Look what I got for my 31st Birthday!

FelloniousMonk

Reaction score
Look what I got for my 31st Birthday! (Telogen Effluvium?)

Greetings everyone.

For most of my adult life, I've kept my hair pretty long. At one point it was at my shoulders. Also, for much of that time, I parted it the middle, against my natural part which I believe to be on the left. Having my hair long for much of that time, I think I probably treated it pretty harshly. I'd vigorously shampoo everyday. No Conditioner. Brushing through tangles roughly, etc. I would say that I've always been a little paranoid about too much scalp being visible in the bathroom light but I convinced myself that it was just paranoya or I'd look at someone on the train and say "his scalp's visable and he looks fine. I'm overreacting." I was never really all that conscious of any hair I was losing throughout the day or after showers. A couple months ago is when I really started to seriously suspect actual thinning but still held off on any course of action.

I just turned 31 last month and before visiting my family on the East Coast, I decided to cut my hair short as a surprise. It was definitely surprising. My hairline seems to be in the same place but I definitely believe there's some thinning on the top. Immediately, I bought the lipogaine brand of %5 strength minoxidil and Regenepure DR shampoo to immediately start treatment. The regenepure feels great but I have some serious reservations about the lipogaine/minoxidil as it left my hair dry and course during the week I used it. I was careful to rub it into my scalp but it still gets everywhere. My primary reservations are the side-effects I read about and the reports that your restored hair becomes completely dependent on it for maintenance. It struck me as a thermo-nuclear counter-measure when maybe it wasn't called for just yet. Right now, I'd like to continue on the Regenepure and perhaps start taking daily biotin or DHT blocking supplement. I'm hoping that this damage is a reversible result of abuse but I'd love some honesty. I'd be seriously grateful for opinions about all this.
Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 223

FelloniousMonk

Reaction score
That seems like another nuclear counter measure. I haven't yet consulted with a doctor which is really the very first thing I should've done. I'm actually very curious about Telogen Effluvium and if my hair thinning is reflective of direct cause that needs to be addressed. In a lot of what I've read online mentions stress and changes in health and diet as triggers. Last year started with an emergency appendectomy. I was laid off from my job, which I had been at for 5 years. I had a very close family member pass away. I lost about 55 lbs, though that was an intentional of trying to eat better and exercise. I'd very much appreciate hearing if anyone here has experienced a similar form of hair-loss or could offer any insights.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not a nuclear counter measure. It is the most fundamentally important hair loss treatment, and the only treatment that is both clinically proven and FDA approved for preventing the cause of hair loss. Long and short of it is, if you want to keep the hair you have, take finasteride. If you don't mind going bald, then don't take finasteride. Without finasteride, your chances of keeping the hair you have are almost non existent.

BigTexasSexy

Established Member
Reaction score
Could not agree more with GoldenMane. After 3 months on finasteride, my hairloss has almost completely reached a halt. The sooner the better!