Left temple recession only, unsure if male pattern baldness or mature hairline

kirashira

Reaction score
Hello,

I have slight temporal recession only on the left, on the right my hairline is extremely strong and still looks very juvenile. I have noticed the recession about 5 months ago and have reason to believe it could be that I have tellogen effluvium, because about 7 months ago I was under extreme stress and had a case of minor PTSD for 2 weeks.

I saw a derm about a month ago and she told me to wait a few more months to see if it continues and she could prescribe me propecia. She told me she had no idea whether it was male pattern baldness or tellogen effluvium. Thinking about seeing another derm soon...

Just want to add I am 24, asian and my family has zero history of male pattern baldness.

What do you guys think? Pics attached.

Front.jpgLeft temple.jpgRight temple.jpg

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Why would Telogen Effluvium follow the pattern of male pattern baldness? It is either a mature hairline forming or male pattern baldness. In essence the two are the same. I mean the mechanism. It's just whether or not the pattern continuous! If you have no history of male pattern baldness but you have a small family you might be the unlucky one. Check if anyone has a mature hairline in your family. If they don't, then it might be male pattern baldness. For the record, your hairline is better than most. Even better than hairlines of many girls I see around.

bumblebeewang

Reaction score
The exact same thing happened to me.
It started on the left side first, so I didn't really pay any attention to it.
Before I knew it, the right side started catching up.

kirashira

Reaction score
The exact same thing happened to me.
It started on the left side first, so I didn't really pay any attention to it.
Before I knew it, the right side started catching up.

Did it really look similar to mine? Mine has started five months ago but there has been zero loss on the right...