxidil with pics)

ok well IMO you need an anti-androgen
finasteride comes to my mind

minoxidil will probably fill in behind your forelock
but your temples are slick bald
so probably no hope for them

considering your age and knowing you have an good vertex
you could be an good candidate for an hair transplant on those temples

in summation minoxidil isn't as effective as finasteride
and you may be wasting your time just using it
even if your using nizoral "KETO"

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score

I'm now 25 and have been balding for around 5 years. Finasteride is not an option for me, I used it for a year and had some mild side-effects, without much results, so it's not worth it for me. A hair transplant is also not an option because in that case I will be depending on finasteride for the rest of my life to keep the rest of my hair.

I don't expect regrowth in the slick bald areas. If I can thicken my mid frontal area with minoxidil I will be very happy.

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score

Sorry if you'd tried this before, but since you've said that you'd had some mini-side effects on finasteride; have you tried lowering your dosage? Some people have decent response while minimizing their sides by doing this.

Otherwise, you might want to look into topical AA's; but I'm not experienced enough to suggest one.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score

I was on finasteride 0.83. And yes I've thought about lowering the dose even more, but really I just don't want to have to worry about possible side-effects (short term and long term)

Btw in the pictures my hair looks especially horrible because I combed it to maximally expose my temples (which look spooky white because of the flash :)). Normally I style it in such a way that a large part of my temples is covered. (and yeah I need a haircut :innocent: )

DSC01331.jpg

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Holy crap. You can pull off that haircut with THAT much recession? That's pretty damn amazing man.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Thickandthin said:
Holy crap. You can pull off that haircut with THAT much recession? That's pretty damn amazing man.

Haha that is amazing :woot:

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score

Yeah I'm glad most of my hair is still pretty dense otherwise I wouldn't be able to style it that way. A little bit of wind will instantly ruin my hair though, which is why I'm thinking about cutting it short.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score

Okay I'm starting to see some improvements so here is another update after about 2.5 months on minoxidil 5% (2 times a day). Existing hair seems to become more dense. Also I have thin new hairs popping up everywhere along the old hairline, I hope some of them will turn into healthy hair.

october_2009_1.jpg

october_2009_2.jpg

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

most def agree

the whole line has alot more miniature hair
thats awesome man

i hope you are able to get even more improvements over time

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score

Btw especially the right side might look a bit more dense than it really is because of the shadows.. The new hairs are still thin, so no real regrowth yet...

cuebald

Reaction score
Looking good, definitely one of the better results pictures I've seen of temple growth