Looking for any help, advice, recommendations.

hairwhereRU

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am 29 years old. Like many of you I started losing my hair at a very young age. I'm severely emotionally affected by this.
I finally have a little bit of savings and I'm hoping to be able to do something about my hair. I've tried the bald-look and it doesnt suit my head or thin frame. I tried finasteride a few years back and the side effects I experienced scared me so I stopped. Photos are of me at this present time.

My current regimen is:

Minoxidil 5% twice a day (currently at 2 months). I have noticed some small hairs growing in the front V area, and I think Im starting to shed little hair bulbs when I shower.
Nizoral 1% : Only one available in stores. Ive only been using this about a month.
Dermarolling 1.5mm : I do this a few times a week, not extreme pressure, just enough to redden the scalp. I apply minoxidil afterwards.
Supplementing with multivitamin and fish oil.

My thoughts are that if a transplant is viable, I would like to look into FUE or Neograft (if this is a good choice). I dont think I want a FUT scar in case I need to shave my hair in the future. What kind of graft numbers would be realistic in my case. I would like to have decent coverage all over. and restore my hairline a bit.
If a transplant is not a good idea for me, I'd like to hear that as well. I don't mind the harsh facts I'd just like to avoid false hope and deluding myself. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• frontview.JPG
    frontview.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 200
  • topview.jpg
    topview.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 213
  • backview.JPG
    backview.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 204

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would honestly not bother with treatment using medicines if you cant use an AA, you are too far gone and it will only produce mediocre short term results, you are going to lose the rest of it anyway. Hair transplant is an option but realistically you could only get coverage on your mid scalp and look like a nw3 or maybe even a nw2 from the front but you would have to leave crown bald. Another option would be a high quality hair piece/wig which would probably be the best option but you need to maintain it well and really get a good one

hairwhereRU

Reaction score
I would honestly not bother with treatment using medicines if you cant use an AA, you are too far gone and it will only produce mediocre short term results, you are going to lose the rest of it anyway. Hair transplant is an option but realistically you could only get coverage on your mid scalp and look like a nw3 or maybe even a nw2 from the front but you would have to leave crown bald. Another option would be a high quality hair piece/wig which would probably be the best option but you need to maintain it well and really get a good one

thanks for the input. AA means anti-androgen? I'm not sure of all the lingo. Do you think finasteride would make much of a difference at this point combined with a transplant and the current regimen? To be honest the finasteride i bought was from an overseas pharmacy some years ago, and I probably overreacted to some of the symptoms. I've been looking for a good transplant doctor thats relatively close to eastern PA if anyone has some suggestions.

I will probably end up just shaving my head but I'm trying to avoid it if theres a good alternative. I don't think hair pieces are for me, would be just like wearing a hat and I would be too paranoid about it.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
AA = antiandrogen. Big 3 in combo with a hair transplant could work to give you at least a little hair on top of your head but I would talk to a hair transplant surgeon you are at the borderline of where medication will be a waste of time. I really think a hair piece would be good though, they have some really good ones out there watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNiJH1yBINw

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but I think a transplant without using an AA is almost a was of time. I have heard many write that hair transplanted from the DHT resistant area will last forever, but I have seen many people with thinning in this so called safe area as they get older. Maybe the use of finasteride can help you regain some of what you lost so you wont have to transplant the entire top of your head to get decent coverage.

hairwhereRU

Reaction score
would saw palmetto do anything to fight dht production? I've heard it can act like a somewhat weaker version of finasteride. Ive been thinking about my options and my current financial position might pay for a transplant but if I wouldnt be able to get a decent hairline and good coverage overall I don't think its worth it for me. It would be a dramatic investment for my income. I've been working out to try to boost my appearance a bit, perhaps in time I can rock a bald look im not sure. Gained 25 lbs so far this year.