Lawguy's Story - (Help!! Why am I losing my hair??)

lawguy

Reaction score
Hi

I am a 25 year old guy. I recently took the bar exam (at the end of february) and have been under a lot of stress between Christmas and this month. I have noticed during that time that my hair, in the front only, and particularly towards my right side (not so much on the left) has been thinning significantly. When I take a shower some hair- a few strands- usually come out when before they wouldn't. The same also occurs when I comb my hair. The hair on the side of my head isn't thinning per se but it doesn't feel as thick when I touch it as it once did (but this could just be my imagination). At my most recent hair cut I pointed it out to the hair dresser who informed me that it can't be male pattern baldness because it is only in the front and not in the back. She guessed it was stress and gave me a shampoo to help. The shampoo has proven unhelpful. My hair is definitely thinner though as it was once very thick but now I can see my scalp. I can also feel my scalp when I rub part of the front of my hair. Is this from the stress of law exams or something else entirely? I find it particularly odd that it is only on one side of my head... I've attached a picture from before the loss and one from now in case that helps any. Also, I have been overweight most of my life- but lost 35 pounds over the past summer which I regained during the fall and am not back at losing again. I also don't sleep much because of my sleep apnea and a general inability to shut my mind off at night. I have also had severe dandruff problems for many years but assume it is unrelated. Pattern baldness does run in the family but neither of my parents have it, just extended family. I also heard some thinning is normal for a guy in his mid 20s but I am not sure it would be this severe... any idea what it is? male pattern? stress? cancer ( :( )?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 0b4f78e.jpg
    0b4f78e.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 797

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Help!! Why am I losing my hair??

Your hairdresser is an idiot. You have male pattern baldness by the looks of it to me...

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score

That's male pattern baldness alright.

Check out propecia, minoxodil and nizoral asap.

They should all be easily affordable to a lawyer so better pass those exams lol

lawguy

Reaction score

Thanks Born. Thanks Tom. That is what I was afraid of. My hair is one of the few things I have going for me physically.... oh well.... I don't think my gf will mind too too much.

Tom1985 said:
They should all be easily affordable to a lawyer so better pass those exams lol

haha I wish! Right now I am working for $11.13 an hour until November. In November my job only pays $51,000 a year and I have $120,000 in debt.... the legal job market is a joke, even seperate from the crappy economy.

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score

Yeah man, my sister is a law graduate and went through the same sh*t. She's a teacher now lol.

But the good news is that you still have hair. Regrowth is the hard part. Maintaining what you already have and maybe thickening it is entirely possible.

Both propecia and minoxidil have their downsides which you should look into but they do both work for most people.

Good luck

lawguy

Reaction score

Thanks guys. Is it true that Finastride causes impotence and lack of sexual drive for up to 28 months after you stop using it though?

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score

It can but it probably won't is the short answer.

Check out the Side-Effects section of this forum for more info.

FYI - There are members of this forum who are aggressively pro-finasteride and refuse to believe in side-effects.
There are also members of this forum who are completely against it and have suffered horribly from side effects themselves.

Whether or not to take the drug is entirely up to you but you should DEFINITELY consult your doctor first.