Lots of shedding - 5 months.

HTnewbie

Reaction score
A little background. 29 years old, been seeing my crown thinning for about 3 years now. Now the more I look the more I see my entire top thin out a little, but still most noticeable at the crown. I was doing the minoxidil here and there but never took it serious until about 5 months ago. I went to a local hair surgeon and he suggested minoxidil and propecia.

At that point I was buzzing my hair all around at about a #2. I've been sticking with the plan religiously since then. I've also been doing Nizoral non prescription strength M-W-F. At the same time, I've let my hair grow, and with the way I style it (somewhat spiky) it covers up a lot of my crown coverage (or lack thereof). I also figure with letting the rest of my hair grow out, I wouldn't be as concerned with trying to nitpick for quick results.

My question is, now I am seeing tons of shedding. Not so much when I am shampooing (only see about 5 or so), but I see a lot when I am applying the minoxidil liquid. I mean I look down and see a good amount in the fingers I use to massage it in. If I then run my hair through my hair I get a good 20+

This is freaking the heck out of me. I've read of late sheds and I've read of people reacting to too much Nizoral. I don't have any discomfort whatsoever from any of the products, the shedding is just beginning to worry me.

Anyone care to shed any advice or experience similar issues?

Thanks in advance.

vellusfarmer

Reaction score
I'm not sure if that is alarming. You have to remember that normally people lose 100 hairs a day, even if they wouldn't have male pattern baldness. This is due to the hair growth cycle, part of them fall out anyway no matter what.

HTnewbie

Reaction score
Hi vellusfarmer, thanks for the reply.

It wouldn't be so alarming if I didn't think the number of loose hairs I see weren't increasing. I've had my hair around the same length for several months now and the amount that I find in my hands, even if I just run my fingers through my hair casually, is increasing.

I should've also added that I've started working out on a consistent basis for the past month or so. Other than that, my diet and work schedule have not changed significantly.

When I do see these hairs, I rarely see the white on end of the hair. Not sure if that is a good or bad sign?

HTnewbie

Reaction score
Still seeing massive amounts while applying minoxidil...I'd guess 40-50 hairs in my hand.

Anyone else experience this around the 5-6 month mark? If so, is it a sign of better progress around the corner?