Larrs's Story

Larrs

Reaction score
Hey guys, finally decided to make a "Tell your story" thread. Been lurking here the last few months and I have to say thank you to everyone posting here, it has been a great place for information and guidance since I started noticing my hairloss.

I'm 21 years old and from Norway. I've allways been terrified of losing my hair, and the last year has been filled with alot of depression and frustration.

I can't say for sure when I started losing my hair, but around august 2011 was when the scalp itching started. At first I didn't connect the itching to hairloss at all, so I didn't really start researching hairloss treatments until late december. I quickly realised that the big 3 was the best approach to dealing with hairloss.

I'm losing most hair at the hairline and temples, but it's also alot thinner on the top (really ranging from my crown to my hairline). If I scratch my scalp anywhere on the top, back or front there will always follow a few hairs between my fingers if I squeeze them gently together before my hand leaves the hair. It's hard to say exactly how many hairs I lose during a day, but it's more than a 100.

In the beginning of march I had my first appointment with a derm. It was a pretty sad experience. She refused to listen to me and my story and firmly stated that I did not have any hairloss (even though I tried to show her how easely my hair fell out when I stratched my head, and my receding temples). She prescribed me with a dermovate ointment and a very expensive shampoo that I had never heard of (can't remember the name).

The dermovate ointment helps abit, but not much and the effect only last a few hours tops. I never bothered to buy the shampoo as I quickly got a new appointment with a different derm.

The other derm was willing to subscribe me 5mg Actavis finasteride, and I started taking 1,25 mg a day from march 10.2012. Before starting with finasteride I had used kirkland 5% minoxidil and 2% keto (not nizoral but pretty similar) for about a month.

Allready after 3 weeks on finasteride I started noticing the effects. My scalp itching had decreased and my hairloss had slowed down alot. Still lost some hair at the temples but that could be some minoxidil shed. I only apply minoxidil at temples and hairline. Unfortunately, with my reduced hairloss and improved scalp also came the sideeffects.

I have a girlfriend, so noticing the sexual sideeffects was easy and very obvious. It is not all in my head, unfortunately, and it's pretty bad. Loss of libido and ED (to the point that it's hard for me finishing the race when having sex, and sometimes not even being hard enough to have sex). The last 10 days or so I've been on a reduced dosage of finasteride, about .3 mg, but this has not helped much and the hairloss has increased again and my scalp is back to itching like crazy. Having a girlfriend through it all has been amazing, and she's allways understanding and comforting, but she can't really relate to the issues with hairloss like other people experiencing it can.

I've decided to stop taking finasteride in a few days because of the sides. This is not at all ment to be a thread against finasteride, I knew the risks and never really doubted trying it out. It has worked wonders for others, and I recommend it to anyone trying to fight male pattern baldness, it's just depressing realising that I can't use it.

Now I feel like I've kinda lost. I've tried researching how to fight agressive hairloss without finasteride, but it seems pretty hopeless. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I would love to find a regiment that works without finasteride.

I have also considered going to dutasteride, a few months after stopping finasteride maybe, but it is my impression that it is likely ill experience the same sides that I have on finasteride.

I guess I just wanted to get this out there, without a spesific goal in mind, it feels good to share this with someone going through the same stuff. Also to get other, more experienced opinions. I will add pictures as soon as possible.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
for a lot of people side effects go away after a while as your body adjusts to new hormone levels....

Larrs

Reaction score
Hi and thanks the answer.

Yea I've been told before, but I felt that after almost 2 weeks with a reduced dose I would see some results. I'm scared that the longer I stay on finasteride, seeing that it is giving me sides, the worse it will get. Wouldn't it have stabilized by now, or atleast improved?

Uploading pictures to imageShack now.

Larrs

Reaction score
Here's a link to a few pictures I took from feb 01.-18. I took new pictures today that I will upload tomorrow, off to my gf now. The pics arent very good and you'll see that pictures of my left temple is wetter than the pictures from the right, but you'll get a decent impression of my situation.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24 ... mpel1.jpg/

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
if you are worried about hair loss now, then its going to get a whole lot worse without finasteride, definitely try to get some sort of anti-androgen going even if its just some weak topical.

Larrs

Reaction score
Allready 30-35 hours without finasteride I noticed sides disappearing. It's been a few days withouth it now, and it's def getting better, though still not back to pre-finasteride days, but I'm not worried, it'll probably get back to normal again after a week or so.

I agree with you Antman, and after reading alot over the weekend I thought I'd try going with rogain foam in the morning and kirkland 5% before bed, and try out sprio and revivogen. Any thoughts about this regiment? Anything I should add? Any typical sides on spironolactone or revivogen?

I've seen a few threads were people have had decent results with this kind of regiment, so I am positive.

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
its a bummer about finasteride, at least your side effects are fading.

spironolactone is proven to be an anti-androgen in the sebaceous glans and will definitely have some kind of retardation on Androgenetic Alopecia and diffuse. it's definitely possible to have success from spironolactone and i've seen it before on someone who got sides from finasteride. i haven't seen much from revivogen tho.

Larrs

Reaction score
Ordering spironolactone and rogain foam today! I've been reading alot about RU/RUM lately, seem pretty interesting and is something I will try to obtain and learn more about. Just worried if it'll get through customs, any thoughts on this?

Edit: Just tried to order spironolactone from the shop here at HairLossTalk.com, the price is 90$, but the shipping was 98$, so I'm going to see if theres somewhere else to buy this without having to pay such a ridiculous shipping.

Can't seem to find any websites selling spironolactone, seem almost like the easiest solution is to make it myself? :/

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
I experienced awful side effects on finasteride between week 2 and week 5. After week 8 or so, they completely went away. I thought people just got used to the side effects, but they really do go away for most people.

Larrs

Reaction score
Thanks kc444, thats encouraging. I am planning to try finasteride again, gonna give spironolactone a shot first. Maybe a combo of them both, with a very reduced dose of finasteride will do.

Trying to get in touch with FE for some ru58841, have sent emails to the two emailadresses listed at their website, but no reply yet. Anyone still ordering from them with success? Have read about RU for hours every day now, putting together pieces of information from different post all over the forum, seems very intereseting. A hassle to get a hold of though.