KillaCam's Interesting Story (20, no treatments yet).

KillaCam

Reaction score
Just joined this forum after lurking for a few months, read a lot of stories so I hope a lot of people read mine. I'll have pictures up by tomorrow.

Firstly, I started noticing hair falling out at around 18 when showering, not much, I would say around 20 hairs when rubbing my head.

Didn't take too much notice to it, more time and more time passed I noticed more hairs fall out pretty much anywhere (sitting on a desk, hair on my notes, etc.) I had asked family members a million times whether it looked like I was thinning, they constantly told me NO! (to the point it was irritating to them haha)

I tricked myself into believing everything was A-Okay but I had a tingling feeling that I was balding, my brother is 27 and pretty much bald, dad is 57 and all bald except that horseshoe thingy but didn't start balding until late 30's. Mom's side everybody has a full head of hair.

3 years later, now looking back at old pictures, I realized my hair has changed somewhat (higher hairline with thinning temples, some diffusing all over top, hair feels generally lighter and less full. I am 100% certain of hair miniaturization, no change of side and back hair). Nothing too noticeable even at this point, you wouldn't think I was balding at first sight but definitely balding when under a strong light or wet hair.

Anyways, after dreading and reading, I made the decision to visit a doctor to discuss this matter. She advised I do bloodwork which I did. It wasn't bloodwork regarding hormone levels or anything (I thought it would be at the time), instead it was a Hematology test.

Turns out I was diagnosed with Iron-Deficiency Anemia because my Hemoglobin score was 129 when normal range should be 135-160. Keep in mind, I'm 20 (turning 21 in 6 days) and I was told I had low levels for my age.

She recommended I stay on a Multivitamin and Mineral for 2 months (been on for a week now) and we will do more bloodwork after, and that the reason I have been losing hair was because of my Iron Deficiency.

I'll paraphrase what was said, "If something is wrong with your blood, it affects a lot of things in your body"

Sounds plausible, as one of the many symptoms of Iron-Deficiency Anemia is hairloss.

My question(s) to you readers, is this:

- Is my hairloss a direct result of low Iron levels?
- If it is, shouldn't my hairloss be all over my head instead of classic male pattern baldness fashion?
- Is it just accelerating my male pattern baldness hairloss?
- Would correcting my low Iron levels result in less shed/maintainance/regrowth of hair at all?

Sorry for the long schpeel, I hope to get some answers before I start any true medications. Thanks!

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would guess either as you say the iron deficiency has just sped up your inevitable male pattern baldness or it is a red herring and it's just male pattern baldness.

Either way if your dad and bro are bald you're going to have to prepare yourself for the real loss at some stage and decide if you want to try and treat it before it gets worse. It may be you're very lucky in catching it this early and can totally reverse it.

Parents can be pretty unhelpful. My mum still denies I'm losing my hair despite it being patently obvious, and several other insensitive douches having pointed it out to me.