liquid spironolactone and water...wierd!

ugh

Established Member
Reaction score
I was bored and put some liquid spironolactone in a small cup and then put some water in it...the two are highly reactive! I'm no chemist but I'd like to know what is happening here. The mixtures swirled around angrily and then there were clumps of sticky residue all over the place. It reminds me of when you jizz in water and it gets all clumpy. It looks like the residue is super concentated spironolactone, it smells strongly. Anyone know?

CCS

Reaction score
thanks for the observation. that is very annoying. i don't know why it would react with water. I put spironolactone in my shampoo, and did not notice a reaction, but maybe the nizoral smell covered it up.

I had a similar odd experience. I put grapeseed extract in hot water. Got it hot by microwaving, with the GSE in there. Then I poured a little everclear in there. To my amazement, the solution turned white. My guess is the alcohol dissolved in the water, and then all started evaporating at once, causing tiny bubles all through the liquid. That or alcohol and water just are not evenly mixed at higher temperatures. I'll know when I look at it later today and see if it is still cloudy.