length and width of a middle scar? and how does it close?

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Whats is the ordinary length and width of a middle scar (defore the Doctor closes it?)
Also, how does that thing close and cause no disturbance to the rest of the head? It does not make any sense to me, especially when I hear about FUT procedures of 3000+ grafts.

s.a.f

Reaction score
It all depends on the amount of grafts needed, the surgeon will cut whatever length and width he needs to get the amount of grafts he requires.
It all depends on the patients characteristics how dense is the hair in his donor area and how lax is the skin and how big is the patients head.
Typicaly the strip will be between 20 - 30 cm long and 1 - 2 cm wide.
And as for closing the scar the length fact that its so long and thin makes it easier for the head to accomdate its removal and obviously the scalp is more lax than people realise. But it takes great skill to close such a wound whilst minimising the scar.
FWIW I've had 5 strips done and have been told that I still have the option of another small one.

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
thylax said:
Whats is the ordinary length and width of a middle scar (defore the Doctor closes it?)
Also, how does that thing close and cause no disturbance to the rest of the head? It does not make any sense to me, especially when I hear about FUT procedures of 3000+ grafts.
The strip can extend from top of one ear to the top of the other ear.
I have read that the laxity of scalp ensures there is not too much tension in the remaining scalp. Personally, I consider strip barbaric.
But if you have to undergo it, better plan for one large strip rather than multiple small ones. The scar tissue each time must impact the future laxity.

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I just can't understand, guys, how a "2-cm width" cut on our heads can close (and this 4-5 times!)...

s.a.f

Reaction score
Skin is very elastic just look at what happens when a woman is pregnant.

Rwt_Raj

Established Member
Reaction score
thylax said:
I just can't understand, guys, how a "2-cm width" cut on our heads can close (and this 4-5 times!)...

A 2cm wide strip 4 to 5 times is madness. The total safe donor area is just 6 to 7 cm wide U shape area on side and back of head.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Rwt_Raj said:
A 2cm wide strip 4 to 5 times is madness. The total safe donor area is just 6 to 7 cm wide U shape area on side and back of head.

I did'nt say I had a 2cm strip taken 4/5 times. I just gave the approximate sizes that most surgeons use.
Let me explain yes I have had 5 strips but unfortunatley 3 of them were done here in the UK and we all know what UK hair transplant's are like :thumbdown2: :badmood: :(
So the first 3 of my hair transplant's produced only a few hundred grafts each so I'm guessing that these strips were nowhere near 2cm wide and they certainly were'nt 20 - 30 cm long, more like 10 - 12cm.

After my UK butcherings I went to Dr Feller in NY and finally had a decent sized strip that harvested 2898 grafts I would guess that this one was around 1.3 - 1.6cm wide I'm not sure but I was told that I do have good laxity. !8months later I went back for another strip this one resulted in 2100 grafts so it must have been slightly smaller.
Feller says he could still get another 1000 strip in a year or so but thats not enough to tempt me back. The real issue is what could he have done if I'd gone to him in the first place as a virgin scalp and not as a repair patient?
He estimates that he could have probably got an initial strip of about 4 - 4500 and a 2nd strip of about 3000. :(