Longest dutasteride users

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
So I have just reached 11 years on dutasteride, any other long term users about?
Any sides with dutasteride? Do you still think its better than finasteride?

bekims cousin

Reaction score
Any sides with dutasteride? Do you still think its better than finasteride?

For me it is better, tried finasteride for a year but did not get much progress.

I had some side effects in the beginning, they all went in a month. I don't remember anything bad, it was mostly mood changes.

How's your treatments going?

- - - Updated - - -

Global was another long term user back in the day.

I think he started before me..........

- - - Updated - - -

dutasteride seems to have fallen out of favour, it was never as popular as finasteride but was seen as one of the more hardcore alternatives........

kuca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What was your norwood when you started dutasteride and what is it now?
Did dutasteride mantain all your hair?
And how old were you when you started using it? :D

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
For me it is better, tried finasteride for a year but did not get much progress.

I had some side effects in the beginning, they all went in a month. I don't remember anything bad, it was mostly mood changes.

How's your treatments going?

- - - Updated - - -

Global was another long term user back in the day.

I think he started before me..........

- - - Updated - - -

dutasteride seems to have fallen out of favour, it was never as popular as finasteride but was seen as one of the more hardcore alternatives........
My treatments are helping me slowly maintain. I have slowly lost ground over the past 10 years but not enough for anyone but me to notice. It only bothers me when I see men older than me with absolutely no hair loss and thick dense hair. However, when I see some of the cases on here, I realize how lucky I am.

bekims cousin

Reaction score
My treatments are helping me slowly maintain. I have slowly lost ground over the past 10 years but not enough for anyone but me to notice. It only bothers me when I see men older than me with absolutely no hair loss and thick dense hair. However, when I see some of the cases on here, I realize how lucky I am.

It really does not bother me, about other men's hair but I understand.

Yeah being on dutasteride this long, makes me wonder about how much longer I can do this for.

- - - Updated - - -

What was your norwood when you started dutasteride and what is it now?
Did dutasteride mantain all your hair?
And how old were you when you started using it? :D

NW2 and held a NW2 for 11 years, started dutasteride at 28, now nearly 40.......

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a dutasteride-User, though I currently haven't been on the medication for the longterm like you have bekims cousin. I have been taking 0.5 mg of Dutasteride daily since December 28th, 2014. I currently have not missed a single dose since I started Dutasteride. I take legitimate Avodart with a prescription under the supervision of my GP.

I have aggressive Male Pattern Baldness and extremely prone to having a badly inflamed scalp, which is why I went straight to Dutasteride. I never gave Finasteride a try since I was afraid it would fail me and then suffer from severe hair loss. After being on Dutasteride for almost half a year now, I can tell how powerful the 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors actually are with them having a good safety profile. The Dutasteride is so strong, it is almost as if I don't have male pattern baldness, and the extreme scalp inflammation I was suffering from subsided. At this point, I've been thinking that I could have done well with Finasteride.

I've experienced absolutely no side effects from Dutasteride whatsoever.

bekims cousin

Reaction score
I'm a dutasteride-User, though I currently haven't been on the medication for the longterm like you have bekims cousin. I have been taking 0.5 mg of Dutasteride daily since December 28th, 2014. I currently have not missed a single dose since I started Dutasteride. I take legitimate Avodart with a prescription under the supervision of my GP.

I have aggressive Male Pattern Baldness and extremely prone to having a badly inflamed scalp, which is why I went straight to Dutasteride. I never gave Finasteride a try since I was afraid it would fail me and then suffer from severe hair loss. After being on Dutasteride for almost half a year now, I can tell how powerful the 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors actually are with them having a good safety profile. The Dutasteride is so strong, it is almost as if I don't have male pattern baldness, and the extreme scalp inflammation I was suffering from subsided. At this point, I've been thinking that I could have done well with Finasteride.

Could have done well on finasteride, maybe, you are doing well on dutasteride, so keep it up.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score

I miss doses all the time, probably around once every week or two, it does not matter much due to the nature of the drug

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering switching to dutasteride after almost 2 years on finasteride and minoxidil. finasteride and minoxidil are still working, but I would like to increase density a little more and maybe recover my temples a little more. I'm not sure if dutasteride would make much of a difference at this stage, is it worth a try?
I've also seen people say that it's best to hold off on dutasteride until finasteride stops working so you have something to fall back on, that when finasteride fails, dutasteride will buy some more time, and that switching to dutasteride sooner means greater upregulation so that long term you have less time.
Any truth in this? Of course if it buys another 10 years, who knows? Could be a cure by then...

Abu Hairy Al-Forhedi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Your GP prescribed you dutasteride for male pattern baldness? correct me if I'm wrong, but dutasteride isnt FDA approved for male pattern baldness. I didnt know they can do that. How can you be so certain you have no sides, taking into consideration all other medical issues you are dealing with??... no offense.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I miss doses all the time, probably around once every week or two, it does not matter much due to the nature of the drug

Yes, it wouldn't matter much to miss a dosage of Dutasteride once every week or two since it has a half-life of five weeks.

Your GP prescribed you dutasteride for male pattern baldness? correct me if I'm wrong, but dutasteride isnt FDA approved for male pattern baldness. I didnt know they can do that. How can you be so certain you have no sides, taking into consideration all other medical issues you are dealing with??... no offense.

Yes, my GP prescribed me Dutasteride for my male pattern baldness. I actually talked to them that they could have prescribed Finasteride if they were more comfortable and better with it, though I did say I would prefer it if Dutasteride was prescribed. They thought it over and decided to prescribe me Dutasteride since my male pattern baldness is very aggressive and my hair loss was starting to get bad.

Both Dutasteride and Finasteride are so similar towards the way they function and how the nature of both of them are, there isn't a lot of differences on how they work. GP's that know about male pattern baldness and the treatments should usually know about Dutasteride. Even though Dutasteride isn't FDA approved for male pattern baldness and BPH only, people who know about the medication should be well aware that it's an excellent treatment to use off-label for hereditary hair loss. Again, Dutasteride and Finasteride are so similar, there aren't many differences.

How can I be certain that I've had no side effects? Because I haven't had any, that's why. :p All my other medical issues do not have anything to do with my male pattern baldness and Dutasteride has nothing to do with them either.

By the way, my GP who prescribed me Dutasteride is Norwood 1. :freaked:

Last edited:

Frontal loser

Reaction score
Has anyone had success with dutas on the hairline? I only have hairline recession. I started dutas 0.5 Eod around 4 1/2 months ago. Since I started I have only seen my recession speed up. Trying to hold out cause I read that is how the process works. But I haven't really seen too many people say they receeded then it came back. I'm willing to stay on it for a full year to 18 months. Has anyone seen this process come to fruition? Or should I jump ship and try to save what hasn't shed? I have considered switching to propecia, maybe I'd be a better receptor to that med or could benefit from lower levels of scalp test? I have upped my Nizoral usage to a daily 5 min soak and have added spironolactone S5 cream nightly here recently to combat the excess scalp test. Any success or failure stories/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Phillyfry

My Regimen
Reaction score
It really does not bother me, about other men's hair but I understand.

Yeah being on dutasteride this long, makes me wonder about how much longer I can do this for.

- - - Updated - - -

NW2 and held a NW2 for 11 years, started dutasteride at 28, now nearly 40.......
What was your dosage bro?