Killing_nemo's story

killing_nemo

Reaction score
I'm new and not exactly sure where to start, so here goes.

Student approaching 21, currently a norwood 2. I never had a straight across norwood 1 and always had a shallow v shaped hairline, this receeded abit to something near a norwood 2 about 17, wasn't overly bothered as i observed many people have this and following family history thought it wouldn't get any worse till much later on.

Since then it hasn't progressed majorly fast, noticed at Christmas it had thinned out at the hairline for about a cm back on the right temple and the left temple is just starting to do the same. The rest of my hair also doesn't feel the same as it used to, i'm not sure what it is, everywhere else seems to be fine, it just doesn't feel right. No real shedding to report, lose maybe 10-20 really small weak blonde hairs a day.

There is a family history of male pattern baldness but nothing severe, dad and uncle that side receded to Norwood 2 or 2.5 in mid 20's and stayed there till mid 40's currently. Granda on that side was similar and then went to Norwood 3v in early 50's and is still there at 79. Mum's side of family, 2 uncles one a Norwood 1.5 and other a 2.5 in mid 40's and granda on that side was fine till his 60's.

Ordered finasteride and spectral dnc a few weeks ago, expecting them soon. Will upload pictures later to track progress, just hoping to thicken up a little and maintain, hopefully this is achievable.

killing_nemo

Reaction score
I finally have pictures (dry with flash), not the best quality but gives a good general indication.

Crown:

PIC_0064.jpg

Left temple:

PIC_0061.jpg

Right Temple:

PIC_0058.jpg

This was one of the few shots i could get that shows just how bad the right temple has become. It's thinned pretty badly for about 2cm where the hairline should be.

Since i've started paying more attention i've also noticed alot more shedding, still round about the normal amount of what people are supposed to shed, but i've noticed they are nearly all incredibly thin minaturised blonde hairs.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi, your hair's in great shape. You are receding a little, but it's not too bad. If that was me, I'd just use finasteride only but I guess you really want that hairline back :)

good luck with your regimen, keep us updated.

oh, you might want to use some nizoral on your temples once in a while.

killing_nemo

Reaction score
flimflam said:
hi, your hair's in great shape. You are receding a little, but it's not too bad. If that was me, I'd just use finasteride only but I guess you really want that hairline back :)

good luck with your regimen, keep us updated.

oh, you might want to use some nizoral on your temples once in a while.
Cheers, yeah i plan to stick to finasteride at first anyway. The spectral was more a panic buy but i suppose it could be handy if everything goes to sh*t. There's still quite alot of thinner and velus hairs in that bit on the right temple so hopefully i can achieve my aim of thickening it up and keeping my hairline where it is with just the finasteride and nizoral.

Good luck to you too.

killing_nemo

Reaction score
Started 1.25mg of finasteride today (28/3/07). However those panic buy cannisters of dnc are sitting there and i'm tempted to start it on that difused right temple. It's disfused to just behind the nw2 hairline, however there are tiny velus hairs till about a Norwood 1.5 hairline also.

Any advice on whether to leave it to just finasteride and nizoral for now or spectral as well?

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Assuming the finasteride does its job, your hair isnt going to get any worse. If anything, it'll get better. There is a possibility finasteride alone will regrow for you on your temples, but the general consensus is that it works better on the crown (although I'm starting to see regrowth on my hairline after 3 months of finasteride).

So the question is, are you comfortable enough with your hair - as it is now - to ride it out til, say, the end of the year to see if finasteride will regrow your temples?

By the way, I'd say you were an NW1 not 2.

killing_nemo

Reaction score
flimflam said:
Assuming the finasteride does its job, your hair isnt going to get any worse. If anything, it'll get better. There is a possibility finasteride alone will regrow for you on your temples, but the general consensus is that it works better on the crown (although I'm starting to see regrowth on my hairline after 3 months of finasteride).

So the question is, are you comfortable enough with your hair - as it is now - to ride it out til, say, the end of the year to see if finasteride will regrow your temples?

By the way, I'd say you were an NW1 not 2.
I suppose i will give it the year at least to see what finasteride will do. I am comfortable with my hair just now as i grew it out longer at the end of last year for first time since i was about 13 and realised how much better it suits me than the short crew cuts i used to get.

Generally it shouldn't really bother me that much since my hair receded to its current position at 17 and though 21 soon the only thing thats changed is the right side thinning out abit more. I think it's just cause i wear my hair forward i kind of forgot how bad it was and paniced abit when i paid more attention. Since i seem to have almost the exact same hair as my granda and uncle i'm pretty sure i wont ever go past a Norwood 3/4 and will just slowly recede over the next 10 years, but i want to maintain what i have till my mid 20's hopefully at least.

Congrats on the regrowth though btw, from reading your story your life seems to be really going well at the moment too.

BitterBuffalo

Reaction score
I think you have a good plan. I wish I would have gone straight to the proven meds earlier to help maintain, although cost can be a hard thing in college. I continue to look back and it seems things were never as bad as i thought they appeared.