Lactose Intolerance

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Does anyone (else) suffer from this?

I have a horrible bout of gas, and even eating dairy can affect me for at least a day or two. My woman has put up with a considerable amount of nastiness.

Any techniques or practical advice that works for you guys? The advice I've read over the net doesn't seem to work well.

Gene_Fighter

Established Member
Reaction score
Ooooh yeah, I hear ya bro, I got the same problem. I used to have horrible gas and irritatible digestion almost ALL the time. You're probably not going to like my solution, but really the only thing that has helped for me has been a change of diet. I don't drink milk anymore. AT ALL. I only drink soy-milk now. I can eat small to moderate amounts of most other dairy products without any gas, but I can't eat any yogurt at all either. It requires experimentation but you can figure it out.

HughJass

Reaction score
Don't eat/drink dairy except for certain cheeses, cultured (european) butter and yoghurt

or

Take lactase enzymes before you eat/drink anything with lactose in it, find them at the chemist or whatever you call it in America.

Milk is a geek's drink. That's reason enough to give it up.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
Take lactase enzymes before you eat/drink anything with lactose in it, find them at the chemist or whatever you call it in America.

You go to a pharmacy to buy various over-the-counter drugs and fill prescriptions that you got from a doctor, so a person who works in a pharmacy is called ....(big drum roll).... a pharmacist.

A chemist is a true scientist who works in a chemistry lab, and does various important jobs like developing new drugs, and testing chemicals.

Why on God's Green Earth do people from certain other countries (this seems to be another one of those weird Britishisms) insist on calling a guy who works behind the counter in a drugstore a CHEMIST???

HughJass

Reaction score
why on earth do you Americans pronounce the word 'herb' as 'erb. wtf have you got against the letter H?

It's not one-hundred-forty-two-dollars, it's one hundred AND forty two dollars ffs

sort it out!

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
why on earth do you Americans pronounce the word 'herb' as 'erb. wtf have you got against the letter H?

I'm with you, on that one. I think not pronouncing the "h" in "herb" is more of an affectation than anything else. At least I'm sure it was, when it first got started that way.

Of course, there are also those funny dialects of English in England (like cockney?), where people tend to drop the beginning "h" from lots of words. Do those people annoy you just as much as Americans who say "erb"? :)

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
aussieavodart said:

I'm with you, on that one. I think not pronouncing the "h" in "herb" is more of an affectation than anything else. At least I'm sure it was, when it first got started that way.

Of course, there are also those funny dialects of English in England (like cockney?), where people tend to drop the beginning "h" from lots of words. Do those people annoy you just as much as Americans who say "erb"? :)

Depends on the accent really. Some are less tolerable than others.

And it's not just the leaving off of letters before words, it's also adding them where they don't belong- most Australians pronounce the letter 'h' as 'haytch'.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
All linguists would say that so-called "dialect" and nonstandard usage is totally acceptable if it conveys meaning.

So, in the eyes of people who study language, Americanisms and Britishisms are alright. Keeping the language to a standard keeps it from evolving, you know?

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
I realized I was lactose intolerant about six months ago. My constant stomach upset went away like a week after I stopped drinking milk.

What I do now is drink Lactaid brand milk which you can get at the supermarket. It has added lactase enzymes that help you break the milk down. Works great! You can take pills too from what I understand.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Lactose intolerance is often times a symptom of other digestive track maladies. If it is simply lactose intolerance you can actually gradually diminish your symptoms and improve your digestion of lactose overtime with yogurt/kefir consumption. However if your lactose intolerance actually stems from some other gut problem there's not much you can do for your symptoms before you fix what the real problem is.