Jonathan 89's story - (19 year old starting to thin)

Jonathan 89

Reaction score
ive started to realise that im losing hair after i graduated, during highschool i had lots of hair with full bangs (in grade 9 i had the thick bangs of an emo).

during grade 10 my scalp was red, itchy, and had a lot of pimples. I took some acne medication that was not called acutane (cant remember the name of the medication) but that helped my scalp problem but because i was realy depressed while taking it, i stopped and my acne on my scalp came back for the end of grade 11 and i had this problem for grade 12. During this time i would pick at my scalp constantly to pop the zits that bugged me so much, my scalp basicly felt like a huge scab!

right when grade 12 started, i started to work out (did NOT take any brakes at all and went at least 3-4 times a week) and later when a quarter of the school year was left i started taking protien shakes.

a few months after that i started to realise that i was losing hair. my bangs were not full anymore, they were verry thin at the front and barely any on the sides of my hairline, and after having a shower my scalp would be verry noticable when my hair was wet, which looked realy bad because you could see the redness of my scalp.

Asking my mom to check out my scalp she was alarmed what she saw, she told me the crown area of my scalp looked red like raw hamburger meat and the top/front area of my scalp looked red and irritated.

so we went to see a dermatologist hopeing that its the acne thats causing it and not genes (my father wasnt bald, my mothers father didnt go bald, my two older brothers have lots of hair, buy my mothers brother did go bald right after highschool). Realising that my scalp being red and irritated was something to be concerned about, she said that its not causing me to go bald...

she prescribed me doxycycline for my irritated scalp, and for my hairloss she prescribed me propecia and rogain 5%.

its been roughly 2-3 weeks and good news is my scalp isnt nearly as red as it was before, but so far i dont see any improvements of my hair.

my olderst brother suggested nioxin, a shampoo thats suppose to stimulate your scalp and hair follicles to help stop baldness and regrow a bit of hair, just bought a clenser bottle today so i cant say if its working or not. The main reason why i decided to get nioxin because although propecia does help regrow hair, but it mostly regrows hair on the crown and mid area of scalp, not at the front where im losing hair the most.

sorry for all of the text but i wanted to type a bit of my scalp history so you might be able to answer some of my questions:

Do you think having an infected scalp for a long time might have caused my hair loss? do you think if i keep on taking doxycycline and have a healthy scalp again my hair will grow back?

will propecia and rogainehelp my hairloss proble aswell not only in the mid part but my hairline aswell?

will nioxin help my hairloss problem with rogain and propecia?

was going to the gym and working out lost the reason im thinning? was it the protien shakes that you guys think triggered my hair loss?(my bangs did noticeable go thinner after a few months of taking protien shakes but im not certain if its the reason why im thinning)

and any1 has tried the lasercomb? because im thinking about buying one of those if rogaine and propecia doesnt work? (it should work because its FDA approved and theres vids everywhere praising about its success right?)

and yes ive notices theres grammar and spelling errors, but whenever i backspace or type between two words, whatever i type will go over whats behind it (i added an e on rogain and it deleated my space between rogain and help).

thanks in advance.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Re: 19 year old starting to thin... (had infected scalp)

Jonathan 89 said:
Do you think having an infected scalp for a long time might have caused my hair loss? do you think if i keep on taking doxycycline and have a healthy scalp again my hair will grow back?

will propecia and rogainehelp my hairloss proble aswell not only in the mid part but my hairline aswell?

was going to the gym and working out lost the reason im thinning? was it the protien shakes that you guys think triggered my hair loss?(my bangs did noticeable go thinner after a few months of taking protien shakes but im not certain if its the reason why im thinning)

and any1 has tried the lasercomb? because im thinking about buying one of those if rogaine and propecia doesnt work? (it should work because its FDA approved and theres vids everywhere praising about its success right?)

As far as improvements in your hair if you have just started treatment, they don't happen over night it takes months for it to happen (at earliest seen on here about three months). Rogaine helps with the hairline, it just hasn't been FDA approved for that area yet. The laser comb, you can be the judge of that one, personally I think it is nothing to the two treatments you are on. Propecia and Rogaine have a higher track record of working than the comb. Nioxin doesn't do much, it is just a cosmetic effect (at least for me as) because that is what I used and while my hair felt thicker it will not solve your help your hairloss in the long term.

As far going to the gym being the reason your hair started to thin then this guy should have thinning hair as well
jay_cutler.jpg

As far as the red scalp thing going on, I have always had an itchy scalp from dandruff and red too as well since puberty started but my hair didn't start to thin in till I was 18. It is imporant though if you have those problems to keep your scalp clean and wash your hair everyday. Make sure you wash it every second to third day with shampoos for that as it will keep your scalp clean. I don't really know much about doxycycline but if it helps your scalp by all means use it. It won't return your hair though to the way it is before it started thinning.

Jonathan 89

Reaction score

Obsidian said:
Jonathan 89 said:

Nioxin doesn't do much, it is just a cosmetic effect (at least for me as) because that is what I used and while my hair felt thicker it will not solve your help your hairloss in the long term.

is there any shampoos that will help my hair follicles to grow stronger, healthier hair?

and im not sure if nioxin lies about some things (ive heard some hair products are scams), but listed on their website, two of the main reasons why ppl start to lose their hair are:
1) having an infected scalp with acne and...
2) having liquid protien diets
which i had an infected scalp for a long time and i did take lots of protien shakes for awhile so thats why i was wondering if thats the reason why ive been losing hair.

but yea i guess only time will tell, i'll just stay on the medications im on now and stick with the nioxin if no1 else can suggest any better shampoos, and im gonna stay away from the protien shakes.

and just another question to anyone, has any1 started losing hair because of these two reasons and were able to regrow their hair after not taking protien shakes and/or clearing up their scalp from ance infections?

Smaja

Reaction score

Hi there,

I've had scalp acne on and off for about 4 years and it got me very conscious of my hair and possible hair loss due to follicle damage.

When I have a bad flare up a course of Doxycycline and Rifampin normally clears things up for a few months, my derm prescribed me two different anti-biotics to prevent resistance. In addition I use Betadine shampoo(anti-bacterial) and shampoo with a few drops of Tea Tree oil(unblocks follicles, anti-bacterial) in it. If only a specific area is affected I use some Salicylic Acid cream on the area and leave it on overnight which normally clears things up quite quickly. It is extremely important not to touch or pop any of the pimples as this spreads the infection and can cause scarring resulting in bald patches.

I was also told that shampoo with Benzoyl Peroxide, a standard medication in acne creams is effective in treating scalp acne, the problem is that it may bleach your hair and therefore is only really available as a shampoo for pets so go check out your local vet.

My hair always looks much better and hardly shed at all when I am clear. I think my follicles hold my hair up as they are healthy and it appears to have more volume.

Smaja

Reaction score

Jonathan 89 said:
and yes ive notices theres grammar and spelling errors, but whenever i backspace or type between two words, whatever i type will go over whats behind it (i added an e on rogain and it deleated my space between rogain and help.

Try pressing the "insert" button on you keyboard.

phillips

Reaction score

Hi, Im only one year older. Grew my hair out for the first time in about two years and discovered that my sides are really badly thinning, all over my scalp there is pretty bad thinning and I have really bad itching(havnt used rogaine in 2 months). My hairloss is not following any kind of Norwood pattern as there is no bald spot and no receeding. I went to the local doctor and all she suggested was a shampoo, im thinking the problem might be more serious. Is there any reason why one would shed and thin all over the scalp??