Low Dose Isotretinoin | Any Success Stories?

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, at the moment I am shedding some more hairs than I usually do. I decided to go to my dermatologist and he prescribed me a low dose of Isotretinoin (10mg - 3x week). He told me that my scalp was really oily and that this drug could help me stop the shed.

I've been taking the drug for the past 3,5 weeks. My scalp is a lot less oily, but the shed continues.

Any of you had success taking this drug?

You can see my full story here: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/shedding-after-4-years-on-finasteride.102961/
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/shedding-after-4-years-on-finasteride.102961/
Actual regime:

- Finasteride 1mg (1x daily) | 4 years;
- Minoxidil 5% (1x daily) | 1 year;
- Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo (1x daily) | 1 year;
- Isotretinoin 10mg (3x week) | 3,5 weeks;

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Nobody tried/trying this treatment?

Thanks for your time! :)

whoken

Reaction score
I advise you to stop this treatment, Isotretinoin can cause hair loss...

You should also switch your dermatologist.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, some people have tried this treatment in the past with no apparent success. Search the forums.

Sebum can be a side-effect of hair loss but is never the cause itself.

Furthermore, you should immediately discontinue the usage of isotretinoin. Isotretinoin is a very potent drug that induces apoptosis in some cell types - notably sebaceous glands - and can irreversibly change the expression of genes involved in the metabolism of vitamin A into retinol and its many end-products. This then has an impact on a wide range of body functions involving lipids. While it is true that the effect is dose-dependent, the fact that the effects accumulate over time means isotretinoin should only be prescribed in very severe cases of acne (e.g. cystic).

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@whoken and @Giiizmo thanks for your feedback!

This is super strange, 'cause my dermatologist is known for being the best treating hair loss here in Portugal, you can find some info about him here: http://trichologylisbon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/CV-Rui-Oliveira-Soares.pdf
http://trichologylisbon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/CV-Rui-Oliveira-Soares.pdf
I really don't know what to do... But I think that I'll stop the treatment. I'm really stressed about this shed and I think that things are getting worse (I'm shedding more hairs) but my hair looks the same. :(

constrictedvoid

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, some people have tried this treatment in the past with no apparent success. Search the forums.

Sebum can be a side-effect of hair loss but is never the cause itself.

Furthermore, you should immediately discontinue the usage of isotretinoin. Isotretinoin is a very potent drug that induces apoptosis in some cell types - notably sebaceous glands - and can irreversibly change the expression of genes involved in the metabolism of vitamin A into retinol and its many end-products. This then has an impact on a wide range of body functions involving lipids. While it is true that the effect is dose-dependent, the fact that the effects accumulate over time means isotretinoin should only be prescribed in very severe cases of acne (e.g. cystic).

Do any of these things apply to topical tretinoin?

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry @iamgotham, I wish I had better news but I can't say that I've read any positive reports about isotretinoin.

Here are a couple more threads closely related to yours although they don't offer much more info:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...lease-tell-me-your-story.101258/#post-1371983
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/vitamin-a-overdose.97420/#post-1333067

@constrictedvoid: Despite being closely related, isotretinoin and tretinoin are very different drugs. Besides being harsh for your skin and possibly causing some hair to temporary fall out because of dryness or irritation, tretinoin won't have the drastic effects of isotretinoin, the latter only being used orally anyway. As for the efficacy of tretinoin for hair loss, apart from some very anecdotal stories, it's pretty much anyone's guess.

Suswang

Established Member
Reaction score
I just saw your post now but have been posting about this subject for a couple months on here.

I was recommended very low dose isotretinoin for hair loss, as well, but I was a bit afraid to take it and also was worried that I would need to continue taking it permanently. My dermatologist, like yours, believes my scalp issues are all related (hair loss and seborrheic dermatitis). I would be surprised if such a low dose was making your hair loss worse after only 3.5 weeks.

Do you have scalp acne or seborrheic dermatitis? Any facial acne?

I see you are on finasteride. Did your skin issues get better or worse as a result of it?

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just saw your post now but have been posting about this subject for a couple months on here.

I was recommended very low dose isotretinoin for hair loss, as well, but I was a bit afraid to take it and also was worried that I would need to continue taking it permanently. My dermatologist, like yours, believes my scalp issues are all related (hair loss and seborrheic dermatitis). I would be surprised if such a low dose was making your hair loss worse after only 3.5 weeks.

Do you have scalp acne or seborrheic dermatitis? Any facial acne?

I see you are on finasteride. Did your skin issues get better or worse as a result of it?

Hey @Suswang thanks for your post! :)

After a little bit more than one month on the drug I stopped taking it. My body didn't feel the same (liver related) and in the following day after taking the pill I was shedding like crazy. Also my scalp and skin got really dry!

I'm now on Nizoral 2x a week, this shampoo helps me with the sebum and also decreases the DHT levels on the scalp.

After using Finasteride my skin was a lot less oily, but that was my only "side-effect".