Looking for some help

alex342

Reaction score
Hi im kinda new to this site so Im just looking for a little advice. Im 27 and and looking at a hair transplant surgery. My dads hair is just like mine but thicker so I dont think my hair will get worse. I have also been on finasteride for a year. I was thinking about going to rahal since he has an office in southern california and Ive read a lot of good things about him. My question is about how many grafts i would need and about how much it would cost. I am also looking to get a FUE instead of a strip. Thanks for your help

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

Wylie

Reaction score
You need to be asking specific doctors specific questions for specific answers.

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your situation isnt a million miles away from mine. Think long and hard about it, whilst you obviously dont have a lions mane you still have plenty up there, if your maintaining on finasteride then your loss situation is far from out of the ordinary.
I personally have decided against a hair transplant at this time as basically, people like ours hair isnt really that bad, secondly its a lifetime commitment and thirdly, ive started to realise that its alright to be receding as you go into your 30s. of course, thats just me.

Whilst it would be nice to have more please bare in mind it comes with costs. To begin with you risk losing your native hair to shockloss, secondly you will likely need to top up your hair with further hair transplants own the line. Then you have to decide Fue vs fut as well. You are in a good position now, take your time, seriously think everything over and make an informed decision. However if you do go ahead, rahal is very good. Someone like him would probably recommend 2000-2500 grafts, more or less depending on how aggressive/conservative you want to go, price depends on fue or fut etc but you will pay a large premium for fue, however for your amount of loss, is it worth getting a strip scar?. Either way contact them for a free consult, they are very efficient there and one of the most helpful clinics i was in contact with. also check out the hair restoration network website for further advice and to see lots of results of other drs in your area whom you may like to consult with. all the best

alex342

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone help. I have tried rogaine before for a couple years and it didnt do anything for me. I know I have not lost as much as a lot of people here but since my hair is also thin it adds to the problem. Overall its just something I think about a lot especially since my brother has absolutely perfect hair. I guess I will set up a consultation and see what happens. Thanks again for the help

skotya

Reaction score
Man in Space said:
Your situation isnt a million miles away from mine. Think long and hard about it, whilst you obviously dont have a lions mane you still have plenty up there, if your maintaining on finasteride then your loss situation is far from out of the ordinary.
I personally have decided against a hair transplant at this time as basically, people like ours hair isnt really that bad, secondly its a lifetime commitment and thirdly, ive started to realise that its alright to be receding as you go into your 30s. of course, thats just me.

Whilst it would be nice to have more please bare in mind it comes with costs. To begin with you risk losing your native hair to shockloss, secondly you will likely need to top up your hair with further hair transplants own the line. Then you have to decide Fue vs fut as well. You are in a good position now, take your time, seriously think everything over and make an informed decision. However if you do go ahead, rahal is very good. Someone like him would probably recommend 2000-2500 grafts, more or less depending on how aggressive/conservative you want to go, price depends on fue or fut etc but you will pay a large premium for fue, however for your amount of loss, is it worth getting a strip scar?. Either way contact them for a free consult, they are very efficient there and one of the most helpful clinics i was in contact with. also check out the hair restoration network website for further advice and to see lots of results of other drs in your area whom you may like to consult with. all the best

I thought shock loss is not permanent ???

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It depends on the condition of the hair you have in the recipient area. If it is already unhealthy there is no guarantee that it will grow back. Hair loss surgeons generally prefer to restore bald areas than work in between existing hairs for this reason. Its not so much of a problem that that should be the deciding factor, but it is a consideration, you may not end up with the density you require.

My personal belief is that the op seems to have not done enough research, has not consulted enough and his motives to restore his hair because his brother has good hair would set alarm bells ringing. You need to make this decision with cold hard, objectivity, which is difficult as hairloss is so emotional. However there is every chance you could have an op now and regret it if you dont know exactly what your getting yourself into. This isnt like going to buy a new car, this is something you will live with till the day you die, so make sure you research as it is a lifetime commitment, you need to know what the commitment is.

alex342

Reaction score
I agree that I havent done enough research but that is what im trying to do now. Its not like Im going to go get this done tomorrow but I want to see what my options are.