Loosing battlle, toy with spironolactone or go onto Dutasteride?

Reaction score
Hey everyone

Ive been on Propecia nizoral and xandrox5% and 12.5lotion on the hairline for about 18 months now. I had great initial results, at about 4 months, and has peaked at 6 months and slowly declined eversince. Its getting to the stage now where i really need to start doing something else. Either continue the battle, or just say '%$£% it'!

At the moment i have a few options. Basically, its my hairline that is suffering, withthe hairs going quite sparse and thinner, the front is always more sensive to the rest of my hair, but i know, overall, its just a reflection of overall loss. Now, is spironolactone all that? Could it really help thicken up my hair at the front and temples?

I was travelling 4 for months and dropped 12.5 with seemily no adverse effects, then by end of travelling it wasnt all great, so i thought id start 12.5 again and see if it helped. Well, 4 months on it hasnt. . . .

So for me its either Dutasteride, or spironolactone. . . .

Ideally id like to see if spironolactone would help, but im at a stage where i wonna just try Dutas. I have it sitting waiting just havnt started it yet. .. . . . . little scared, but i do like my hair and i think its just anxiety making it feel worse than it is. . .ive had no probs on Propecia with sides. Slightly thinner body hair and less *** hair but thats expected. . .

Let me know your thoughts.. . . ..

Im thinking of doing 0.5mg EOD

Jamie

CCS

Reaction score
I don't know. It would be easier to answer that question if I knew why the front is the first to thin. Some think it is just more sensitive to androgens, but I'm not sure it is that simple.

Reaction score
thats for your reply.

But based on your knowledge of the sucess of spironolactone and the success of dutasteride, what do you think i should do based on also what i HAVE been doing.

The front is thinning but it is in ratio i think to the rest of my hair, so im thinking dont bother with spironolactone. . . . ?

Must be some people on here in similar situation?

maybe try another forum 'room'?

Jamie

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Don't do dutasteride without at least an anti-androgen or 17a estradiol along the front part of your head, because it increases testosterone, and you may lose hair because of that increase if you don't take preventative measures.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but what are you baseing that on , with regards to the extra testosterone?

Sure ill have more free testosterone but as far as im aware that wouldnt have any negative impact on my hair. . . . . .its just a result of the reduction of DHT conversion.

that is estrodol? Sounds like a tranny pill. . . .

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hmm yes well only anecdotal reports of increased thinning on dutasteride in the front. Maybe I am all bent out of shape on this.

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
I hate to sound like a broken record...

but if finasteride isn't giving you the fancy you desire, get on dutasteride, get on spironolactone!

The spironolactone shouldn't sound like such a big deal to everyone - its safe (topical, that is) and easy to apply (especially with the new foam).

The front is generally more sensitive to androgens than the top/crown, which is why you need the spironolactone to combat the increased test.

Again, this needs to be in a the fAQ's/stickies!

What gives?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Yeah,

get on Avodart daily, and apply topical spironolactone. I really think you'll like the results.

Talk to your doctor, too. :)

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And is there proof testosterone causes hair loss in men? Or is this just a conception brought about by a few anecdotal report of frontal hair thinning on dutasteride?

Reaction score
im not hesitate to use spironolactone for any saftey concerns, im just wondering if its worth the effort. Its all to easy to clutch at straws when trying to fix something you dont wonna accept and end up putting a whole shop of chemicals on your head for little actual gains. I wonn make sure im actually using the correct treatments and not wasting my time

regards for the reply.

I feel dutasteride is a last resort as, it IS scary, well, a little. Propecia was but ive warmed to it now, its no biggy, dutasteride is a 'big gun', and i want to get into a state of mind where im happy using it. If spironolactone could keep my current 'setup' for another few years, why jump on dutas just yet. . .if though it cant, based on ppls experiences then . . i may as well

J

Renegade said:
I hate to sound like a broken record...

but if finasteride isn't giving you the fancy you desire, get on dutasteride, get on spironolactone!

The spironolactone shouldn't sound like such a big deal to everyone - its safe (topical, that is) and easy to apply (especially with the new foam).

The front is generally more sensitive to androgens than the top/crown, which is why you need the spironolactone to combat the increased test.

Again, this needs to be in a the fAQ's/stickies!

What gives?

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, I went back and read your original - it's basically your hairline that's going?

If that is the case, then I actually would only recommend the addition of spironolactone 5% for the hairline/temples. If your crown/top is still in tact, then dutasteride really isn't even needed in my opinion.

Also, maybe swap up your regular minoxidil for some of Dr. Lee's w/ retin-A for your pm apps. Hope that helps.

Cheers!

CCS

Reaction score
just buy Lee's $10 retina and put 2mL in generic minoxidil. Minoxidil with 0.025% retin-A may be too irritating for most people to handle on a daily basis. At least some people can only handle the 0.025% straight retin-A twice a week. I think you can get good results at a lower concentration, and save a lot of money.