looking for feedback from someone who had hair replacement

karina

Reaction score
Hi
my son is almost 22 and sems that his hairline is receeding and thinning hair at the top of his head.

i have so many questions, dont know where to start:)

- should he wait until 'all' the intended hair falls out or can he have surgery now
- are results from surgery always guaranteed - and does hair replacmeent really work?
- if anyone has pics would be great...

this is my first attempt to find out informaiton - if you have advise on what questions to ask would be great too - any suggestions are welcome..

thank you
Karina

theanimator

Reaction score
Hi Karina,

My advice would be to go see a Dermatologist for a checkup and to get a prescription for Propecia. Get the 5 mg, and cut it into 1/4's....take 1.25 mg daily. (Costco is the cheapest place to get the drug) For better results he should use Minoxidil (Rogaine) as well.

I would suggest (without knowing much else) he use Propecia for 6-9 months and see how he reacts to it. If his hairloss stops or he starts regrowing hair, then you can look into a Hair Transplant.

The thing is that you want to make sure you've stopped the hairloss before getting Hair Replacement. Otherwise in the coming years you'd end up with a tuff of transplanted hair while all the hair around it has fallen out.

1. He should wait until his hair has stopped falling out before getting a hair transplant.
2. I'm pretty sure there's no money-back guarantee on surgerys. But there are different types of surgerys, FUE and FUS. FUS or Strip Surgery has a greater rate of success....somewhere in the high 90% of all transplanted hairs survive. (This is what I had). But to answer your question...Yes, Hair Replacement really works
3. I have pictures up on my Topic. http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=46020 If you want more graphic ones of right after the surgery, let me know.

do comb in

Reaction score
Hi there

Firstly do lots and lots of research. I have had two previous surgeries in the UK however I will be having my third in Canada. The UK is not known for providing doctors who get the best worldwide results. There results often do not compare with the amount of density hair transplant patients can receive in other countries. IMO. You need to possibly have an on line consultation with a few of these guys. This involves sending some photos of the current hair loss and the doctor will take it from there.

You want one of the top doctors. Nobody else will do. This takes research. The American Hair Loss Association and The Coaltion of Hair Transplant Surgeons will give you a list of recommended surgeons. There will be similar associations in different countries.

Remember also that any opinions shared on a forum are just that. Subjective. So go to the doctors directly.

Propecia and minoxidol do work at halting current hair loss. Get on these asap.

Good luck and remember RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH
:)

s.a.f

Reaction score
Research everything about it, and if you do go ahead make sure that you go to a well respected surgeon. (Dont take their word for it that they're any good) basicly read up on this section and the experiences of this forums users everything you need to know has been covered on here. Like the above poster I'd advise you not to rush into anything as there's only so much a hair transplant can do and your son could be destined to lose all his hair in the coming years. Luckily drugs like finasteride are available and although not fullproof they could help him to keep what he still has if he responds well to them. I take Proscar, I buy 5mg tablets and cut them into 0.75mg daily.

do comb in

Reaction score
Was just thinkin Karina it might help to post which country you are living in.

Just a thought

Best to you

Jason_2009

Reaction score
hair transplant is the last option..
22 is very young for one
do lots of research on alternative treatments be careful of people claiming to have cures
only minoxidil and finasteride are the only 2 proven treatments
Consider a hair peace maybe try out it ..there are some very good ones out there
If you do decide to go down the Hair tranplant path be very carful on who you use to do it
Its not a simple procedure like picking a dentist to pull a tooth out ..reasearch research reasearch who u might pick
Avoid Aramrni/bosely clinics like the wind!

karina

Reaction score
Thank you everyone...

I am in Canada so it is encouraging to know that canadian doctors seem to be in the 'good books... '

TO THEANIMATOR: thank you for the link, it seems the receeding hair line is exaclty what my son has... how long did it take to get to the result shown?

it seems that everyone recommends 'drugs' first - are these prescription or over the counter?

Thank you
K

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil is a safe bet, but only when used with propecia. You dont need a prescription for minoxidil but you do for propecia. Minoxidil if it works will give faster regrowth than propecia (minoxidil 2-4 months, propecia 6-12 months). For some people minoxidil is all you need, you can buy it in some stores or a local pharmacies. However for hairloss as advanced as your sons its definetelly best used in conjunction with propecia. Look into getting some nizoral-anti fungal shampoo aswell as it prevents hairloss at a very small degree. Some guys on this forum refer to this as the Big 3 and its your best defence against hairloss. Furthermore if your son does'nt want to see a doctor for this prescription (propecia) you can order online, but becarefull where you order from. There are alot of fake pills out there on the internet. Like some guys just suggested, if you can get proscar then get it. It is just the same as propecia only cheaper and a little more potent at stopping hairloss. Therefore you can just cut it up into four/five peices and get the same effectiveness as propecia. Lastly hair replacement should be a last resort. Its too expensive and your son is too young for ever lasting results results. Hope this helps

theanimator

Reaction score
I got my hair transplant in Jan. 08. The pictures on the first post show progress up until 4 months later. The pictures at the end of the post show what it looks like after a full year. For me, the hair transplant looked pretty good after 6 months....but it still improved for the whole year.

karina

Reaction score
Thank you everyone.... seems like this is a looooooooong solution no matter what you do...

do comb in

Reaction score
Good luck Karina I hope you and your son take heart from the posters on this forum. I am traveling across the atlantic to go to canada for my next surgery so it looks like you lucked out in terms of location if and when you son goes for a transplant.

The good news is that with medication and good transplant surgery, hair loss no longer needs to be a huge thing to worry about.

I started to lose my hair in my twenties, long before my friends. I am now 36 and have far more hair than any of those guys do now so once again do your research and things will work out fine.

All the very best to you and your son

CCS

Reaction score
karina said:
- should he wait until 'all' the intended hair falls out or can he have surgery now
- are results from surgery always guaranteed - and does hair replacmeent really work?

First see if finasteride stops his hair loss for a full year. Maybe you can reduce that to 6 months if you get great results in 6 months. Some people keep losing hair even on propecia. But everyone loses a lot more if they don't get on it.

Results are not guaranteed. Some doctors will do more transplants if the first session does not grow out. Donor hair is limited, so make sure you get a reputable doctor. Only get micro grafts of 1-2 hairs each. Run the other way if you hear the words mini, slot, plug, flap, or anything else that we don't approve. A good doctor will use very small blades to make precision cuts. Make sure you ask us to look over the Doctor before you go with one.

The hair on top might grow back without surgery. Please post pics of the top of his head. If you get surgery, the thin hair in that area will die.

CCS

Reaction score
do comb in said:
Remember also that any opinions shared on a forum are just that. Subjective. So go to the doctors directly.
I would trust the people on this board more than the doctors who want your business. Just watch out for posters on here who may be lying. You don't know who is behind the screan name, so you got to look at post count and how many major posters say the same thing.

do comb in said:
Propecia and minoxidol do work at halting current hair loss. Get on these asap.
Minoxidil does NOT halt hair loss. Only propecia does. Minoxidil is just good for regrowth. It is like delayed action, realistic toppik.

CCS

Reaction score
Jason_2009 said:
only minoxidil and finasteride are the only 2 proven treatments
Nizoral is proven too.

Jason_2009 said:
Consider a hair peace maybe try out it ..there are some very good ones out there
If you sone can't wait a year for his youth, a hair piece would be a great way to pass the time. They are good now days.

Jason_2009 said:
Avoid Aramrni/bosely clinics like the wind!
There are places far worse than bosely. Bosely is just over priced. They have a big chain of docs, some of whom are good and some are not. Mine could not close a virgin strip without leaving a big scar. But they did the recipient area well, except for the hair angle.