Just met hairloss 4 weeks ago at 20 y.o

Miles2133

Reaction score
Hey i wanted to join the forum to tell my story and get some advice, thanks for listening!

I'm a student in the health and fitness industry and also follow as healthy lifestyle as i can.

It's summer break right now in-between college years and i work doing landscaping. I noticed that everyone (nearly) at my landscaping job has some form of male pattern baldness. This started to make me paranoid so i wore a hat constantly. I had never noticed any hair loss until a couple weeks into the job. I'm 20 years old and this devastated me. I admit i had 2 weeks which were the worst weeks of my life. I was very suicidal and had to take some days off work for a mental health break.

Come to think of it now i'm coming out of the depression and i realize how ridiculous it was that something as minuscule as hair loss had me feeling as if i was ready to kick the can. For the 2 weeks that i first noticed some hair loss around my crown i was thinking about how no girl would like me and how i would eventually marry an ugly wife who is all i can get and then have kids who dont like themselves because they inherited my genes and would someday want to kill themselves as i currently did. I came to the 2 week conclusion that i should simply just not even pro-create. Hence, when the suicidal tendencies were at their strongest.

I've recently came out of it now, thank god! I came out of my depression by talking about it to people who mean something to me instead of hiding it. I told the girl i am talking to about it, as much as when i was hiding it i was afraid that she wouldnt like me soon or notice it all the time and be not attracted to me soon.
She was really cool about it and i had her completely freaked out about what i had to talk "to her about" as the text message had implied. haha
She made me feel really good and explained how that's not why she like me.
If there are any of you out there who are feeling how i was, take some advice from me.
As much as you want to believe that the following is not true and that hair loss is the end of the world...
1. It really is all about personality and who you are on the inside.
2. Hair loss is not the end of the world. At the end of the day, it really is just hair.
3. Talk to someone about who you trust, if your loved ones are worth your time, they really won't care.
4. There are much worse things that can happen to you like being born with a disease or being paralyzed.
5. People live in third world countries where their children die from having no clean water and we want to kill ourselves over not having perfect hair? Dont be so selfish.

ANYWAYS, that was a little history about me. This is my question for the future.

As someone who is trying to pursue a healthy lifestyle, i'm not a fan of western medicine and pills. I have researched propecia and it's officially off my list with the studies which show links to sexual dysfunction.
However i was considering rogaine (topical), although my dilemma is that i'm not even sure if i really am losing hair or if i am simply being a hypochondriac and driving myself insane. Like i said i work 12 hours a day in the sun where the sun dries my hair out constantly and then i come home and use a cheap SLS infected shampoo and then blowdry my hair. It is probably just dry and breaking. Although it is in the crown area. Yesturday i used only conditioner and WOW, what a difference, hopefully the problem is that my hair was just dry.

My problem is that i would like to use rogaine to prevent any possible DHT from making me lose hair but i'm not sure if i truly am even losing hair, my hair is thin in the crown and i see it on my hands when i shower but it could have always been like that. I don't want to start using rogaine and create a problem that wasnt there in the first place with the long term effects of applying a chemical to my scalp forever.
Although, at the same time i want to get on the problem as soon as possible if one does exist and prevent it from getting any further.

Thanks for reading my novel haha
Really do appreciate your time guys :)

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
So in only 4 weeks, you discovered your hair is starting to fall out, got depressed to the point you were very suicidal, talked to a girl and now you've accepted it is what it is and it's no big deal? And you're not even sure if you have male pattern baldness in the first place. What Norwood scale are you? Not trying to be a dick, I know you mean well, but if hair loss hit you that hard the first time, I'd say that's far from over. The whole "could be much worse" thing doesn't last long in my experience.

Miles2133

Reaction score
So in only 4 weeks, you discovered your hair is starting to fall out, got depressed to the point you were very suicidal, talked to a girl and now you've accepted it is what it is and it's no big deal? And you're not even sure if you have male pattern baldness in the first place. What Norwood scale are you? Not trying to be a dick, I know you mean well, but if hair loss hit you that hard the first time, I'd say that's far from over. The whole "could be much worse" thing doesn't last long in my experience.

I'm not sure what a norwood scale is? i imagine its the amount of visible male pattern baldness?

why is it far from over from how hard it hit me emotionally?

My main question is about whether or not to take rogaine, but thanks for posting.

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what a norwood scale is? i imagine its the amount of visible male pattern baldness?

why is it far from over from how hard it hit me emotionally?

My main question is about whether or not to take rogaine, but thanks for posting.

Yeah, it's basically a measurement scale of balding. Are your temples receded and how much?

What I meant was, if it did you hit that hard emotionally, it is very likely to come back, especially if your hair loss continues to get worse.

As for minoxidil, if your hair isn't bad then I would advise against it if you don't want to take finasteride. It's a PITA to use and doesn't actually stop the balding process. Perhaps it would be best if you could post pics of your hair under harsh light. That way you'll get more feedback and advice.

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
5. People live in third world countries where their children die from having no clean water and we want to kill ourselves over not having perfect hair? Dont be so selfish.

It's also selfish to trivialize the struggle of those who suffer depression from their hair loss. Body dysmorphia is just as real as starvation.There is really no connection to the two problems. Dont see the point in guilt tripping guys over their neurosis.

And chances are it is not your shampoo and is actually balding. Millions upon millions of people use SLS and other harsh surfacant based shampoos and it doesnt impact their hair quality negatively. Chances are the shampoo isnt hurting your hair either.

I wouldnt bother with rogaine without addressing androgens, but some claim that rogaine alone applied correctly and consistently has allowed them to maintain for years.

Good luck with whatever course of action you decide to take.

Miles2133

Reaction score
dsf

Hey guys thanks for all the posts, appreciate it. I've been very busy with my 3rd semester schedule where im taking 9 classes FML.
However here is a picture of a couple months ago, from all the stress and everything going on, i feel as if it's gotten worse. I'll post an update soon.

IMG_1320.jpg

It's not much in this picture but its not the greatest of pictures of it and as i said, i believe that it's gotten worse. Also, i find it particularly bad because im 20 years old.

SUPPLEMENTS

MINOXIDIL
I have started using minoxidil, i was prescribed rogaine but trying to get my insurance to pay for it was so much of a hassle with my busy schedule i found it easier to just pay 36$ to buy 6 months supply on ebay of kirkland minoxidil.
I happen to be studying in the health area so i have access to dieticians and recently my nutrition teacher told me to try supplementing with zinc and selenium which im yet to do, although she also had some other good advice which was to go and ask a pharmacist about which is better, kirkland minoxidil. or rogaine
and also to ask about the ingredients in the hair styling paste i use and which ones might be better.

NIZORAL
Ive been using nizoral for several months now and i'm not sure if its working because sometimes in the shower i have hands just covered in hair but all of a sudden, like within the last week it's significantly decreased... Probably just in my mind.

GREEN BEAVER ORGANIC SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER
Bought this off well.ca which was greatly priced and ive heard many good things about the 100% organic shampoo. Recently i have no complaints or good things to say about it. However, it does seem kind of harsh.

THINGS IM YET TO TRY

In my hours of researching i found about revivogen hair shampoo which ive read good things about.
ALSO
Lipogaine which contains 5% minoxidil. and also azleic acid which is supposedly clinically proven to reverse hairloss as is ketoconazole.

RECENT PROBLE
Hopefully you guys will have some advice for me on this one, recently ive had the worst dandruff imaginable, my scalp is literally flaking in large pieces like one big scab. It's really weird. Perhaps its because i only ever use shampoo and i shampoo every day and nizoral twice a week?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, anything you respond with will be intently researched and considered.

Best of luck everyone,

Best regards,

Miles2133

Miles2133

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Just an update. I've been using Kirkland Minoxidil 5% for 5 months now pretty consistently and Nizoral (no SLS) 2% every other day just about.

I've noticed actually have new hairline growth . I've been applying it to my hairline and am actually noticing new hairs growing. I can tell they are new because my hair is about 2.5 inches right now and around my hairline some are transparent and some are new and 1 inch long and dark, real hairs. My hairloss story was never really significant before all of this began but my crown has filled in.

One issue im having is the glycerol causing bad dandruf and scalp flaking/ itch. I can deal with it but i'd like to find a brand without the glycerol. I'm currently buying my kirkland minoxidil on ebay averaging about 6$ a month in case this helps anyone.

I'm kinda worrying about the toxic effects of applying this to my scalp everyday for the rest of my life. Still too afraid to research the long term effects.

Just posting to let you guys know out there, i would recommend trying to apply it to your hairline, it Has worked for me on the hairline being applied only once a day (night)

Cheers!.

Miles2133

Reaction score
I had excessive flaking from the minoxidil and severe irritation even after my success with it, i was actually losing hair due to the inflammation. IMG_2489.jpg
This was around the 5 month mark...

Ive been off it for about a month now and my scalp is super itchy still. I've lost most of the hairline gains from the minoxidil...
I'm wondering why my scalp is still so itchy, is it the DHT itch?
Also, i was using kirkland minoxidil 5%, im wondering if i should try the kirkland foam or lipogaine because im losing hope, kinda wanting to shave my head if it gets worse...

Any help is appreciated!