Jl8490's Story - Crown thinning, Beware, don't stop!!!

jl8490

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a long time lurker on these boards but it's my first time posting to share my story. I am a 26 year-old Asian Chinese guy and have been losing hair since probably my early 20s.

Edited to add picture I randomly found of my crown from 8.5 years ago January 1, 2003

In terms of family history, just about every male member (father, uncles on both sides, both grandfathers) went bald or are visibly balding though it started fairly late in life for most of them. My grandfathers didn't start losing until their 50s or 60s and my father first got a bad spot on crown in his mid-40s which has expanded greatly since then. Interestingly enough, my dad's hairline never receded, just the crown thinning/bald spot and expansion.

It appears I'm following in my father's footsteps but about 20 years before him. I first noticed increased hair falling late in college and after graduation but everything looked ok in the mirror (from the front, hairline wise) and my girlfriend at the time didn't say anything.

I became concerned in late 2008 when hair was clogging the metal shower drain more and more. I took a picture of my head from above, freaked out and became severely depressed. I don't have that true baseline picture anymore as I deleted it in disgust. In January 2009 I started 5% liquid minoxidil as that's what I had heard about and once saw my dad's bottle in the bathroom at home many years ago. Didn't notice much improvement, if any.

January 28, 2010 I finally got a prescription for 5mg generic Finasteride which I quartered. I made sure to take a picture of the baseline this time and is below. I noticed the amount of shedding had decreased but not much in terms of regrowth within those first months.

I continued taking Finasteride with half-hearted minoxidil applications until October 2010 when I stumbled upon those PropeciaHelp forums. Although I hadn't experienced those side effect symptoms, I freaked out and quit finasteride/minoxidil cold turkey, resigned to becoming bald.

After 3-4 months in late January or early February 2011 I noticed hair in the drain again and a stylist commented on my "thinning hair" during a haircut. I restarted finasteride and 2x daily 5% minoxidil religiously and have continued to this day.

Pictures below from April 3, 2011 and tonight, June 8, 2011. The one tonight really makes me depressed as I think the ground I lost was due to the 3/4-month break in finasteride. The lesson is: Do your research and Don't quit your routine!

Do you think I will gain back some of what I've lost and get back to my Jan 2010 baseline? Should I augment this routine with anything else to help get actual regrowth?

I had hoped to be one of those miracle responders to treatments and have hair grow in nice and thick but I think the best I can hope for will be to be in the majority who just slow/stop loss for a few more years. I'm praying one of the companies will come through with a next-gen treatment before the slowing/stopping effect of the finasteride wears off.

January 28, 2010
01_28_11.jpg

January 28, 2010 - Close Up
01_28_11_2.jpg

April 3, 2011
04_03_11.png

June 8, 2011 (long night at the office)
06_08_11_2.jpg

June 8, 2011 (after a minoxidil application)
06_08_11.jpg

January 1, 2003 (8.5 years ago, Freshman year of college)
01_01_03.jpg

Reaction score
Hey!

I found your thread since it seems we have similar stories. I for one think your hair looks great; you're maintaining, and there is a HUGE difference between being an imperfect NW3 and being NW6-7 and totally bald. I don't think you should be depressed; your hair looks great to me so far, and if your girlfriend hasnt' made a comment and is still happy with you, then it can't be as big of a deal as you think it is.

Thanks for the post!