Just want to make sure I have male pattern baldness..

kamui

Established Member
Reaction score
I am chinese..born in America. Since age 18 I have noticed I was thinning slowly. Now I am very slowly diffusing on my crown and hairline. Ever since I began thinning, my hair has become very fuzzy, some of it looks like pubic hair. I use to have very strong straight hair like most Chinese men. Now it's just fuzzy and curly at the ends, looks like pubic hair..Is this a side effect of male pattern baldness? I have seen a Derm before and he took a quick look and said I have male pattern baldness.

thanks!

G

You already know then if you have male pattern baldness. Someone has examined your hair.

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
You have what is called "kinked hair," which often accompanies dht inititiated hair loss, aka. male pattern baldness. I've heard that some people have gotten results from using Nizoral shampoo, which leads me to believe the kinked hair could be caused from a fungus similar to the nail fungus that causes nails to yellow and become disfigured-a condition that can be cured by the antifungal Lamasil.

My theory is the fungus invades the hair follicle and begins to slowy damage them, meanwhile initiating an immune and inflammatory response which further attacks and disfigures the follicle and hair shaft. This may be the reason Nizoral works so well for male pattern baldness.

From keratin.com

Kinked hair

Kinked hair is similar to woolly hair but is less tightly coiled and often only affects hair in some parts of the scalp but not other areas. Kinked hair is much like pubic hair in its appearance - being irregular and wiry.

Occasional kinked hairs can be found in most people with healthy hair and arise as a result of physical damage to the hair fiber from over processing. A rare male disorder involves progressive kinking of the hair in young adults particularly in the top front scalp hair. This often precedes development of androgenetic alopecia in these individuals. Kinked hair may also develop when using some drugs particularly those that affect cell division.

http://www.keratin.com/ag/ag005.shtml

kamui

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes but he took a quick look plus I didn't tell him about the kinky/pubic hair on my head. :(

So JesusFreak, where did I get this fungus from? Is it just from male pattern baldness? Excuse me for my dumb questions. :hairy:

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are losing hair, then it is most likely male pattern baldness. You can always go to a doctor and get blood tests done to rule out other causes, such as a thyroid disorder or nutritional deficiencies.

kamui

Established Member
Reaction score
hair mchair said:
If you are losing hair, then it is most likely male pattern baldness. You can always go to a doctor and get blood tests done to rule out other causes, such as a thyroid disorder or nutritional deficiencies.

Had plenty of test for my thyroids, so it's not that. Gona see a top Derm in Philadelphia..I pulled out about 5 very pubic like hairs from my head to take with me. LOL

kamui

Established Member
Reaction score
hair mchair said:

damn double post.. :x

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
I live in Philly. What is the name of the derm you are going to?

kamui

Established Member
Reaction score
For real?? that's cool, I'm going to see Dr George Cotsarelis.

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
kamui said:
For real?? that's cool, I'm going to see Dr George Cotsarelis.

Maybe I'll check this guy out. I wonder if he takes Aetna.

kamui

Established Member
Reaction score
AHh you must book one year in advance to see him..I have a list of other good derms in Philly.. Look up Paul Gross and Ellen Kim, both work for UPENN.

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
kamui said:
AHh you must book one year in advance to see him..I have a list of other good derms in Philly.. Look up Paul Gross and Ellen Kim, both work for UPENN.

One year?!? You're serious???

He had better blow me when I get into his office, because there's no other way I would wait one year for a facking doctor.

I'll look into those two derms you mentioned. Any other names you want to recommend?

kamui

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm just one more, Joel M. Gelfand of UPENN. I trust UPENN a lot, they have some of the best doctors, better than Jefferson University.