Lack of growth 5 months after op

mammothd

Reaction score
I had a strip transplant of 800 grafts 2.5 years ago, which was successful.

I had another 1500 5 months ago at a different surgery, and so far have had no growth. Obviously I can't see my scalp all that well,but there doesn't look like anything is coming through.

Should I be worried it's been a waste of money? If it doesn't work can I get my money back?
The consultant says that if it "took" the first time, it will the second, and I need to be patient.

Views please.

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
From all accounts, 5 months is the doldrums of hair transplanting. Give it more time until you decide it didn't work.

As for whether you can get your money back, you'd need to speak to the doctor who did the transplant. There are some who will offer further work at free or discounted rates if results are unsatisfactory.

s.a.f

Reaction score
WTF, :freaked: I dont know what to say about either of the above posts. Firstly strip hair transplant's for 800 and 1500 grafts! This is something that went out in the mid 90's. No half reputable Dr would give someone a scar for such a small amount.

Mammothd I'd really be interested in knowing what your hairloss situation is because either 800 or 1500 grafts is a very small amount of work. These days most Dr's would use that much together (ie 2300) on a nw2. Also in my experience 1500 grafts at a UK clinic is probably just 3 or 400.

And Avery if your not happy with your work you never go back for more :crazy: wether its at a discounted price, free or even if they're paying you.

mammothd

Reaction score
Had the work done at the Wimpole Clinic in London (the second op, that is). The surgeon told me she'd done 1432 grafts- are you saying they lied?

My hair isn't very thick. I'm worried at why this didn't take (possibly). The consultant assured me if the first op took, so would the second. I THINK the growth at this stage was slightly better after 1st op.Can it differ between ops?

Attached is a photo taken today. As I said, at this stage I can't detect any new growth from 2nd op.

What can they do to help? At time of 2nd op they told me they'd only be able to get max of 800 grafts from donor area if I wanted another op.

I have to go april 2nd for 6 month review.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh49 ... GP1524.jpg

s.a.f

Reaction score

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
And Avery if your not happy with your work you never go back for more wether its at a discounted price, free or even if they're paying you.

Clearly, one wouldn't, but he asked if he could get his money back. What he should do wasn't part of his question. Nevertheless, there are doctors who offer discounted/free work for unsatisfactory results. I agree, however, that if one doesn't like the work, one shouldn't go back to that same doctor.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Sadly I've never heard of anyone getting their money (or even some of it) back, proving what you had or should have had is difficult and then most clinics make you sign waivers/disclaimers pre op. :thumbdown2:

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
mammothd said:
Obviously I can't see my scalp all that well,but there doesn't look like anything is coming through.

What?!?!? Are you blind? All I see is scalp!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
After seeing these negative results I have made up my mind going with Dr. Feller.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I dont understand. Why did you have 1500 grafts? Why?

To me, it seems that you would need 4,000+ grafts to achieve a "OK" density.

Anyway, i hope your grafts grow, but seriously, if you can afford it, consult a top doctor (they are in USA and Canada) and ask them if you have enough donor area left to actually do something about your hair. Cause even if all of the 1500 grafts grow, they wont provide any serious coverage.

Good luck!

s.a.f

Reaction score
malibujoe said:
mammothd said:
Obviously I can't see my scalp all that well,but there doesn't look like anything is coming through.

What?!?!? Are you blind? All I see is scalp!

I think he means its difficult to get a proper look in detail at the top of your own head.

I've PM'd this guy to explain the importance of research and the difference between ther top surgeons in the US and Canada and the hopeless amatuers in the UK. Hopefully one day the butchers will be put out of business.