Losing It (Literally and Figuratively): Could Use Some Advice

BruceLeroy

Reaction score
Hi, all. Been browsing the forum for a few weeks and decided to post.

My situation: Approximately two years ago (at 33), my stylist noticed a bald spot on the crown, which was news to me. Since I was going through a considerable amount of stress at the time, I did a tiny bit of research and decided to treat what was possibly anxiety-related hair loss with 1% Nizoral 2-3 times per week.

Owing either to that or just genetics, the bald patch didn't seem to get any worse over time. But over the past six months--and really dramatically over the past two--I've had noticeable thinning through the top of my head and the front. It feels like 50% of the hairs have disappeared. I can see bare patches on my scalp after showering and the top just seems substantially thinner than it's ever been. Unfortunately, due to a family illness, I don't see my stress triggers going away anytime soon, and I'm not even sure that didn't just jump-start a hereditary problem I was due to have anyway.

My questions:

1. Is it worth going to a dermatologist to get a biopsy and see what could be causing the thinning and loss? Or is treatment the same regardless?

2. I'm considering Rogaine, but the prospect of facial bloat is making me hesitate. I have a thin, slight frame, and "moon face" I've gotten from lack of sleep or weight gain or previous corticosteroid use does NOT look good on me AT ALL. I also don't want to use diuretics. If I try Rogaine and find I'm susceptible to facial swelling, will it go away if I discontinue the solution? Could I try to mitigate sides by only using it once a day, or using 2% minoxidil?

3. I've heard the liquid penetrates the scalp better than the foam--but if my hair is thin to begin with, does it make much of a difference?

4. I don't think I have the constitution for Propecia: I have a lot of health anxiety, and the idea of serious sides is very scary. As much as I want to maintain or gain hair, I don't think it's worth the concern I'd have over sexual dysfunction or mental fog. (I've already got my share of that.)

5. Would asking for a 2% ketokonazale shampoo prescription be of any benefit?

6. I already take fish oil and am considering adding Biotin because it doesn't seem like it would hurt. Any opinions on the latter?

I would appreciate any advice. This is really starting to impact my mood. I don't have a lot of physical assets in terms of height or physique, so having a half-head of hair isn't really anything I'm looking forward to. Attaching some photos for reference. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_8379.jpg
    IMG_8379.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_8378.jpg
    IMG_8378.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_8380.jpg
    IMG_8380.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_8381.jpg
    IMG_8381.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 190

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
You have to ask yourself how important is it for you to keep your hair. If you want hair on your head, but don't want to risk the chance of sides, then I am not sure there is a treatment for you. Minoxidil is the "safer" of the two things that work. Most people will only complain about scalp irritation. But hey this is the internet so I have heard about other sides including ED(what a surprise) among other things. I won't get into finasteride, because again this is the internet and I have pretty much heard that finasteride can cause everything you can imagine. At the end of the day every drug effective against hair loss has the potential for sides. If you don't like the idea of losing your hair, you will have to take some risk. Shampoos will have a minimal effect. Oils and other nonsense are a waste of time.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
^^ notcoolanymore is right. Weigh up the risks, and the odds of experiencing side effects and make your decision. If you won't consider finasteride then look at RU58841, supposedly as effective as finasteride, but topical so safer. Far more expensive though. Without dht inhibition your hair will only get worse over the next 2-5 years.

Crow

Reaction score
I can't give you much advice other than to say that I've been on Finasteride for 2 1/2 years and I haven't experienced a single noticeable side effect. For me the risk was worth it to maintain my hair, which I have.