Kube's Story

Kube8

Established Member
Reaction score
So I posted more than a year ago a couple times in a frantic rage because I noticed that my hair was thinning.

I'm 33 and have always known that male pattern baldness was in my family.... mom's side... grandfather "bald at 18." which I heard my whole life (torture anyone?) I was about 21 and noticed I was losing a bit of hair. Honestly, at this point, I wish I could go back in time and give myself a swift punch in the face because it was really just a light shedding..... compared to where I am now or where I'll potentially go with this I should have been dancing with joy.

At that time.... hmm..... about '97 I think... Propecia and Rogaine had just recently come to the market. I started it immediately figuring that it was supposed to keep what I have and potentially rectify whatever (barely anything) damage had already been done. There were no super long term studies at that point regarding Propecia and if I remember correctly, the general consensus was that it should last for many years at least but no one would promise a lifetime.... but the 10 year number sticks out in my mind. I still remember thinking, well it just has to last 10 years and by then something new HAS to be out.... HA.

About a year ago (using Propecia/Rogaine for 11 years or so) my hair did start to thin. This is really the point when I realized that this could become a problem. <I know whining about this at 33 when I still have a "full head of hair" might be annoying to those of your who have progressed more or started younger but it still stings> It seemed slow down and started to hold pretty ok, tho noticeable thinning in the crown & temples etc.

Well it's swiftly moving along now and I really don't know what to do. I'm at the point where my hair is becoming more and more unmanageable. The hairs themselves are becoming thinner and thinner. It's receding in the front, by the temples and a bit in the back and it's getting more and more difficult to hide. Sometimes I look at my hair and think it's "fine" and other times I think - ouch! I can feel it thinning.... I can feel cold air on my head and the most telling..... when i put the rogaine on, it doesn't stay put on my scalp the way it used to and drips on down because there's less hair to make it stay put.

So I'm at a loss..... I'm wary about trying some of these non FDA approved hair loss treatments with mixed reviews at best that I've read about. Not that I'm at this point yet, but I don't want to consider a hair transplant because they never seem to come out all that good and how do you know when to actually start? I don't want to start at the earlier stages and then not have enough hair left to fill it all in when it continues. I would prefer to not end up looking like Chuck Schumer lol.

HM is clearly the future of hair loss treatments, but it remains.... after years and years of a "promising outlook" as a FUTURE treatment.

So what can I do? I'm not trying dutasteride after reading horror stories. Are there any really safe ways of combating male pattern baldness other than propecia and rogaine? I don't want to sit there and argue why I have 2 more hairs than I did the day before.... I want my full head of hair damn it! LOL

This is just so depressing. Why does male pattern baldness even exist? Someone mated with a mutant bald guy 5,000 years ago and now we're all paying for it? Sigh!

I know I sound resistant to other treatments, but I'm just a very skeptical person and don't want to spend time making myself crazy over a product that may or may not be working or worse - do further damage!

Anyways.... I've rambled for too long on this. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. :woot:

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
I think anything that will give you real results after being on finasteride/minoxidil for 11 years is gonna have to be some strong stuff. If you tolerate finasteride pretty well without sides effects you can give flutamide a try, this a powerful antiandrogen that can help stop the shedding and maybe thicken things up a bit. This would also be the cheapest of my suggestions.

If you have the money and a little knowledge of making your own topicals, you could order Ru58841. This will most likly be the most effective and most expensive. It also a antiandrogen but more potent then the flutamide and chances of sides are much less.

The last one would be Dr.Proctor's proxiphen. This contains a whole cocktail of hairloss treatments, attacking male pattern baldness from many angles. Also very expensive though and requires a prescription. You can read more on proxiphen at http://www.drproctor.com/

Also don't even think about dropping finasteride or minoxidil, it might seem like they are failing now, but if you drop them you will most likely have a huge shed. I wouldn't touch dutasteride either.

Kube8

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks I'll definitely look into this.

And no, I would never stop what i've been doing or I'd be bald in a matter of weeks. Funny, I've always wondered what I'd look like had I not started the meds. You can never know for sure, but I bet it wouldn't be pretty!