Johnnyblaze's Story (20, Losing it since 14!)

johnnyblaze

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

My story begins all way back when I was 14. Back then I started to notice my hair line receding at my temples. I probably had my temples recede about an inch until I was 16. Then around that time I started to notice my hair thinning all over. Since then my hair has been thinning all over and is starting to get very hard to hide my hair loss. I don't seem to be forming a bald spot at the vertex of my head, but all the hair in front of that seems to be falling out.

14 seems to be awfully young, but I think I know the reason. After talking to my dermatologist, we came up with a theory that my hair loss was kicked started early due to testosterone shots. When I was 12-13 years old I received testosterone shots to jump start my puberty. So I had the shots for about a 1.5-2 years. Not long (couple months) after I got my final shot, my hair started falling out. My dermatologist believed the spike in testosterone, then the sudden stop in it, might have triggered my hair loss years before it should have started.

In June 2007 I started to do something about my hair loss. First I started with using rogain. I wasn't thrilled with using it but my dermatologist wanted me to go that route before using propecia. I used rogain for about three months and gave up on it. Couldn't stand using it and it just caused my hairline to thin at the vertex of my head. I probably didn't give it a fair shake. So in october of 2007 I ordered Finax from united pharmacies. I used it for the rest of the year until I was able to get propecia in january 2008. I used propecia for 7 months until august 2008. During that time I really didn't notice much difference until this summer. During the summer it looked like my hair line had thicken up. I was still losing hair but it didn't seem to be that bad. Also I was noticing that some of the hair falling out was shorter ( I have longer hair), so I was hopeful that it was new hair falling out. Due to the expense I switched from propecia to finpecia, again from united pharmacies. Over the past month my hair loss has been really bad. I would say that after toweling off my hair, there are 50 strands of hair there. I know it could be shedding, but I'm worried that it was caused by the switch from propecia to finpecia.

Thank you for reading and I'll try to keep it updated. If you have any advice I'm all ears!