Job/Career

Thinneritgoes!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys. Would you mind sharing some info about your jobs/careers etc?

Im in a huge rut. I graduated college a couple years ago. I got in to my career and have been realizing lately that it is just not for me. I do not know what to do. It is freaking me out.

I am scared that about going back to school. and hairloss plays a big part in that. I feel too old to go back to school ( I am 24). Also, I don't know if I could make it through going to school again.

I am just really nervous and have been depressed about the whole situation lately. Can anyone share any experiences?

Thanks, guys.

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i started at 25 at local uni, after an year quit and starting again in less then a month at 26..... its never too late to go to school, the last thing you are to so is to let hair loss stop you in that area!!!
if you feel its the right thing to do and you know what you want to do with your life then just subscribe and follow your heart, dude is 40 and he has the balls to go back to school then so do you!

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
When I went through univ there were always a few people in their 40s in my classes...and I think they were always the ones with the highest marks. Never too late to go back..and since you're still young you should go for it.

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
Brick said:
I feel too old to go back to school ( I am 24).

You are 24 years old. I think you are going to be working for many more years. If you are not happy with the field that you are in, I think you should go back to school and study a subject that interests you more.

If you work in a field that you really do not like, I think that can lead you to develop an overall negative attitude towards life and not only will that affect your career and social life but it will probably make your hair loss worse.

Instead of trying to find a way to treat your hair loss, you will spend a lot of time thinking about how you don't deserve to lose your hair and about how life isn't fair, and those thoughts are not going to help you in any way. You will just continue to lose your hair.

ali777

Reaction score
I did masters in my early 20s. It sounds good, but the fact is I haven't done much for the last 10 years. I feel like I wasted my best years...

Oh well... I don't live in the past, I'm chasing new opportunities now.

I'm a bit like you. I'm an engineer, but I haven't done any hands-on work as a normal engineer would do.

Also, you don't mention where you are from, or what career path you want to follow.

I think uni/college isn't always the only solution. You might want to check out certificate courses, adult college, etc. Or study at home for certificate exams?

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
Going for your masters degree or entering into a PhD program in your 20s would not be considered old. In fact, I think it would be considered the norm. You would fit right in with your classmates.

As an undergraduate student in college, I remember the TAs for some of the classes that I took being in their late twenties and early thirties. They were working on completing their graduate degree.

ali777

Reaction score
karl_h said:
As an undergraduate student in college, I remember the TAs for some of the classes that I took being in their late twenties and early thirties. They were working on completing their graduate degree.

Been there, done it, got paid for the job, etc... I used to be a TA in my mid 20s :punk:

That's when I realised undergraduates are useless and unemployable. I wouldn't employ a new graduate. Even if I did, I wouldn't pay more than £15k in UK terms. The problem is, a graduate probably expects to get paid £20-25k from day one but they don't offer that 20-25k worth of productivity for at least a year. So the employer ends up paying 20-25k with the probation clause in the contract.

Boondock

Reaction score
Brick, I think you really need to tell us a bit more about the situation you're in. We'd need to really know a) what you're doing now, b) what you want to do instead (if you have a clear idea of that), and c) what you're thinking of going back to study, and how that might help you.

Right off the bat, there are a few options that you might consider:

1. Do you not like your career, or is it just the company you're with? This is a distinction that isn't made often enough. If you're in, say, consultancy, there is a world of difference between firms. Some are big, impersonal organizations; others are small, boutique, bohemian outfits. The differences are true for many professions.

2. Are you able to change career without retraining? You might be in engineering and want to do finance, for example. You can change between these fairly easily, and without going back to college.

3. Can you retrain without going back and doing a full college degree? Two options come to mind, here. First, you could do a straightforward Master's degree in an area related to where you want to go into. Second, you could do an MBA (if you have the money, of course). Both are fully acceptable for your age group. In fact I'd say you're about an average age for a Master's, and probably a bit younger than your average MBA.

Whatever you do, I think hair should be fairly low on your list of considerations. Chicks you meet in bars might not like you balding, but people in business, and the kind of academics you'll meet doing Master's courses, really couldn't give two flying fucks.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Finding a job is the bane of my existence at the moment. I left university last month with a Master's degree thinking I'd easily find work, but I can't even get an interview. I have made hundreds of online applications and I've either received rejection letters or no response.

I'm now being more proactive by using the telephone. Hopefully it will at least lead to an interview. I'm willing to work anywhere at the moment; I just want a job.

The one good thing is that I know my problems are not associated with hair loss. They don't even know what I look like.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Brick said:
I feel too old to go back to school ( I am 24).
You are never too old. I know loads of mature students. I even shared my halls of residence with a 27 year old fresher (first year student).

metropolis

Established Member
Reaction score
Brick said:
[...] I feel too old to go back to school ( I am 24). [...]

No offense, but this is just silly. :)

I went back to school when I was 27 and I had the time of my life. I was still young but a bit 'wiser' (or less stupid) so I enjoyed the best of both worlds.

If you feel this is the best for you, just go ahead and do it!

metropolis

Established Member
Reaction score
toocoolforhair said:
Finding a job is the bane of my existence at the moment. I left university last month with a Master's degree thinking I'd easily find work, but I can't even get an interview. I have made hundreds of online applications and I've either received rejection letters or no response.

I'm now being more proactive by using the telephone. Hopefully it will at least lead to an interview. I'm willing to work anywhere at the moment; I just want a job.

The one good thing is that I know my problems are not associated with hair loss. They don't even know what I look like.

When I was looking for a job, I didn't send any e-mails or letters, I went to the companies and delivered my CV personally. This saved me money and allowed me to get a first glimpse of the company and the work atmosphere. And it worked: in less than a week, I had my job!

ali777

Reaction score
metropolis said:
When I was looking for a job, I didn't send any e-mails or letters, I went to the companies and delivered my CV personally. This saved me money and allowed me to get a first glimpse of the company and the work atmosphere. And it worked: in less than a week, I had my job!

That doesn't necessarily work in the UK.

By law all the available positions must be advertised and all the applications go through the HR department. Even if you do go in person, the decision is still made by the HR based on what you written on a piece of paper.

rcom440

Reaction score
metropolis said:
Brick said:

I went back to school when I was 27 and I had the time of my life. I was still young but a bit 'wiser' (or less stupid) so I enjoyed the best of both worlds.

by 25 I had my master in physics but it's never too late to go to school, I would do it if I were you.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
rcom440 said:
metropolis said:
Brick said:

by 25 I had my master in physics but it's never too late to go to school, I would do it if I were you.

What do you work as now?

ali777

Reaction score
rcom440 said:
metropolis said:
Brick said:

I'll top it!!!

I submitted my MSc thesis a week before I turned 22. I could have had my phd at 25, but I never finished the fooking thesis :sobbing: ... After a few years of hanging around the campus, getting drunk, and working as a TA, I had enough and walked away from it :whistle:

The lesson I learnt was that 20+ is too young to take responsibilities and 30 isn't too old to learn new tricks. 24 is not too old to go back to school... 24 is good age, you are wiser and you know what you want from life.

Most of the mature students I know work part time as well. The school work is designed for drunk kids, so an organised student has more than enough time to work part-time.

I wish I was 24-25 when I started my phd, 22 was way to young to be at grad school....