Longgone's Story - (Too late?)

longgone

Reaction score
I'm new here, and I'll get to my hair loss story. But for now I'm curious if you guys think it's too late for me to bother with a regimen (I have yet to take any action with regard to my hair loss). At 28 years old, losing hair since 22, I think I'm pretty much at the start-shaving phase.

Attachments

• head.jpg
    head.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 178

longgone

Reaction score
Re: Too late?

And by the, reading through this forum makes me think that I have essentially 3 options: (1) shave it and move on; (2) shave it but start the big 3 and see what it looks like in 6-12 mos.; (3) start the big and use toppik (or some equivalent) daily to conceal.

Does that about sum it up?

Petchsky

Reaction score

Yes, I'd say you pretty much narrowed it down there.

Personally, I'd go with option 2...that way topicals easier to apply, and if you shed you won't notice it, basically, it will be less stressful.

You could get some decent regrowth, even if it's moderate growth, you will have more hair for toppik/nanaogen/dermatch to stick too, and you can have the appearance of hair for some more years.

I'd go for it, you don't have much to lose, and as you're still young, you stand a good chance imo.

longgone

Reaction score

thanks, that's what I'm leaning towards. My real frustration is the fact that I've waited this long. I wasn't in denial about hair loss, but I think perhaps I was in denial about how much it would bother me when I got to this point. Oh well, this seems like a common psychological occurrence around here.

longgone

Reaction score

And what is more, I really had no idea that finasteride could be so effective until I read this board. I really believed that unless you had strictly crown-area thinning then there was simply nothing that could be done.

longgone

Reaction score
OH MY GOD. I experienced some finasteride sides and called my Doctor with questions, and he didn't even know how finasteride worked!!! I had to explain to him how the finasteride inhibits the enzyme that allows testosterone to convert to DHT!! He was like, "well, you got me." All this, "talk to your doctor, trust your doctor" stuff is ridiculous. All he could do for me was read the Merck printout that I've already read 7 times online.

Anyway, I'm done with finasteride forever. I didn't even take it a month, but I'm afraid that I've permanently harmed myself, and that my body will never produce the proper amount of DHT again. This is ridiculous, I hate myself for considering an option that would involve manipulating my hormones. Hair is not worth the risk, not even close.

longgone

Reaction score
He also criticized me for even thinking that my persistent ball ache could be caused by Propecia. So basically he knew absolutely nothing about it other than it's FDA approved. I really don't know how all you long-timers can maintain the peace of mind for so long to keep taking this drug. I would give anything to go back 20 days and talk some sense into myself.

longgone

Reaction score
Compared to sexual dysfunction I could not possibly care less about hair. I just wish it didn't take this experience to realize it. And I do realize that I will most likely go back to how I was prior to finasteride (once the drug is no longer inhibiting DHT production, which, according to my genius doctor is likely to happen to with a few days), but I will be much happier when that actually happens. I'm also thankful that I came to this realization in a relatively short time; I can't imagine having second thoughts after a year or more.

I guess a possible upside is that I've learned to put hair loss in perspective. If I am able to safely come off of finasteride I will never again complain about my hair loss. In fact, I'm looking forward to shaving my head already. It's amazing how easily we can take our health for granted.

longgone

Reaction score
And frankly, the only thing I'm taking solace in now are the repeated statements by Dr Rassman and Dr Bernstein (two people who have a ton of experience with this stuff) that, in their own clinical experience, they have never seen a patient with permanent side effects. I fully believe that it happens, but their observations help show how rare it is. Certainly not worth ANY risk IMO, but their writing has helped me feel like less of an idiot for taking the drug in the first place, and less frightened as I sit here with 3 weeks of diminished DHT.

longgone

Reaction score
Thanks Monty, it's great how people on this board understand that, whether stressing about hair or sides, a little encouragement and rational thinking can go a long way.

cuebald

Reaction score

longgone

Reaction score
Thanks, I've been and introduced myself over there too. I just wish I didnt have to try finasteride for a few weeks before I came to share their perspective. Btw, I'm not naive about how the mind works. I know that if in a few weeks I'm completely healthy and and have no post-finasteride problems, I'll start stressing about hair again. But this thread will hopefully remind me of how much I do NOT want to go the medication route.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Once I complained of sides to my dad[he knows much more than these so called professionals],he strongly advised me to stop the drug as he felt I was only making things worse with a drug that could not only affect your sexual health but also your mental well being in the long run.

I spoke to my shrink about this and he felt the same too.Anyway I feel Finasteride is a nasty drug to individuals who are prone to side effects.I am not arguing about the drug's ability to fight male pattern baldness,without a doubt its the best option out there for hairloss provided you are willing to take the risk of side effects.I thought I wouldn't suffer from any sides[misled by Merck's study] but it only took a little while for them to get noticeable.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
longgone said:
And did they go away when you stopped taking the drug?

Yes I seem to be on the road to recovering completely \m/.I think my muscles feel a lot harder including my little friend,I feel a bit more manly and my hair isn't doing too bad either as I have upped my minoxidil dosage to twice daily.

My sides were basically funny feeling around the nipples,ball aches,rapid decrease in muscle rigidity including that of the penis,no wet dreams for nearly 5 months and when I stopped the drug I had this really sensitive sort of feeling on the tip of my penis which took about 10 days to fade away.Also I was able to acheive erections but they felt a lot softer but this improved pretty soon after I stopped taking the pill.

I started taking the pill believing I will be fine and all the internet talk is pure BS but I learnt it the hard way that guys who complain of sides are just as genuine as guys who report success with finasteride.

longgone

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Obviously, there are many divergent views on this board about finasteride; I know, for example, that cuebald is a fan of the drug while mpbsux obviously is not. As I stated in my thread on the side effects thread, I'm now off the drug for 4 days and I'm going to approach this with all the rationality that I can. I know this is the time when some things have gone wrong for some people, but I know that such an outcome is statistically very rare. Nonetheless, I look forward to the days when all I am worried about is my hair.

mann02

Established Member
Reaction score
monty1978 said:
It sounds like you are gonna be fine either way.

You don't look bad for it so wtf hey!

Peace

Monty you've used miconazole before ryt?is it working?