Life with/without/with/without head of nice hair

Dr.James

Reaction score
I had so much hair on my head at 16 that people would ask me if I was wearing a wig. I would laugh and say no.

By the time I was 19 I knew something was up. I was pushing my hair around to try and get the front to look right. At 21 it was all over. I had male pattern baldness and nothing could be done for it. My family was not one of means financially.

I think the cure of the day at the local clinic was --> Wood tar and Panama wood <-- ridiculous try to glue hair.

I was a well above average looking guy, tall, fit and constantly on the move. I no longer recognized the person in the mirror though. There was no choice but to start wearing hats. That was it in a nutshell for the next 9 yrs of my life.

I never tried to date much due to the aggravation of the hair loss. It looked like **** and felt worse.

I joined the Military for the Gulf War. I especially liked the save the head day at boot camp. We were all back on a level playing field. The Military liked shaved heads too. I was in the Military for nearly 10 yrs and enjoyed all the comrade-re of the corps.

I exited Military life in my late 30s and decided to let my hair grow back in. It still looked like **** and i started wearing hats. (I knew the drugs were just market gimmicks) The few guys I knew that got results of any kind had lots of side effects. (Not for me)

I was now in the corporate world and needed to compete at every level.

I finally made an appointment with Apollo Hair.

The day I went in to take a look at the Toupee, I was greeted by some very attractive women. They did this at the time to build a man's ego. I was way to smart for that to work on me. It only irritated me.

I was sitting in the chair awaiting my stylist. The lady comes in with the rat and puts in on my head. I almost busted out laughing when I saw that thing on my head. I told her, "Get that off of me, it looks absurd!". I got up and went out the door. I was getting in the car and a woman came after me pleading to give it another chance. The woman explained to me that there were better Toupees than the one I saw.

I headed back into the clinic and talked with her for a couple hrs. We thinned out some Toupees and color matched some others. I was able to find something that looked pretty good. I took the plunge and became a wearer.

The next day at work I just went about my business as usual. A few folks commented that I looked different. I told them, "I have been working out".

I confided in my closet associates to give me harshest criticisms because I didn't think I would keep the look anyway. They all liked it to a person.

A good to average Toupee is a fair solution. Don't wrap your heart around it. It should be maintained and takes about twice as much work as regular hair maintenance. If you let it go for two months, it will look ragged.

You will be reattaching once a week on average. You will use alcohol to remove and clean 1 inch wide area of perimeter. You will then attach new adhesive strips and replace on the head. Next you style and go about your business. If you swim in it, be ready to reattach that night. Fresh reattachment can handle max winds and working out hard. Be ready to reattach in 3 day intervals if you do that stuff.

Toupees are the best solution. Try not to get to wrapped up in them or be thin skinned about it. It doesn't really matter but to you and your partner. Keep it looking nice and get on with life. (Try to find an unbiased critic you can rely on at first)

Consider this like a piece of your wardrobe and things will be fine.

I am in my middle 50s now and still look great, however; I no longer wear. I spend my days on my Ranch with my wife. I find not having hair on top keeps my head cooler.

Good luck Gentlemen