Life on Norwood ave.

Creativename

Reaction score
Hello all,

After lurking in the shadows of this forum as an unregistered user in times of inner darkness, or in desperation to seek answers for the hairloss I first began experiencing in my late teens, I have finally decided to join and share my story.

I first started noticing that I was losing my hair at what seemed like the extremely early age of 17. As I'm sure many, if not all of you who began to lose at this age experienced, my life slowly but surely began to and has plunged into a state of constant inner worry, plagued by bouts perodic insecurity. Although I am, and was for the most part a pretty secure, good looking kid, being a teenager was already a hard enough task to handle without losing the hairs on the top of my head while my friends were fighting theirs back. (and still are, bastards.)

Anyway, three years and many follicles later I am 20, and my hairline shows obvious signs of receding. Since early childhood I have always worn my hair in a buzz cut so tracking and comparing the signs of my hairloss through out the years has been easy. I am a very meticulous person, a perfectionist in certain respects, so this whole hairloss thing has been a battle.

In all hoensty I catch myself over analyzing my hair and constantly taking pictures of it. Recently, I took the plunge and decided to try and grow my hair out in an attempt to have a cool 50's haircut before I lost it, but ended up driving myself insane with the feeling that it didn't look good grown out and receding at the same time.

I unfortunately am not blessed with the thick dark hair many dudes with receding hairlines have, and am rather thin, so when push comes to shove I expect I will end up looking somewhat like Moby. LOL

I also have a good side and a bad side. My right side is receding at a much faster and more noticeable pace than my left. It is to the point that I literally try to make sure I am being viewed or photographed from my right side. Does anyone else share this?

Anyway, the point of all of this was simply to share my story I guess.. as far as options to solve the issue.. I will forever be looking into this.. there is no way I will just accept defeat, although I probably should for my sanities sake, my personality however will just not permit it.

Call me vain, call me insecure... I just can't stand the idea of the mediocrity that hairloss seems to classify me under in the primal world that is human attraction. No, I do not let my hair define me as a person.. yes I dream to accomplish and live life successfully and in an inspiring manner to others.. however.. at the end of the day... and the reality sets in, hairloss sucks.

I have included some pics over time .. most from 2012-2014

You can see it grown out and short.

The shot where my hair is the shortest is from 2012.. At the time I had been dealing with somewhat of a drug/alcohol problem and it seems as if that might have accelerated my hairloss at the time. I was also smoking cigarettes. It seems, though hard to tell, that stopping smoking has really helped slow the loss.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.. Ideas on how to keep it.. similar stories.. or whatever you like

Currently I am using biotin vitamins and minoxidil 5% with little sign of gaining back any loss.

Thanks for reading

By the way if anyone around my age, or any age at that has any successful hair transplant experiences I would love to hear them out of pure interest.

DSC05794.JPG 2012 - I can't explain this one
IMG_5050.jpg2014 - Tonight, Right (bad) side
IMG_5051.jpg2014 - Tonight, Left (good) side
IMG_5052.jpg2014 - Tonight, Aerial
IMG_5048.jpg2014 Tonight, Aerial different lighting
IMG_2527.jpg Early 2014
IMG_0385.jpg Early 2013
IMG_3142.jpg Mid 2014

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's NW2 correct?
You seem to have a small forhead so it still looks good.
Only way you going to actually keep your buddy is get on propecia or an alternative.

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Creativename, the good news is you still have a great deal of hair and a good hairline - it might have receded slightly in the corners but guaranteed nobody else would notice it.

The thinning towards the back and what you say about drug use is interesting. I wanted to start a thread about this as I had my own struggles with drug use and definitely, DEFINITELY noticed my hair becoming far thinner over time, not in any norwood pattern but basically everywhere, sides and all. They felt super silky, almost imperceptible to touch. When I went clean they slowly thickened up again, over time. Of course, my male pattern baldness was happening separately to that.

I do think what you have is the onset of male pattern baldness, but you seem to have caught it early. If I were you I would rule out thoughts of a hair transplant for most of your twenties and look at treatment options. Obviously propecia/finasteride is the big one, so do your research and really weigh up the decision to take it or not. Finasteride is a lifetime commitment, and only you can decide whether the risk of sides is worth the benefit of keeping your hair. Educate yourself on the potential side effects, first, and then examine how prevalent these side effects are. I don't doubt that there is potential for bad sides, but I and countless others take finasteride with zero to minimal side effects that are easily managed. But regardless, this is a very personal and serious decision so don't take it lightly.

Good that you're using minoxidil already. I started first with rogaine for ages and noticed ZERO difference. None. Then I introduced finasteride and slowly but surely things have gotten better. There is good evidence that Finasteride and minoxidil work better together. Biotin is good for having healthier hair (in theory) but it doesn't do much to combat male pattern baldness like the other two. But taking it isn't harmful. You should also look to include a ketoconazole shampoo, 1-2% strength, once or twice a week. This helps to keep the scalp clean.

Anyway, your hair still looks really good. Good luck!

Creativename

Reaction score
That's NW2 correct?
You seem to have a small forhead so it still looks good.
Only way you going to actually keep your buddy is get on propecia or an alternative.

Im guessing its a norwood two but Ive never really been told.. Feels like a 3 sometimes feels like a two other times...

- - - Updated - - -

First off, thanks a lot for taking the time to write that. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I think at the end of the day for all of us balding dudes, the importance is 80% in our heads.

As far as starting with propecia or finasteride, I have decided after doing a sort of cost benefit analysis that it was not for me..

I am going to wait and pray along with everyone else that auto cloning is near and soon to be available.

I also have been told by veteran doctor/surgeon that I know that a new anti hairloss drug that targets the cell in the hair folicles is in production and will be releeased in the next two years.. Fingers crossed that it is something worth while.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've read about that, lets pray that that drug actually does come in 2 years...hopefully not too late...
God I see gradual recession **** me it hurts.

resu

Reaction score
Im guessing its a norwood two but Ive never really been told.. Feels like a 3 sometimes feels like a two other times...

- - - Updated - - -

First off, thanks a lot for taking the time to write that. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I think at the end of the day for all of us balding dudes, the importance is 80% in our heads.

As far as starting with propecia or finasteride, I have decided after doing a sort of cost benefit analysis that it was not for me..

I am going to wait and pray along with everyone else that auto cloning is near and soon to be available.

I also have been told by veteran doctor/surgeon that I know that a new anti hairloss drug that targets the cell in the hair folicles is in production and will be releeased in the next two years.. Fingers crossed that it is something worth while.

It's Cosmo CB 01 03, I'm waiting for it as well, I figure I can wait 2 or 3 more years.

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi CreativeName, no worries, like I said finasteride should always be a personal decision. You could look into natural alternatives, for example I know of more experienced people who have switched/alternated between finasteride and nettle root and claimed it has had the same or similar effect, although I don't know whether that will invite the same sort of sides.

Best of luck!