Losing hair on sides of head as well?

DENI3D

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going deep into hair loss now, but I'm curious if its normal male pattern baldness to lose hair on the sides of your head as well. My dad has extremely thin hair on the side of his head, completely bald on the top (he is 50) but I'm curious how normal/unnormal it is to lose hair on your sides as well as your top. I don't seem to notice that as much but maybe its because the top of your head is so noticeable you wouldn't really recognize thin hair on someones side? Seriously considering finasteride but I'm hesitant, I know 100% I'm going to lose my hair without it :sad:

g.i joey

Reaction score
Its normal. It just means that once the top is allll gone the sides will go too.. Happened to my dad he's 65 now and his horseshoe is going. My brother beat that aggressive male pattern baldness with propecia for a solid 6 years now. I'm sort of in the middle due to going on and off cause it causes gyno to flare up

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Practically unheard of honestly to loose any on your sides with male pattern baldness.
Are you sure it's not something else? Maybe see a doctor.
As you said you're still suffering from male pattern baldness.

gi.joey that's pretty amazing how your brother stopped his balding for 6 years with propecia, still going on strong I assume?

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My father is a NW6 and his sides are VERY thick (he's been more or less at the same level of hair loss for 15+ years)

I'm NW5 and although i havent been here long my sides are still crazy thick

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm going deep into hair loss now, but I'm curious if its normal male pattern baldness to lose hair on the sides of your head as well.

Yes, it's possible to lose hair on the sides of the head from Androgenetic Alopecia. It's called DUPA 'Diffused UnPatterned Alopecia' and is uncommon in men and more common in women.

If you want to stop your Androgenetic Alopecia in the long term, you'll need to take Finasteride. It will not hurt to try Finasteride, if you get side effects from the medication, you can simply discontinue use and they'll subside.

shookwun

Reaction score
yeah some agressive NW7s iv'e met had diffusion along the sides also, not so much the back though.

archdemon123

Established Member
Reaction score
Sides is possible, but I wouldn't really consider it to be normal. Same as back. In most cases the hair will, while it can suffer from loss of thickness, still remain quite consistent. But I've seen men diffusing on sides as well, so I get what you mean.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
chiming in losing hair on the sides as well one more severe then the other.

There is a lot of mixed info online about it. Some people say donor areas should not be effected by male pattern baldness others say it is male pattern baldness but really aggressive.

Just from what I read online what could cause side loss

DUPA (Diffused Unpatterned Alopecia)
Retrograde Alopecia
Alopecia Universalis
Alopecia Totalis
Thyroid
Telogen Efflivium

Some people say they experience side/back loss when they are on propecia as well.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Practically unheard of honestly to loose any on your sides with male pattern baldness.
Are you sure it's not something else? Maybe see a doctor.
As you said you're still suffering from male pattern baldness.

gi.joey that's pretty amazing how your brother stopped his balding for 6 years with propecia, still going on strong I assume?

Yes sir. He's been an nw2.5 for years now. Just to clarify my grandma went bald due to stress and poor living condition. Her husband, my grandfather has a full head at 91! And my dad at 65 is almost slick bald with the thin horseshoe the hair above his sideburns definitely went back

shookwun

Reaction score
hair loss on the sides in a uniform pattern like this and long the neck nape is typically known as retrograde alopecia

IMG_4213.jpg

DENI3D

Established Member
Reaction score
hair loss on the sides in a uniform pattern like this and long the neck nape is typically known as retrograde alopecia

IMG_4213.jpg

Basically have exact same hair loss but not that far yet, but I'm also losing it on top as well.

mogro0022

Reaction score

IMG_4213.jpg

Wow, my hair looks like that too. My crown became thinner sometime 2 years ago but it never changed after that. However, 3 months ago the back and sides of my head (especially above the ear and to the left and right of my crown) thinned out similar to the pic above. I'm getting blood tests done to rule out a Thyroid problem or weird hormone imbalance. Hopefully it's the former because I've been on finasteride since November and a hormone imbalance could mean that it might not work for me. :sad:

0-100realquick

Established Member
Reaction score
How long can I realistically expect to get even if it does work?

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what you are saying here but I am going to try to answer this as best I can. Finasteride for most people either completely halts hairloss or significantly reduces hairloss. You can expect to start seeing results by 6 months, but should evaluate at 12+ months. For many people finasteride has been able to completely stop their hairloss for many years.

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm, i would just love to have sides thinner, since, being kind of difussed on top, it would simply be a more uniform distribution of hair across the whole head.
Anyway, if someone is NW6, what good thick sides for?? It is a non-issue.

Reaction score

IMG_4213.jpg

I think I got a mild version of that. I've always had itching on the inner sideburns and around the ear along with hairline. Was thinking it was just a normal itch until one day my sideburn wouldn't stop itching and it burned a little bit and some short hairs were coming out with bulbs on them