Looking for advice on how to assess my hair and treatments

nicefella

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
hair transplant
Hope this post finds you all well :) Well, I've been a visitor to this forum for a while but I after about 8 months, I think it is time for me to write about my own hair. Here is my situation. I have always been worried about losing my hair (since 15) and only recently has it come to my attention again. The reason why I was afraid is because both my uncles from my mothers side are NW4.5 and my grandfather is a NW6. My great grandfather was also pretty much a NW7 at age 96. My father (age 55) experienced MBP but not a receding hairline. He simply lost a lot of density and 10 years ago had a hair transplant and is still going strong. He didn't even use finasteride/Min/nizoral.

Now here is situation and why I think I am slowly balding (maybe paranoia but I thought I discuss this on this fine website)

- I am 21 years old

- I never really *shed* until a year ago where I could easily pull hairs out of my head ... it seems like the hairs were already dislodged :/ However I do not think I lose more than 60 hairs a day which people seem to say is *normal*

- My head is quite itchy the day after I shampoo (although it is mostly itchy in the back)

- the hairs that do come out always vary in size/thickness and even color

- My hair gets oily extremely quick (although its always been like this...I remember shampooing everyday when I was in Junior High due to this)

- I have always had a large forehead and while it looks normal and good, I feel as though any larger wouldn't be a good sign

I am originally from Turkey and when I was back home a few weeks ago, my dads best friend, who is a dermatologist, examined me. He told me everything is fine and I don't look like I'm receding or balding. He even said shedding hairs doesn't matter as long as the hairs regrow. My mother for example sheds 10X more than me but she obviously has more hair than me. He told me if I was really paranoid I can take finasteride (he even gave me a 6 month supply of Finpecia {India's finasteride}). He seemed to think that finasteride is perfectly safe and that the side effects are blown out of proportion. Although he wasn't balding, he said many of his friends have used it for years with no problem and excellent results.

Well, to be honest I am really paranoid so I thought I make a post and get a second opinion from people. I have uploaded pictures of my hair when it was very oily (no wash for 2 days). Maybe I can get a second opinion?

Every couple of days I scrub my hair with Olive Oil as I have heard that it helps with inflammation of the scalp.

Oh also, I weight lift a lot (no supplements) and am extremely healthy. By just looking at my you wouldn't think that I even thought about my hair. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid :/

Thanks I know its a very long post but I'd really appreciate any comments.

Thanks its much appreciated!!

In all of the pictures my hair is very oily (no wash for 2 days) except the last picture where I washed my hair 12 hours earlier and was taken as I write this post :) Oh also, in the 5th picture, the red spot is because I bumped my head onto something so don't worry :)

IMG_20130401_163103.jpgIMG_20130606_143229.jpgIMG_20130606_143601.jpgIMG_20130606_214718.jpgIMG_20130606_214838.jpgIMG_20130606_214855.jpgIMG_20130606_143722.jpgIMG_20130723_085117.jpg

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
I think your hair looks very thick! Hair line looks like it is thinning a little. If you are worried about it progressing try low doses of propecia or even order the S5 cream off this website. The S5 cream has helped me thicken those thinning hairs. I'm going to get on low doses of propecia later this month. If you want, you can take a look up my thread. I'll be updating it when I get my order of propecia. Good luck, and stop it while its early!

nicefella

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for the reply :)

Yea I was thinking about a low dose of finasteride too. You think 0.5 mg every day would be okay to keep things at bay? Along with nizoral 1% ?

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
Well my goal is, first month .25 mg two days on and one day off. After that, .25 mg every day up to 6 months and assess my hair situation possibly increase to .5 mg everyday depending on how hair looks. I think you should try something similar.