Kai356's Story - (17/ Balding?)

kai356

Reaction score
im convinced that im actually starting to bald at 17, my dad experienced balding at his 30's but he also suffered thyroid, but my grandpa on my dad's side still had his hair in his 60-70ish.

my mom's dad well were not sure since he died early but he had a full head of hair in his 30's

well regardless i know im balding, is their anything i can do about it? my hair is naturally fine and thin, and i was always made fun of for having a big forehead when i was like 10ish or im just going bald pretty fast. =P

the upper half of the picture is with flash

bottom half is without.

Attachments

• BALD!.jpg
    BALD!.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 724

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
Re: balding at 17?

i wouldn't say your balding

you have nothing worse than a mature hairline, if even that

dont freak out i think ur fine mate

kai356

Reaction score
well if i was balding, can u recommend me anything i can do as a 17 year old?

i dont smoke nor drink

i have doubt's no offence better be safe than sorry

Petchsky

Reaction score
I would hold off on doing anything yet, as it's unclear from the photos if you have male pattern baldness.

In the meantime get hold of Nizoral shampoo and use 2/3 times a week, leaving it on the scalp for a few minutes, maybe use conditioner afterwards, as it can be dry the hair for some. This shampoo has a mild anti androgen effect, and maybe use tricomin...

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out early signs of a mature hairline....Just keep an eye on for things like shedding and hairline recession.If it stays this way for the next few years,I think you will be fine.

kai356

Reaction score
heres an update on my hairline. should i be worried?

Attachments

• AYoAuVtR.jpg
    AYoAuVtR.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 208
  • AYxAGTDe.jpg
    AYxAGTDe.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 205

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
Petchsky said:
I would hold off on doing anything yet, as it's unclear from the photos if you have male pattern baldness.

In the meantime get hold of Nizoral shampoo and use 2/3 times a week, leaving it on the scalp for a few minutes, maybe use conditioner afterwards, as it can be dry the hair for some.
i agree. to be honest, i wouldn't be surprised if you have started to get male pattern baldness. i'm only 19 myself and wish i'd spotted things as early as you. my advice is to keep these baseline photos that you have now and check back periodically every 3-4 months, taking a couple photos every time. in a year and a half, the absolute worst that will have happened is that you've developed a mild NW2 and can hop onto finasteride at 18. i'd say hold off for another year or so ideally. it could be male pattern baldness but if it is it's not even recognizeable as such and so i'd check back over time to see if it keeps progressing at this rate. if it does then hop on finasteride for sure but if not then you've lost a CM from the temples and you're fine.

hope i made my point clear. i only really come on these forums when i'm a lil tipsy these days so i might not be that coherent but if you have any concerns or questions then shoot me a message or reply here and i'll do my best :)

Megadeth

Established Member
Reaction score
I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you have male pattern baldness. Your crown area looks thinner than mine. You may just have thin hair, though. Has it always looked like this? I went to school with a couple of Asian guys with hair exactly the same as yours, and 10 years later, they both look the same, so you might be fine.

As for the hairline, it may just be a mature hairline. Keep an eye on it.

At 17, you're too young for minoxidil and finasteride, I believe. You could use Nizoral 2% two to three times a week, though. Just leave it on for 5 minutes and then wash it out. It stops some of the androgens in your scalp from attacking the hair follicles.

kai356

Reaction score
yeah my hair was always fine and thin like this. looking back at my baby photos, i also had a noticeable big head too. also, my dad was a complete norwood 3 at 26 now he barely has hair. he did got a hair transplant, but it looks very terrible on him.

kai356

Reaction score
hm can thyroid problems affect how much hair i lose? my dad also has thyroid problems, so most likely i'll also have thyroid problems due to genetics.

anbu356

Reaction score
Welp it's been three years and here's an update of my hairline I'm 20 now. Unfortunately, one of my friends picked up that my forehead is really big / hairline is receding so mostly i think I'm gonna shave my this weekend if not a #1 buzz or something

Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 11.17.54 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-04-21 at 11.25.37 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-04-21 at 11.33.16 PM.jpg

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score