lmedm's Story - (3.5 MONTH UPDATE with PICS!)

lmedm

Reaction score
Hi, I'm 26. I just started thinking about doing something about my hair thinning problem. If I lose my hair my heart is going to sink to the ground and stick. I wanted to get some advice and direction possibly. I think it started when I was around 20 years old. At the same time I don't think that it's gotten too much worse since age 21. If I look at pictures from when I was 18 though to 21 I can definitely notice a difference.
I have a doctor's appointment on April 24th where I'm going to ask for Propecia or the generic, whatever is cheaper. I'm about to go pick up some nazoril shampoo and order some rogaine foam. I've had a consultation at MHR and I'm still not sure how I feel about that.
Here are some pics...

current top, this is how I wear my hair (really the only way I can now):

current top, pushed forward to show temple/top balding (how I will never wear my hair lol):

back of head:

shot to kind of compare the 20-21year old shots:

To be honest, I've never really thought about my hair and losing it until now. I've only recieved a few comments from one guy at work about my receding hair line. I didn't care at the time and shrugged it off as a "dude most guys lose their hair are you kidding me?". But now I'm starting to care a little and don't really want to go thinner or even bald when I'm older.

Here are the best pics I could come up with from when I was 20-21 years old...

20-21 years old, hair thinning, temples receding:

you can definitely see the thinning and my receding at the temples there. I'm not really sure how much worse it has gotten, but I definitely think that I have thinned a little since then, and receded a little more. I'm not really sure how much though.

another 20-21 yrs old shot:

After doing some research here I'm going to go on Rogaine, Propecia, and use Nizoral once every 3 days. Unless someone convinces me to do differently. The only product I'm not sure about is the Rogaine. It's labeled for only the vertex? Do I need it? Will it help my case based on my pictures?

Also, there's so much talk here about the "big 3"... what about the laser comb? The guy on the dateline 12 month study regained hair with it. I've heard surprisingly good things about it. Why hasn't that been added to the big 3 to make a big 4?

Another question I have is what about Saw Palmetto? Does it need to be the Extract? I've read that it's not smart to take this along with Propecia? I understand that it's probably not needed anyway if you're taking Propecia since the Propecia is probably doing its full job and Saw Palmetto may not even be doing anything.

I've done some shopping around and I'm surprised by how cheap I could manage to make a year of the big 3 cost. I can get a years supply of Propecia here by ordering a 90 pill suply of the 5mg for $78 total, and cutting each pill into 4 pieces.

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/hair-loss/fincar.html

Is this shop legit? Have others here ordered from here? I'd much rather order it from here for $78 for a year (wow that's amazingly cheap) instead of $70 a month or whatever it costs if I get a prescription from my doctor.

6 months of minoxidil for $25...

http://www.amazon.com/Minoxidil-5%25-Ex ... _sim_hpc_3

I feel like the rogaine foam will be a lot easier to apply. Is this true? Does the foam look a lot better?

And the nizoral shampoo is like $12 for a 7 ounce bottle at the local target.

If I can go this route it's like what, $150-175 tops for a year of this? Not bad, not bad at all....

I guess I'm just looking for some input here...

Oh, and I had a consultation at MHR for hair transplant surgery. Well, I don't like the idea of having a long scar on the back of my head. I've seen some horror stories with those scars. I've also seen the dateline 12 month study and how that guy made out very well. The salesman at MHR had it done and showed me the scar on the back of his head and all his before pics. His hair looked amazing for what he had before, which was a bit similar to what I'm developing. However, that costs $8,000-$11,000, it might not work, and I have a permanent scar on the back of my head that could cause problems. I'm not particularly sold. I don't really see it as a $10,000 problem since I haven't even tried propecia/rogaine/nizoral yet.

I'd like to try these 3 things for a year and see what happens. I might even buy a laser comb and try a big 4, would like some advice : ).

Thanks : ). And remember, my wonderful mother was nice enough to tell me it really isn't that big a deal and to be honest, it's a lot lot worse in your mind that it is in others. No matter how small or large your loss may be. Male balding is so common that it really doesn't matter. I can't think of a single person that I've met in my life where I've thought less of them, thought they looked horrible, etc... because they were balding/thinning... a few of my friends are completely bald, few half gone, some have full heads of hair... it doesn't affect anything they do in life. But on that note, I want to stop the loss here and keep what I have at least : ).

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
Re: 26, losing hair/thinning, need advice...

good choice going on big 3

i have the lazer comb and i dont really think its that effective but who knows i only used it for like a month and gave up because of everything i read about it on this site

i think its better to stick with tried and true hair loss remedies

good luck with your treatments

Petchsky

Reaction score

Big 3 for at least a year before even considering a transplant. Plus i'd do much more research on H/T's if I were you, MHR are not exactly the best in town.

Your pattern of loss is very similar to mine, only you have a better crown. I'm sure the big 3 will give you some good results, all the best.

lmedm

Reaction score

Thanks for the quick replies, and helpful information.

I have some serious questions about Rogaine. Will it be useful for my situation? I have hair on my vertex, and the label only states that it's for the vertex. Has it been proven to be useful for the top and temples? And if I do get the rogaine, should I put it on my entire head as well, as in the entire top and vertex?

What about that cheap inhouse pharmacy finasteride? Reliable, legit?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
Re: lmedm's Story -(26, losing hair/thinning, need advice...)

if i were in your situation i would use the minoxidil liquid all over top of head at night maybe 2ml

as you will find out that will make your hair look greasy for approx 4 hours

i like using the foam during the day because it dries very quick and doesn't make you look like a grease ball

you may want to look into it

lmedm

Reaction score

I got the foam today and tried it out. It's pretty easy to use and doesn't really affect the look of your hair.

I just ordered a years supply of finasteride. from in house and bought the nizoral shampoo.

I have no idea if I'm going to shed or not? How bad does that get? If I do shed will I thin out a lot? It sounds kind of scary.... I don't want to look thinner lol. . .

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

some shed some don't

i don't think i ever endured a shed

sheds shouldn't be considered bad though

those hairs would have fallen out anyway

some people shed early on finasteride and usually have good results

cheers mate

lmedm

Reaction score

If I did shed how bad would it get?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

i have no idea

but sheds can happen

you need to take in account that "sheds" are more than 100 hairs a day

you need to look at the hair on your head and not the hair in your hands while your shampooing you hair

your better off using these treatments than not using them

sheds may be short term losses
but long term gains

also remember that recovering from hair loss can take up to a year or more so be PATIENT!

look at strangekarma success story he was similar to you

think about it

lmedm

Reaction score

ok cool. worse comes to worse i'll just wear a baseball cap if I ever end up shedding profusely. I'm having a bit of trouble with the rogaine here.

I've got no problem putting the rogaine foam on the front of my head, as in the temples which are bare (easy) and the front. However, I still have a lot of hair near the crown and on the back top so there's no way to get to the scalp. It's kind of like I'm just putting it in my hair back there.

Do I even need to apply the rogaine to the back top and back vertex of my head?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

your crown looks pretty good

but if you are already using minoxidil you might as well put a little on the crown swirl

it wouldn't hurt

cheers mate

lmedm

Reaction score

3 1/2 month update here....

Sometimes the rogaine only goes on once a day, taking propecia every day and use the nizoral shampoo once every 3 days for about 5 minutes.

hair1u.jpg

hair2h.jpg

hair23.jpg

hair4m.jpg

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: lmedm's Story - 3.5 MONTH UPDATE

Definitely seems to be improving.
It's only gonna get better from here :)

fluffy123

Established Member
Reaction score

An improvement mate, don't be surprised if you have a dip though. I experienced something similar by month 3/4 and then had a dip in terms of shedding. I'm near the end of month 7 now though, buzzed my hair down and it's gradually coming back again. Just keep doing what you're doing and good luck :)

lmedm

Reaction score

rheinblick03 said:
you have red hair all over your body? i heard red hair is hardest to grow back.

LOL, what? Are you serious or just f*****g with me? Ha, if that's true that's funny. Yea, I have red, blonde, and orange hair all over my body. I am proud to be a ginger.

Actually I'm quite surprised by the results I'm having so far. If you look at the pic from the top down from 3.5 months ago and the one now... my hair is pushed forward in the same way. I definitely notice a lot more hair or top when looking in the mirror. I'm still skeptical about my receeding and lost hair line though, mostly on the from sides. I'm not sure if I'll ever get my high school hair line back. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm definitely happy with the results and hope it'll get even better. The fullness on top now is pretty amazing. It's way thicker and fuller than it was before.

lmedm

Reaction score

I've already had a bit of shedding too. About 2 months ago I was waking up with a lot of hair on my pillow. It was definitely noticeable, I even had a few comments about my hair line thinning even more. I think in the past month it's taken a complete reversal and grown back. I was getting pretty sick of putting rogaine in but now that I'm seeing results here I want to put the stuff in 4 times a day lol.

A definite thanks to everyone on these forums for the info. on the big 3. I can't wait to see what I've got back after a year.