Letsget2thepoint-51's story- (21 with thinning vertex)

Reaction score
Hey guys i just turned 21 and have noticed some slight thinning in the vrown/vertex area, along with some slight receding in my hairline. Ive been a "lurker" here for a few weeks and have found this by far the most helpful site.

so how did this all start?

This summer i grew my hair out and noticed a thin area in teh back of my head along with a few thin patches on the top of my head, at first i thought nothing of this and figured that my "long" hair was causing this effect. Well a few months later and a hair cut i noticed that it wasnt the long hair causing the thin spots but def. some sort of thinning. I have very thin/fine hair by nature but my family has absolutely NO history of M.P.B and literally every male in my family has no signs of hair loss. With no signs of hair loss on either side of my family goign back as far as i could find i really had some denial issues with my thinning hair for the first several months. As mind boggling as it is i seem to have become the lucky first one because i have without a doubt experience some ahir loss/thinning. my hairline is still V strong and i dont have a problem with a "mature" hairline but the thinning on the crown and top of my head is something i would really liek to stop,and im hoping to catch this before it becomes noticable. I went to a dermatologist and after a few glances he seemed to think i had the begginings of male pattern baldness. I received my prescription for propecia and am going to Give that a try for the next 9 months minimum hopefulyl stopping any further hairloss and if i am lucky regrowing the thin area on the crown.

Well once again i appreciate the info on this page and reading about people going through the same thing as me really has helped me with this. So once again guys thanks for the info.

I plan on posting a few pics as soon as i can get ahold of a camera so let me know what u guys think, although it will be hard to judge because in some lighting situation with a thickening shampoo i seem to have VERY little hairloss, but in others its very obvious.

also do u think propecia/proscar will be enough? i really dont want to get started with a topical minoxidl as that seems liek a huge hassle for the rest of my life, but i am open for any suggestions.

once again thanks for the help guys and im glad to be part of the community

-matt

G

Hello 51,

yes I think that Propecia in your case should be enough. You are fortunate to catch it early and Propecia is known to be very good at regrowing/thickening the crown area. You made the right decision.

Pictures are always a good way to determine how your hair situation is developing.

Good Luck with your hair!

Reaction score
yes, hopefully i respond well to it and im really considering going with the 5% minoxidile. If i coudl regrow some of the hair in the crown and stop further loss with propecia i dont think anyone woudl even know i had much of a hair loss issue at all, liek i said im in the fairly early stages. BUt the idea of using rogain or generic minoxidl for the rest of my life REALLY doesnt sound very appealing its a HUGE commitment. Ive checked out your page Taugenichts and think im in about the same situation as u (in the crown) with a little bit better hair line. I know how much something like this can effect your mood. Hair loss isnt somethign ive thought about and i even gave a friend of mine a hard time about his hair when he started losing him. BOY do i feel like a jerk now, i never knew how much something liek this can effect your confidence and didnt think it woudl bug him at all. BUt if anyone were to make comments about my hair loss (ive hid it well up to this point) i really think that would bug me.

pictures coming soon.......

G

Ok, sounds quite promising. You should definetly wait with minoxidil. Give Propecia 12 months to work. If the results aren´t satisfying then you take the next step and add Minoxidil, at least this is what I am planning to do. Like that you won´t have to use Minoxidil when you maybe do not need it at all since Propecia alone is doing the trick for you. It is good to hear that your hairline is still in good shape. The thickening of thinning areas is always easier than regrowing a hairline as you can read in various success stories.

I didn´t think about hairloss either and was totally shocked when I realized that I was actually losing it. The barbers always used to comment on the thickness of my hair and how I would never go bald......
When I was 20 I also remember how I made fun of another guy who was like 21 but already a Norwood 4. This was really mean and I deeply regret what I have done to this poor fellow. I also used to point another guy´s baldness once...... Damn, I somehow deserve to suffer from baldness. Thank god like you I also managed to hide my baldness so that I didn´t have any comments by other people so far.

Reaction score
well

well my hairloss has continued at its normal pace with some general thinning of the crown that im still sort of able to hide and i have noticed some thinning on the top/middle part of my head as well. BUT its still reasoanble and with it combed forward it only looks like a VERY slight thinning in the back.

decided to give the big 3 a try i have been on 5 percent rogain applying twice a day, propecia, and i use nizoral 2-3 times a week

im starting week 3 today

that seems like pretty much all i can do from what ive read so heres hoping for a stop in hair loss and any regrowth woudl be great because i woudlnt seem to have any hair loss at all

any other suggestions far as vitamins, supllements etc........im willing to try anything reasonable

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep...all you can do is wait now.

I reckon you jumped the gun on the rogaine, though. It's something you probably could have avoided considering you're also on propecia. You don't want to be stuck putting that crap in your hair for the rest of your life when propecia could do the job on its own. I reckon ditch the rogaine until you've given the propecia at least 8 months to do its thing.

Reaction score
yeah

i at first was gonan give propecia like 6-10 months to do its thing but to be honest i am getting desperate. I am barely hanging on as far as with the hair loss and it becoming noticable. Im willing to do anything to keep it so i its not somethign obvious. IT is a huge hassle to put it on two times a day but my goal is to do it forawhile and get some re growth then maybe just put it in before bed. BEfore bed isnt a hassle at all its in the morning that i hate to get my hair all greasy and stuff

Reaction score
yikes

been on propecia/rogain for around a month now and i have alost a lot of hair in the crown/vertex area........the front is still solid but the small balding spot has grown and basically the entire back of my head has thinned out a bitt............ i don tknow if its the rogain or not but my head has been itching liek crazy and there has been a small amount of irritation. I know that propecia/rogain/nizordal cannt hurt my hair and can only help make it better so i just am gonn ahave to trust in them and hope for the best. Its getting a bit depressing as i am no longer able to cover the back of my head and look "normal"

G

Nizoral made my scalp more itchy. Maybe you stop for 2-3 weeks in order to see whether your scalp improves or not.

H2O

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: yikes

Letsget2thepoint-51 said:
been on propecia/rogain for around a month now and i have alost a lot of hair in the crown/vertex area........the front is still solid but the small balding spot has grown and basically the entire back of my head has thinned out a bit............ i don tknow if its the rogain or not but my head has been itching liek crazy and there has been a small amount of irritation. I know that propecia/rogain/nizordal cannt hurt my hair and can only help make it better so i just am gonn ahave to trust in them and hope for the best. Its getting a bit depressing as i am no longer able to cover the back of my head and look "normal"

I'm in the same bag as you...been on the big three for a small spell and have really just seen some thinning. Your attitude is a good one. Patients is the key....and trust that shedding is part of the cycle and an indication that the regimen is working.

It's very natural to get anxious. We're in an "instant" society that demands instant results so it is extra hard to think in these terms. When we pay our money, we get our product right away. When we take this regimen, we expect fairly quick signs of success. Instead we many times get worse through the shedding of "resting phase" hairs. Then the slow deliberate nature of hair growth leaves us at the edge of our seat for 6-12 months not knowing if we will be a "good responder" or not. Sometimes it takes twice that time to see noticable, satisfying results. That is why going with "proven" methods, as you have done, is wise. Keep the faith and don't let doubt derail your future success.

As far as the itching and irritation, I might suggest trying Tricomin spray. This is a copper peptide based spray. It is believed by most to help with scalp health and even potentially increase hair shaft thickness. Also, more importantly in your case, it tends to sooth the scalp and help with inflamation...stop itching. I have been using it for a month now and I have to say it's fantastic. I apply it twice a day, about 15 minutes after my rogaine foam application (or whenever the rogaine you've applied dries). It definitely is soothing and I have been itch free ever since. You just spray it on liberally all over your crown 2x per day.

Other than that...Taugenichts' suggestion is also a good one and removing Nizoral for a week or two as an experiment at least wouldn't derail your progress while taking away the minoxidil most certainly would. You can always restart if you find it was actually helping, not hurting.

Also I assume you are using the minoxidil 5% Foam, correct ? If you are using the "classic" version of minoxidil...applying with an eyedropper, may I suggest using the foam product instead. It might not irritate your scalp as much, if Rogaine is the culprit, that is. You didn't specify so I'm throwing that out there as well...

Finally, yes, do take pictures. The mind and your eye can play tricks on you and are unreliable. Even if you don't wish to share them on these boards, at least take some "baseline" pictures that you can privately compare with 3 or 6 month follow-up pictures. This is the best way to judge your regrowth sucess.

Good luck !!

Reaction score
updates

done with about 2 months of the big three and my hair seems about the same, i got a good hair cut that pretty much masks any severe thinning and my hair only looks really thin under like a really bright b-room Light. If i coudl maintain this for awhile i woulld be ok, and ive kind of gotten used to the thin hair. While its thin there still IS hair so its not that noticable. Heres to a few more montsh of this sh*t and hopefully some regrowth occurs

Reaction score
sides

there have been a few, i dont wake up with the automatic morning wood liek i used to and my stuff seems a bit more watery. I have also noticed a little softer erection and decreased sex drive, but these things are very mild and might just be in my head. Im a 21 year old guy so a little loss of sex drive is probably a Good thing ha

minoxidil itches like a b**ch but other then a few small things so far so good. No real shedding either

Reaction score
k

ok ive been on propecia and nizoral 2-3x times a week since november... I went on rogain and rogain foam for a few months but decided to give that up because it is a huge hassle, and i want to see if i can get by on finasteride and nizoral alone

i cant explain what really is happening i feel liek im losing more hair, but my hair quality has improved, the hair feels healthier and i seem to have more scalp coverage, so i consider this to be a succes. with some hair thickening shampoo, i can get out of the shower and look pretty good without much work for 5-6 hours........ill keep updates but im really hoping my hair will continue to improve and by summer i wont have much to worry about

wish me luck, thanks guys

-matt

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My hair situation sounds identical to yours and I've been on on finasteride + nizoral for over a month now.

yep, best of luck to both of us mate :)

Reaction score
my hair

a few questions looking for advice-
i have considered getting back on rogaine, but i dont even know how to apply it. MY hair has thinned out in several large spots. Basically the entire top of my head, temple side of head area, and back of head have all drastically thinned out, but no bald spots are there. I have super thin hair now, and i don tknow how i woudl even go abouts putting rogain on my head, unless i wanted to just cover the entire top and back of head with the foam........so shoudl i just stick with finasteride and nizoral and hope it thickens up?

propecia, im in month 5 ish of it and my hair seems healthier, but it is definantly way more thin. Does propecia have the power to thicken up hair all over teh entire scalp?

with hair thickening shampoo i look ok when i get right out of the shower and my hair drys, but what is my next move as far as hair goes, im not dealing with a bald spot, or a concentrated area liek i was in teh past, my entire scalp is thinning out slowly

Im just a little confused and paranoid, and dont know how to attack a problem like this, and im curious what some of options are, and if anyone has any idea how this is gonan pan out long term

thanks for the advice-matt

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
please hold off on the minoxidil.

it sounds like you're going through a shed - the propecia is working and soon your hair will grow back nice and thick :)

Reaction score

thanks flimflam................your optomism is really something i wish i had more of, but having a good attitude about things i belive can make a big difference.

propecia can only help, so imma try and stop worrying about this and see where i am at in a few more months

i am gonan hold off on the minoxidil, and my plan is to give propecia like 9 months minimum before i mess with anything else

Reaction score

my hair quality seems to have improved but i am still slowly thinning out pretty much everywhere now. IF i comb my hair forward it looks ok, but that is about it. Im still hoping the propecia will kick in, im about month 5 ish and ive heard months 6-12 is when u start seeing the effects, im also shampooing with nizoral a few days a week.

-matt