Lopezarus's Story27 - (with pics!!. Any advice appreciated!)

lopezarus

Reaction score
Hello

I am a 27 year old male. I naturally have very thick hair but over the past 3 years I have noticed some thinning in particular at the front of my head near the temples. I also have quite a lot of grey hair for my age.

It seems like I am losing a lot of hair especially in my bed and in the shower (looks like hundreds of hairs after washing it).

My scalp can feel quite itchy/sore/tender especially in the worst affected areas near the temples. However I don't suffer from dandruff.

I have heard that some cases of hair loss can be due to a skin condition (like Psoriasis) rather than male pattern baldness.

I am half english half spanish (if that helps).

I am getting increasingly concerned with my hair loss and would like to take action sooner rather than later.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 2,038
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 2,035
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 191

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Re: 27 year old male with pics. Any advice appreciated!

Ok attention everyone, this guy's hair is EXACTLY how my hair is right now. So now I don't need to show any pictures because you all know. Lopezarus, I am interested to hear what people say about your situation because mine is the same but I am alot older than you. Mine is pretty much the same length as yours too.

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score

looks like a mature hairline to me or maybe just out of the mature hairline range, looks to be a nw2-2.5ish, but as you said your noticing alot of hair in places, could maybe be male pattern baldness, but i wouldnt be able to say that you have male pattern baldness for sure as many guys have normal hairlines like that, have you tried going to a derm. to get your hair mapped out for miniaturization?

also how old are you house?

amsch

Reaction score

kerzyguy said:
looks like a mature hairline to me or maybe just out of the mature hairline range, looks to be a nw2-2.5ish, but as you said your noticing alot of hair in places, could maybe be male pattern baldness, but i wouldnt be able to say that you have male pattern baldness for sure as many guys have normal hairlines like that, have you tried going to a derm. to get your hair mapped out for miniaturization?

also how old are you house?

OMG kerzguy.

This is male pattern baldness, forgett the "mature hairline" bullshit ;).

Most people here use the so called big 3, which is Propecia (or proscar, its the same stuff but a different dosage) Minoxidil and Nizoral shampoo.

If you want to keep the hair you've got you should be fine with propecia only. But I'd suggest to stay away from the boards and just come here to update your story every 2-3 months.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Alex, he is no more than a NW2. There is no such thing as a NW2.5. I would say a solid NW2. S.a.f., do you agree with me, oh mighty one.

amsch

Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
Alex, he is no more than a NW2. There is no such thing as a NW2.5. I would say a solid NW2. S.a.f., do you agree with me, oh mighty one.

Hm, okay, Norwood 2 MAX. But the thick hair makes it look like non-balding hair.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Well Amsch, you really are correct because a NW3 is considered the first stage of balding. He obvious is not at that level yet but if he has alot of miniaturization which most likely he does not, he would be considered balding to a NW3. However, if he does have a strong family history of balding, now is the time to start Propecia if he wants to lower his chances of going to a NW3. If he has no family history then he might just use Nano shampoo and conditioner and just watch things carefully. I have a strong family history of balding. My dad and his dad went to a NW7. They both were balding already at 18. I obviously have the gene but it may have not been turned on until maybe a 3 or 4 years ago.

lopezarus

Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the feedback so far.

I'll try and give a bit more info now.

My mothers father went completely bald. My father has always had quite large widows peaks but he still has hair on top at the age of 61 (althougth it is quite thin now). My fathers father had a full set of hair at the age of 80 (lucky guy). Seems like a bit of a lottery to me. Lookswise I take after my father.

Initially I had very very thick hair (like too thick, if there is such a thing). At the age of 20 i noticed i was loosing a lot of hair in the shower and in bed but didn't worry to much as there was no signs that i was receding. During the last 3-5 years i have noticed the recession at the temples and suffered from the itching/soreness in this area. The hair on the top of my head is still fairly thick but no where near as thick as it used to be.

I fear i may be heading for NW3 as the hair local to the receded areas looks and feels thinner (especially when looked at under a light). But my front (the peak area) still feels quite strong.

I have used Head & Shouders for the last 5 years but i am going to stop as i have been told it is quite harsh. Further to info on the boards i am going to switch to a combo of Nizoral 2% and Kiehls Amino Acid.

At the moment I have a floppy fringe (Beatles ish) haircut which hides my recession quite well. I am worried if my recession continues this will be difficult to keep up.

Thanks again everyone.

muhu

Established Member
Reaction score
um...could it be that you simply have a widow's peak? your hair looks extremely thick.

Jokerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Losing "hundreds" of hairs a day = male pattern baldness.

Good idea to quit H&S. I probably shed at least double the amount of hair as usual when I was using it and other dandruff shampoos (Nizoral not included).

lopezarus

Reaction score
I've never really suffered from dandruff but about 5 years ago i started to suffer from an itchy scalp. I was previously using whatever shampoo was in the cupboard. I switched to H & S and it seemed to sort it out.

I've been losing a lot of year for maybe 7 years now. I would say there's over 100 when i wash my hair and also a hell of a lot in my bed. Its hard to say but i reckon i must be loosing about 150 per day.

Recently my barber said H & S can be really harsh so i'm switching to nizoral and Kiehls amino acid shampoo. See what happens.