Laidback's story

Laidback

Reaction score
I do feel like I need to tell you the whole story so bear with me.

I've always been very busy with my hair. I spend a lot of time behind the mirror styling it . Now this has been a stressful year for me, parents difforcing, exams and other personal dramas (Sleeping problems etc). A couple months ago (about 4) it reached a peak. This is the first time noticing a real significant change of hair texture.

I was about to go out and as usual I don't go out without doing my hair. I've spend about 3 hours in the bathroom combing it, holding it with hairspray and then deciding it wasn't good enough so washing it all out again. I think I've washed it 4 times within 3 hours... aggressively.

The morning after it became apparent I've lost a lot of hair, it was thin and felt lifeless ALL OVER my scalp, not just the temples or crown. My hair was perfectly normal the months before this evening. I never had very thick hair (about average I'd say), but I had a lot.

Now I've noticed a slightly receding hairline since about 2 years, but again, slightly. It has accelerated since that evening, I now have a sharper angled V on the top of my head, but no balding crown. Though, the hair on the sides of my head, around my ears and my sideburns, have become VERY thin compared to before. I'd say the hair on top of my head is thicker, or at least as thick as the hair on the sides. But in all I'm very certain the hair all over the scalp has thinned significantly compared to before.

In the passing month you could see that there's been some damage done to the hairs through combing. A lot of really crooked long hairs (most of which are completely white, but way too long to be grown within a month). I also started to notice a lot of hair shedding with the white bulbs at the end. But that's maybe because I stopped combing and washing my hair everyday to prevent more damage. It was never handful of hairs, but I did notice a lot of single hairs falling out at random times. Sometimes I'd find 10 hairs on my hand growing trough my hair, sometimes I only find 1, or none.

Anyway, this has continued for a few months. Through this period I was certain I'm losing more hair than normal, but not by a lot (I think?). I always find a couple of strands on my clothes, a couple of strands in the sink and a couple in my pillow. I could never get a good, accurate count. Being paranoia about it didn't help either.

The current state of my hair isn't any better than where I started that evening. All over my scalp the hair feels thin and light. Where I used to force my hair into any hairstyle, it is now lifeless. Also, I haven't had a haircut for a good 3 months. Maybe it's time to get one.

I do see a lot of tiny hairs along my hairline, especially in the front. I don't know if that is normal, or if that's a sign of regrowth. The new hairs do seem kinda thin though (but about same diameter of the hairs around it). But yeah, it is quite comforting seeing regrowing activities (. The shedding at the moment is not as bad as it was. I still find a hair falling out here and there, but not much.

So.. I'm 19 years old, I have dark blond hair, I'm very vain, had a very stressful year and I handled my hair without much care. I have no history of male pattern baldness in neither side of the family tree as far as my parents know (literally no balding), but I don't exclude it. Tellogen Effluvium is a rare thing for men (or so I've been told by my doctor), so I'm not counting on that (although my situation does kinda sound like Telogen Effluvium). On a side note, I have done a lot of exercising WITH the use of creatine. I didn't lose hair during or following the use of creatine, and I didn't use it for a very long period. I trained with a friend and my younger brother, also using creatine, and they haven't noticed any hair loss.

I'm not quite sure what happened. My hair changed completely in the course of 5 months. Maybe it's hormonal changes, maybe it's poor diet and stress, short on sleep, male pattern baldness kicking in, I don't know. I'm now a norwood 2 I'd say. I have a decent V, but that's it. The hair is about equally dense all over the scalp, but it's particularly noticeable on the sides, especially near my sideburns. It's not see through but I think the hair color is becoming a bit lighter.

I gave up on worrying about the progressing V, but I do want to know what happened in this period. I do not recall a traumatic emotional experience before this happened, but I did have a lot of stress and an unhealthy lifestyle. I smoke pot, I smoke cigarettes and since I quit exercising I quit following my protein diet. I still keep track of what I eat but I lost a lot of weight since I stopped training. Oh and I sleep very irregular.

So yeah, I must admit I'm still hoping for my hair to grow back to normal, I'm not entirely convinced it's male pattern baldness although it probably is, right?

Oh and sorry for the failing english, I'm dutch (hence the pot).

Thank you for reading.

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: I need your opinion on this detailed story.

So you don't even have one great-grandfather that went bald or half bald even? Your father and grandfathers never got crown thinning or hairline recession? If so, then you would have to be awfully unlucky to go bald. You may just have some slow, mild recession like I do. finasteride may help revive those tiny hairline hairs and maintain your hair for many years in that case.

Don't try to count the hairs you are losing as it is a futile effort. If your hair is thick you may lose a bit more than 100 hairs a day naturally and you may find dozens falling out when you massage your scalp because the hairs that fall out all stay stuck among the other hairs. As a blond you probably have more hair than the average non-male pattern baldness guy.