Lasercomb and Diffuse thinning

DonnyD

Reaction score
Hi...

Im a norwood 1.5 and am experiencing diffuse thinning on the right side of my scalp...Do u think the lasercomb would be a good buy to thicken up ?? I was on propecia for 3 months and just couldnt handle the side effects (libido issues and i think gyno!!!!!) ...I have pretty longish hair and using rogaine is impractical because its makes my scalp so damn oily its unbelievable...All i want to do is thicken up the right side!!! the left side is do damn thick that you cant even see a minute amount of scalp even under direct light ... :?

anyone using the lasercomb for thickenning purposes only ??????

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DonnyD,

I suggest you go to your doctor and get a blood work-up done (specifically a thyroid test). Most of the time Androgenetic Alopecia presents in a fairly symmetrical way. What you are describing seems very asymmetrical.

Anyhow, if you do have Androgenetic Alopecia you must understand that you have to treat the underlying problem which is DHT. If you do not treat that "problem" you will continue to loose hair.

Finasteride is your best weapon in that fight. Not using Finasteride is a big handicap to any routine. I would suggest you try to 1/2 the dose and see if that helps with the side effects. If that doesnt work try slicing the tab in 3. Finasteride has been shown to have a similar effect at .22mg as it does at 1mg.

If that is not an option look into:

Spironolactone
fluridil
Zix w/ azelaic acid

Or hair treatment systems like:

Revivogen
Crinagen

As far as growing hair the only weapon you have there is minoxidil. You can look into some of Dr. Lee's minoxidil solutions at: www.minoxidil.com

You can also look into a hybrid minoxidil solution called the "oz brew" (Click me for more info).

As far as the laser comb, dont waste your money bud. The comb is nothing more then a $20 laser pointer turned into a $600 comb. No one I ever talked to had any real results with it... The most common benefit of use seems to be "shinny" hair

/shrugs

Good luck

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
Thats not true asymmetrical balding is very common...

I agree, my left side receeded a LOT way before my right side. Now however, the right side has caught up and in fact looks even worse.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would not say asymmetrical is very common. Most of the men I see that loose hair do so in a pattern (hence the name male pattern baldness). True it may not be perfectly even but it almost never just hits one side and not the other.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
actually there have been quite a few threads discussing asymetrical hairloss here. It seems to be more common than symetrical hairloss.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
actually there have been quite a few threads discussing asymetrical hairloss here. It seems to be more common than symetrical hairloss.

A few threads here doesnt make asymetrical "more common" then pattern loss. If that was the case it wouldnt be called male pattern baldness now would it :)

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
ok well then out of all the people here who participated in several threads regarding this topic, asymetrical hairloss was most common.....so if nothing else, the majority of people who visit hairloss forums have asymetrical hair loss. :lol:

The pattern word just refers to the top of the head :lol: ...all depends on your interpratation.

your hair grows and falls out in a spiral pattern on your head so this would make sense as well

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ok well then out of all the people here who participated in several threads regarding this topic, asymetrical hairloss was most common.....so if nothing else, the majority of people who visit hairloss forums have asymetrical hair loss

Not trying to argue with ya :) but several threads regarding asymmetrical hairloss doesnt constitute a majority of people here.

I'm 26yrs old and in my ENTIRE life I never saw a man with Androgenetic Alopecia suffer from a truly asymmetrical hairloss pattern. Sure one temple might be a little more receded then the other but it pretty much follows a pattern that is fairly symmetrical.

Hair loss on one side and not the other could be a sign of telogen effluvium or alopecia areata.

I would highly recommend any man with a truly asymmetrical type of hair loss to seek out a dermatologist for a full examination.

Just my two cents anyhow.

Basketballhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree that there does exist a world outside this forum and while opinions in this forum do not constitute complete normalcy and general balding patterns of all men medical research does. It is well known that patients suffering from male pattern baldness lose hair in an asymmetrical fashion. The gray area obviously involves how asymmetrical the loss must be for us to truly consider it asymmetrical. When we say asymmetrical were are not referring to the complete loss of hair on one side of the scalp and then the other. The difference in lose is minute and often unnoticeable to the untrained eye...

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DonnyD (the original poster) said:

Im a norwood 1.5 and am experiencing diffuse thinning on the right side of my scalp...All i want to do is thicken up the right side!!! the left side is do damn thick that you cant even see a minute amount of scalp even under direct light

That is my idea of asymmetrical alopecia. I will guarantee you that if it is Androgenetic Alopecia it is a very uncommon form of it.

Some " Minuet and often unnoticeable" variation to the Norwood scale is not asymmetrical alopecia! That is what we call psychosomatic obsession!!!! LoL

Anyone who truly is experiencing asymmetrical alopecia SHOULD get checked out by a qualified dermatologist to ensure an accurate diagnosis and treatment.

Kuma

Reaction score
Laser Comb Only For Thinning Hair

I just received my Laser Comb yesterday. It is easy to use. I keep it on my nightstand and use it just before bed as I watch TV. I will post reports every time I see a change -- good or bad - or if a significant time period has elapsed - no change. I use nothing else right now.

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
You may notice a shed early on followed by thickening around month 3 or 4. That's what I noticed anyway.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Basketballhead said:
It is well known that patients suffering from male pattern baldness lose hair in an asymmetrical fashion. The gray area obviously involves how asymmetrical the loss must be for us to truly consider it asymmetrical.

I think you nailed it :)

emeralsisle

Reaction score
is everybone here a bit tick.....! the guys main question was weither anyone could recommend any effectiveness from the lasercomb for his problem.... and do you think anyone could stay on that thread? no.... instead like most other discussion groups on the net, you go of the rails and start talking about something indirectly relating to his direct question. sometimes you people just love to talk shite. again i ask.. will someone answer his question plane and simple...ie.. is the bloody lasercomb any good? if you used the lasercomb your comments are greatly appreciated..... if not... then dont bloody reply! heaven help us!

Kuma

Reaction score
Question answered by two of us

Actually, Emeralsisle, the question was directly answered by George Costanza and a forthcoming answer was promised by me. I just received my Laser Comb and I will be using it exclusively for thinning - I shall give updates when I notice a change. :)

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
emeralsisle said:
is everybone here a bit tick.....! the guys main question was weither anyone could recommend any effectiveness from the lasercomb for his problem.... and do you think anyone could stay on that thread? no.... instead like most other discussion groups on the net, you go of the rails and start talking about something indirectly relating to his direct question. sometimes you people just love to talk shite. again i ask.. will someone answer his question plane and simple...ie.. is the bloody lasercomb any good? if you used the lasercomb your comments are greatly appreciated..... if not... then dont bloody reply! heaven help us!

Nice first post .....did you even bother to do a search for lasercomb here. This isn't the only thread you know.
Sometimes threads unintentionally go off topic...yea it's annoying but it happens all the time. Do yourself a favor and try not to be the post police, at least not with your first post :p