JoshB's Story - ( =2008 to 2011 comparison with PICS!)

JoshB

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to these forums. I thought a good way to get started was my journey so far.

I am 26 and I take 1mg of Finasteride every day (Cut from a whole 5mg pill). I have been taking Proscar since about October 2007 and switch to Finasteride early 2010 just because it was cheaper.

I originally started on meds for my rapidly thinning crown in October 2007. I am happy to say I now have no issue at all on my crown, I think it regrew the loss/thinning that I had and it's thick now and I haven't experienced any further loss while being on my meds. Whether it's as thick as it ever was I don't know but it's enough for me not to worry which is the main thing :)

I don't think I have experienced any sides at all my sex drive is high and as far as I am aware I haven't had any other sexual issues that I or anyone I've been with has noticed.

I was lucky that with the internet with it's information and so many helpful people on hairloss forums that I was able to get started at the early stages on thwarting it before any big loss had occurred.

I recently found an old photograph I took of my temple loss front on (from Feb 2008) and it made me want to make a comparison. The angles are slightly different so I guess it isn't exact but hopefully it's enough to look at. I was hoping you guys who were far more knowledgeable could chime in and let me know what you thought of this comparison and what I can expect and any recommendations to help my temple.

I have attached the 2008/2011 photograph, one with my squiggles on it one without.

The blue arrow points to a small scar on my right temple, I think using that is good marker for my loss, the line going across also compares roughly my hairline across my forehead

The green circle on the right - my left temple - seems to show a lot of uneven hairloss on that side compared to 2008

Ignore the red line, that was where I thought my hairline should be back in 2008 when I was a panicked! I've been told that's a crazy hairline.

The purple W shows the same sort of weird pattern to the front of my hair.

I'd very much appreciate any guidance!

(I have just wondered looking at these comparison photos; are those short hairs across my hair line back in 2008 possibly Proscar regrowing hair? I know it isn't meant to help the front/temples but I can't understand why I'd have those short hairs. I started taking Proscar (1mg) in October 2007 and the photo is February 2008... is that a possibility? I don't have any short hairs like that in the recent photo (APR 2011)... I had hair that was a good few inches long for years now, so I'd never have some hairs very short like those and the rest much longer.)

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 255

mothernature

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Hello! 2008 to 2011 comparison

hey buddy so the proscar/finasteride didn't stop your temple recession but did stop the crown from getting worse?

JoshB

Reaction score
Re: Hello! 2008 to 2011 comparison

mothernature said:
hey buddy so the proscar/finasteride didn't stop your temple recession but did stop the crown from getting worse?

On my crown: it stopped further loss and thickened/regrew what I had lost. I was early stages of losing though. After a few months of Proscar all was well again, I can have a rummage in my hair and I really can't see any signs around my crown of any loss.

Regarding my temples; this is what I'm trying to find out, when I look in the mirror absolutely front on (unlike my APR 2011 photograph which is slightly off) it doesn't look all that different at all to FEB 2008 (apart from my right temple that does look a little further back). So I am wondering if it has also helped my temples. Surely in 3 years (since that photo) if I was already receding at my temples, there would be more loss than there has been. It would be a rather big coincidence for my temple loss to slowed up at the same time as I started on Proscar.